16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 5:29 AM by jamesorlowski88

Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails

JamSki88

This is my first attempt at exporting a video using CS4's media encoder, and when I try, the encoder app seems to not be able to "find" or load the Premiere CS4 sequence.  It seems to fail after a few minutes, during which the status of the job is "Waiting" and at the bottom it says "Loading xxxxx.prproj".

Any thoughts?  I'm on an i5 iMac with the CS4 Production suite installed.

Here's the error it gives:

- Source File: /Users/user/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/Wedding.prproj
      - Output File: /Users/user/Video/Projects/Wedding/DVD/_Wedding.mpg
      - Preset Used: Export Widescreen DVD 7Mbps CBR
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 00:12:19
      Sun Dec 20 15:56:11 2009 : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, as you are on a Mac, many of my "usual suspects" are out the window.

Now, I'd wonder if something on your Mac is "locking" the file. On a PC, one of those usual suspects is Windows Indexing. Does the Mac has similar. Basically, this is a search enhancer. Doesn't the Mac have something called Spotlight, or similar?

Besides the file getting "locked," could it be in use by any other program, as unlikely as it seems?

Please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's and how they're allocated. It could be some major bottleneck in disk read/write.

Just some thoughts, and possibly none that are the cause.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
            JamSki88 Level 1

No special disk set-up here.  Just the internal 2 TB drive.  The system works well otherwise.  All I'm doing is a basic File... Export... Media... and choosing MPEG2.  The encoder launches, then hangs, and fails after a few minutes.

It does make a tempory project in my /Temp folder.

I'm at a loss.  So I'm going to export to a DV tape and then acquire the clip.  I'll then bring that clip into Encore.  A round-about way of doing this, but if I can't get the Encoder to work, I don't know how to get this video out of my computer.

I wish CS4 exportted the same as CS3 did.  That was so simple.  And it worked.

I can't even export a simple WAV file.  It just sits there "Waiting".

• 3. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I can't even export a simple WAV file.  It just sits there "Waiting".

That sounds like an issue with your installation of CS4. Have you updated to the very latest for all components?

Sorry that I don't have any more thoughts, but I am heavily Mac-impaired. Maybe a Mac-user will drop by with just the fix that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                JamSki88 Level 1

It's a fresh install of CS4 with all updates.

I wonder if--for future projects--I can install my PPro CS3 only and use that.  The exporting in CS3 was SO MUCH BETTER (since it worked).

• 5. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There should be no problem running both CS3 and CS4 on the same machine (that is true in PC-land anyway).

The only caveat was when one had installed CS3 first, then installed CS4 and removed CS3. Some of the uninstallation of CS3 took folders/files necessary for CS4 with it. A Repair Install of CS4 usually fixed this quickly. Other than that, your plan should work fine, however, most users really like the AME in CS4, so I would not give up finding the problem. The batch encoding, alone, would be worth the effort.

Good luck, and please update the thread when you do get it sorted out.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                    JamSki88 Level 1

Found this other similar thread that dates back to February with other users having this exact problem.  No solution (other than downgrading to CS3) was offered.  Even Adobe was clueless.

I'm not hopeful.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1736539

• 7. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to that old thread, did this Adobe KB Article not help you?

Also, are you on Snow Leopard - I've forgotten? The reason that I ask is that some Adobe programs were having issues with it. Apple was working on an update to the OS, but I do not know the disposition of those updates.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                        JamSki88 Level 1

No, that KB from Adobe is of no help to me on OSX.

I'm on Snow Leopard.

As a test, I ran the encoder on my Macbook Pro laptop with Snow Leopard.  I started a DV widescreen job, put in a clip, and sent it to the encoder.  IT worked fine.  But that test project was MUCH less complex.  I'm going to tote my project to my laptop and see if it'll encode there.

I should note that on my Macbook, Premiere is ver 4.2.  I think I'll hold off the 4.2.1 upgrade for now.

• 9. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                          JamSki88 Level 1

I think I'm a bit closer to why this is happening.

If I try to add a PPro sequence from the Media Encoder, after about 3 minutes of a spinng beach ball, I get a pop-up error: "An Adobe Dynamic Link error occured."

The same thing happens if I try to import a PPro sequence in Encore.  So, I think my dynamic link functionality is broken.

I suppose I could reinstall the suite to see if that fixes it, but I'd hate to lose all my third party AE effects and have to reinstall all those, too.

• 10. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Shot in the dark, and also from the PC-world (I know that some Mac-users consider that the "Dark Side"), but on the PC, one can do a Repair Install. It starts the same as a regular Install, but when the system survey is done, will be an option. This has saved many hours of unnecessary work, and is relatively simple to do. After that first system survey, when Repair Install is chosen, there is a second survey done for the program in the suite, that are installed. This charts all missing, or broken components, and will then only address those for the particular program.

Maybe that will help, and save you some valuable time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                              JamSki88 Level 1

Thanks.  I'll try it.  My dynamic linking is defiantly the issue.  It just doesn't work.  Since this is a fresh install, it must have never worked.

And I have no problems with PCs.  I use a PC (with the CS3 suite) at work, and the Mac at home.  I consider myself "OS agnostic."

I'll try a reinstall and let you know.  I dumped my project to DV tape, and re-acquired it so I could at least get it into a single file.  I then imported that Quicktime in to Encore, and now it's transcoding.  So, a roundabout way of getting this simple task done, but I was at a loss how to do it otherwise.

• 12. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                                JamSki88 Level 1

Unfortunately, a reinstall doesn't help.  Dynamic linking just doesn't work, which renders the Media Encoder useless.

• 13. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  I consider myself "OS agnostic."

I like that term. I'm Mac-illiterate, except for teaching PS on a Mac many years ago, I know nothing.

I wish that I had something more to offer, but I am out of tricks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                                    JamSki88 Level 1

FIXED!

Thanks to some points in this thread, I have solved my problem.

It was the KNOLL LIGHT FACTORY plug-in.  I removed it, and the Adobe Media Encoder now works on my system.  I assume that DYNAMIC LINKING between the CS4 apps also now works, but have yet to test that.

This also explains why my CS4 suite works on my MacBook Pro; I never installed KLF on my laptop.

Now I need to tell RED GIANT SOFTWARE about this problem, and either get a solution from them, or a refund.

Thanks.  You can add this solution to your collective repertoires in case a future OSX user encounters this exact problem.

• 15. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

It's *possible* that you can keep using KLF if you uninstall it, then reinstall it to a different location.  I'm flying blind for Mac stuff, but on Windows the usual default install location is in the plugins folder inside of the main application folder.

But on Windows there is an alternate install location for plugins that can be accessed by all of the suite apps, theoretically.  You have to drill down to it.  It's the Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore folder.  If you install KLF into that folder instead, the AME may be able to access it when it tries to render the Pr sequence.

There is yet a third location that is *specific* to the AME: Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder CS4\Plug-ins\common.

So you have a couple of options for possible workarounds.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Exporting widescreen DV project to Media Encoder Fails
                                        jamesorlowski88

Yes, there is a "MediaCore" folder on the OSX side, and it's from there where I removed the Knoll Light Factory 2.5 folder.  After I did that, all was well.  I haven't yet removed the AEX files from the AE's Plugin folder.