6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 3:19 AM by -Subbi

premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?

goldentrails4u

I recently installed 8.0 premiere elements and have had nothing but trouble with it. First off: there is no printed documentation unlike with 3.0, I purchaswd a third party manual, Organizer is terrible- keeps freezing up, cannot edit movies on timeline or sceneline without going through all kinds of hooplah just to get them in movie window. Instant movie is a big pain can't get rid of the soundtrack it rides on top of my soundtrack. 8.0 has some desirable features if you can figure out how to use them. Whoever thought that online help would replace a manual definitely was from another planet. I am aggravated, frustrated, highly disappointed in this product I'm going to return it and go with something user friendly, not something designed for someone with a masters in computer science. Then again maybe it's me, maybe it conflicts with 3.0 which I still have on my hard drive. Does anyone know the answer? I thought my system was good enough to run 8.0, even with vista it does well with no problems for 3.0 I'v got 2.0 gb of ram, 1.73ghz dual core intel processor (T2080 32 bit) and 160 gb hard drive. Also I have a 500 gb external hard drive I'm using for a scratch disk.

• 1. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          First off: there is no printed documentation unlike with 3.0, I purchaswd a third party manual, Organizer is terrible- keeps freezing up, cannot edit movies on timeline or sceneline without going through all kinds of hooplah just to get them in movie window. Instant movie is a big pain can't get rid of the soundtrack it rides on top of my soundtrack. 8.0 has some desirable features if you can figure out how to use them.

I completely feel your pain in this respect. Too many software mfgrs. think that Help files will replace printed manuals. In my "old-fashioned" book, they do not. I've downloaded tons of PDF's, reformatted them, and then printed them out, just because I want a printed reference handy. Also, most Help files are nearly useless, IMHO. If one knows the exact convention used for that particular operation, or Effect, all is better, but still not perfect. Even with years of experience and two video-editing glossaries handy, many terms have been change per each version of several programs.

Now, there is hope on the horizon. The MOD of this forum, Steve Grisetti has written several books on PrE, and I highly recommend them all. These can be found at Muvipix. There is also a series, The Missing Manuals for ____, that seem to do a good job too.

Don't think that it's just PrE, as the same can be said for PrPro, though last time that I looked, Adobe did sell the manuals. Not THAT long ago, I bought the complete set for CS2 for US$60. Well worth it to me. Do not know the current state with recent Adobe PrPro suites. Also, Adobe is not alone in this, as many other software companies are doing the same. Pinnacle stopped doing manuals at about version 8, and I do not think they have reinitiated the practice of doing manuals with later releases, but could be wrong. Heck, I can name a dozen companies, that do NLE's, or similar, where no manual exists, there is no forum support, and no one has done a book on them. Bogus!

Now, after the recommend books above, there are several posts on PrE 8 and fixes for some of your problems. A. T. Romano has done a wonderful "First Impressions" post, not THAT long ago, and he covers many of the same things that you complain about, plus offers settings and fixes. Same for Steve Grisetti, and also a contributor, Ozpeter. Those posts are well worth the effort to search for. I recently posted a link to A. T. Romano's post, and will look for it, to save you some searching.

Good luck, and feel comfort in that some feel the same as you do. Take some comfort that there are some fixes, and most are easy, for many of the issues. They do appear in this forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, here is ATR's ARTICLE. with lots of useful observations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
              goldentrails4u Level 1

I feel that when a manufacturer such as Adobe releases a program,

especially one that has been in their family for as log as premie

re has, that it would come as advertized.  Whether I pay $50

or $500 for the software I expect it to be reasonably bug

free, not where I am to the point of pulling my hair out.  Premiere 8 has been a total nightmare for me, I had to go back to 3.02 to finish a project I was doing.  Though there are some very nice features in 8.0, they don't do me any good unless I can load clips on the timelines, and with all the changes and features in 8.0, how did Adobe ever think a new user would be able to figure it out without documentation.

I give 8.0 1/2 star.

• 4. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree completely.

However, I'm not sure that what you are experiencing is Bugs. That is why I linked to some articles on setup and on settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You've given a few of your system's specs. Maybe fill in the blanks with the rest, like the amount of defragmented free space on your single internal HDD. Here's an ARTICLE that will give you an idea of the type of info, that will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: premiere elements continually freezing, what gives?
                    -Subbi Adobe Employee

Hello there,

You said "Instant movie is a big pain can't get rid of the soundtrack it rides on top of my soundtrack"

You have a way to control the Audio-level of the soundtrack in Instant Movie. You can do this by just moving the audio slider in the "Customization" pane of Instant Movie. (The pane where you add your credits - that is the last step before the Instant Movie get created.

Do try this and revert back so that we all know if that worked for you and also try and look at other issues faced by you.

EM