5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 2:10 AM by vfxwizard

3D Cameras & Null

deakant Level 1

Hi all,

I am using Adobe Production Studio Premium CS3. I have created clouds using particular with a 3d camera (field of depth is turned on) and a null pick wick is linked to the clouds. The camera only moves on it's Z axis (moving forward, so no particular complex movements.) So you can see the camera flying through the clouds in a staright line.

I have then imported a JPEG image looking down at ocean and land. I have then made the JPEG image into 3D and have done nothing else.

The problem is here. When I put the JPEG into 3D it moves with the clouds 3D and null.

Why?

All I want to do with the JPEG image is for the image to move on it's Z axis at a slower speed than the clouds.

But how do I achieve this?

Thank you

josel

• 1. Re: 3D Cameras & Null
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to move the jpeg into the distance, a long way behind your other layers.  Set the Z position of the jpeg layer (probably in the thousands) then adjust the scale and position until it suits your needs.

• 2. Re: 3D Cameras & Null
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I don't quite picture what you are describing, but the 3D layer moving with the camera would indicate that it is eitehr also parented to the Null, or, which with respect to that particular Particular cloud fly through preset is quite possible, nothing is moving at all. The preset I have in mind merely spits a ton of particles at the camera using the emitter velocity, but the whole scene is otherwise static. In both cases you simply would have to create some extra position keyframes on your image layer to get a working illusion of an overfly...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 3D Cameras & Null
              deakant Level 1

Hi

I have placed the footage on Youtube which is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUctZYNsS-s

Please ignore the first second or two as this is work in progress.

From viewing the footage you can see the camera flies through the clouds and comes out the other end. You will see the JPEG image (the Oceean and smalls bits of clouds.) Now this is the problem you can see the image staying still. I have not placed a null to the JPEG image at all. The only thing I do is press the 3D button to make it into 3D. When I do this the JPEG image moves at the same speeds as the clouds, which is way to fast for the JPEG.(ocean to be moving.)

Hope this helps to understand.

Thank yoy once again

josel

• 4. Re: 3D Cameras & Null
                vfxwizard

deakant wrote:

The only thing I do is press the 3D button to make it into 3D. When I do this the JPEG image moves at the same speeds as the clouds, which is way to fast for the JPEG.(ocean to be moving.)

Use this setup, but move the background jpeg in Z far away. It will become very small, so scale the layer to make it again as large as the screen. This way you'll fake the parallax effect (objects at different depths perceived to move at different speeds).

Or, easier, just leave it 2d and keyframe its size so that at the end of the animation the bg is only slightly larger.

BTW, for this shot to work better you should place the sun flare in a separate layer, moving it further away from the camera. Also, a slight downward movement of the planet layer could help sell the shot more than scaling it.

Edit: oops, Andrew already gave this answer and without seeing the video... :)

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 3D Cameras & Null
                  deakant Level 1

Thank you all