7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 4:25 PM by danadamsdesign

Copying elements around an oval in AI

danadamsdesign

Can anyone please tell me if theres a way to copy a motif evenly around an ovel shape in AI? I know how to do this around a circle but don't want to then squash it and distort the motif.

thanks.

• 1. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
          markerline Level 4

You can attempt to use a Pattern Brush in the Brushes Palette.  Select the object you want to copy to the oval, make a new Brush>Pattern Brush with the New icon in the palette and then assign the stroke to the brush the same way you would assign a color to the brush.

• 2. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You can als ry the method of doing a blend with specified steps and Replacing the spine.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
              JETalmage Level 6
              Can anyone please tell me if theres a way to copy a motif evenly around an ovel shape in AI?

Not intuitively, no.

Pattern Brushes will distort the tiles.

Scatter Brushes should work for this, but do not, because they fail to handle path ends correctly. Dashed Strokes have the same problem.

Illustrator Blends cannot evenly distribute their intermediate steps; the distribution is affected by curve handles.

Just another well-known example of how Illustrator piles features upon features and tools upon tools and still fails for any of them to perform the simplest things adequately.

Ridiculously Unintuitive Workaround:

1. Select the ellipse.

2. Filter>Distort>ZigZag. Size: 0. Points: Smooth (but doesn't really matter). Ridges Per Segment: (Think "points per segment" and set as desired. Understand, because you are starting with an ellipse, which has four segments, you will be limited to total numbers of instances which are divisible by 4.

3. Align copies of your object by snapping them to the resulting anchorPoints. Yes, this is tedious, which is why I use an equally ridiculous workaround involving a Javascript instead:

3. Select>Object>DirectionHandles.

4. Delete. This leaves just the anchorPoints behind as so-called "stray points."

5. Effect>Convert To Shape>Ellipse. This is to create objects which have a size other than zero.

6. Object>Expand Appearance. Makes the ellipses actual paths.

7. Store the artwork that you want to repeat as a Symbol. Then run the Replace With Symbol script that can be found here.

JET

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

danadamsdesign,

If your motif is blendable, you may:

1) Create two instances of the motif at a suitable mutual distance;

2) Create the blend with a specified number of steps that is one less than the desired total number, resulting in one too many (you will have two on top of each other);

3) Create the oval and cut it with the Scissors Tool where you want the first/last motif instance;

4) Object>Path>Add Anchor Points (a number of times);

5) Select blend and oval and Object>Blend>Replace Spine.

Undo 5) and repeat 4) and 5) if/as long as the distribution is ueven.

• 5. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
                  danadamsdesign Level 1

Thanks for all the help! Just realised how much there is I don't know : )

Jacob/Wade, thanks, I think your suggestions are the best solution for my problem.

I went through your steps, Jacob, and all seems straight forward except when I select object>blend at step 5 'replace spine' isn't highlighted?

I'm pretty confident I've done steps 3 and 4 correctly so maybe not doing something right in steps 1 and 2? Any thoughts?

thanks again.

• 6. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

dabadamsdesign, you are welcome.

Are you sure you are selecting both the blend and the oval (otherwise there is nothing to replace the spine with)?

• 7. Re: Copying elements around an oval in AI
                      danadamsdesign Level 1

Got it! Thanks Jacob.