14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2008 10:57 AM by Newsgroup_User

Background Sound

Curtis_at_Salem Level 1
      I'm trying to embed an audio file in a dreamweaver page so it plays automatically when the user visits the page. The wav file I want seems to embed, but when I preview the page (Windows Explorer) I don't hear anything. If I link the audio file it works in explorer, but I want it to play automatically.

One other clue that might help - when I'm in Dreamweaver the play button in the properties area does not work - the message says "unable to find the plugin that handles this media type. Dreamweaver looks in both the configurations/plugins folder, and the plugins for each of your installed browsers". I just had our IT guy check my browser and he says it's fine and that it must be a Dreamweaver problem.

Any ideas? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Background Sound
          Level 7
          > I'm trying to embed an audio file in a dreamweaver page so it plays
          > automatically when the user visits the page. The wav file I want seems to
          > embed, but when I preview the page (Windows Explorer) I don't hear
          > anything.
          > If I link the audio file it works in explorer, but I want it to play
          > automatically.

things to note:

- WAV files are big. Use MP3s instead
          - embedding via HTML is a crapshoot. Use Flash if you want audio
          - automatically playing music on a web site is really really really
          annoying.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Background Sound
            Level 7
            Curtis at Salem wrote:
            > I'm trying to embed an audio file in a dreamweaver page so it plays
            > automatically when the user visits the page. The wav file I want seems to
            > embed, but when I preview the page (Windows Explorer) I don't hear anything.
            > If I link the audio file it works in explorer, but I want it to play
            > automatically.
            >
            > One other clue that might help - when I'm in Dreamweaver the play button in
            > the properties area does not work - the message says "unable to find the plugin
            > that handles this media type. Dreamweaver looks in both the
            > configurations/plugins folder, and the plugins for each of your installed
            > browsers". I just had our IT guy check my browser and he says it's fine and
            > that it must be a Dreamweaver problem.
            >
            > Any ideas? Thanks
            >

Don't do it :)

No seriously, don't, its a big no no in web design.

You can offer a link to the music, that way they have a choice to listen
            to it or not, but never ever ever impose it on your visitor, they will
            never come back.

And, what happens when they change page? The music stops, will the next
            page have the same file? If so, it will just restart again, so please,
            just don't do it.

Steve
            • 3. Background Sound
              Curtis_at_Salem Level 1
              This is actually a page that links off another where the user wants to hear some information and see a specific photo - so this is a unique case - I'm not trying to annoy people.

Background sounds for pages have been easy in other editors I've used - I'm sure this is something simple. Also, tried an mp3 and I'm having the same problem.

Can anyone help? Thanks!!!
              • 4. Re: Background Sound
                Level 7
                Curtis at Salem wrote:
                > This is actually a page that links off another where the user wants to hear
                > some information and see a specific photo - so this is a unique case - I'm not
                > trying to annoy people.
                >
                > Background sounds for pages have been easy in other editors I've used - I'm
                > sure this is something simple.
                >
                > Can anyone help? Thanks!!!

Use a flash mp3 player instead, so the user has full control.

Steve
                • 5. Re: Background Sound
                  Level 7
                  > Can anyone help?

Once again: use Flash.

-Darrel
                  • 6. Re: Background Sound
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant
                    >This is actually a page that links off another where the user wants to hear some
                    >information and see a specific photo - so this is a unique case - I'm not trying to annoy people.

That seems like a reasonable exception. I would suggest using Flash.
                    • 7. Re: Background Sound
                      Curtis_at_Salem Level 1
                      But shouldn't Dreamweaver be able to do this? All the documentation (help, books, etc.) give the same process, but for some reason it won't work. Background sounds are pretty basic - there must be some Dreamweaver setting or something.

It won't even play when I lick the play button in Dreamweaver's Property Inspector button.

Can anyone help?
                      • 8. Re: Background Sound
                        Curtis_at_Salem Level 1
                        I just discovered something - it works if I use a blank HTML page. I used the Travel Theme to create the page - does this somehow wipe out the ability to embed a sound file?
                        • 9. Re: Background Sound
                          Level 7
                          I couldn't imagine that it would. Which DW are you using?

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                          ==================
                          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          ==================

"Curtis at Salem" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:g7a0pb$1ep$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >I just discovered something - it works if I use a blank HTML page. I used
                          >the Travel Theme to create the page - does this somehow wipe out the
                          >ability to embed a sound file?

• 10. Re: Background Sound
                            Level 7

"Curtis at Salem" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:g7a0gs$17f$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> But shouldn't Dreamweaver be able to do this?

Some things that Dreamweaver can do, aren't good things to do. It's even
                            more so (worse) with other editors.

If you'd like to use a Flash MP3 player, I'd be glad to point you to a
                            tutorial on how to do it. It's not hard and works well.

--
                            Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                            --

All the documentation (help,
                            > books, etc.) give the same process, but for some reason it won't work.
                            > Background sounds are pretty basic - there must be some Dreamweaver
                            > setting or
                            > something.
                            >
                            > It won't even play when I lick the play button in Dreamweaver's Property
                            > Inspector button.
                            >
                            > Can anyone help?
                            >

• 11. Re: Background Sound
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              You could also browse around the 'net until you find a page that does what you want, the way you want... then tell your browser to "show the code" so you see what someone else has done
                              • 12. Re: Background Sound
                                Level 7
                                > You could also browse around the 'net until you find a page that does what
                                > you want, the way you want... then tell your browser to "show the code" so
                                > you see what someone else has done

And then hope that method works for everyone else's web browser. ;o)

-Darrel

• 13. Re: Background Sound
                                  Level 7
                                  > Can anyone help?

Seriously...Flash. Use it. Anything else is a crapshoot of browser support,
                                  available plug-ins and user preferences.

-Darrel

• 14. Re: Background Sound
                                    Level 7

"John T Smith" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:g7a1ae$228$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > You could also browse around the 'net until you find a page that does what
                                    > you want, the way you want... then tell your browser to "show the code" so
                                    > you see what someone else has done

Or... he could take the excellent advice offered here and confirmed by 3 or
                                    4 web development professionals. :-)

--
                                    Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                                    Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                                    Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                                    --