• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting an Output for an Access Database

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am preparing to start a new Online Help system that will be catered to an MS Access Database project. The developer will be adding Help tags to the project, but I am trying to figure out which RH output method I should use for a database. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips/tricks that I should know?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

You cannot use CHMs on a network unless you are willing and able to amend the users' registries. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm. Make sure the developer and product manager are aware of this. You should not amend a user's registry in this way without their knowledge and consent.

For server based help you should use WebHelp.

Check carefully with your developer. I was once advised the application was server based so I produced webhelp. Later I was told the applicat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the database will be installed on the users desktop rather than a server, you need a help system designed to run on the desktop, that pretty much means CHMs or AIR help.

I believe that from Access your developer can call CSH from a CHM, he will be able to advise you on that. I don't know AIR help can be called from Access.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response!

We do not use Adobe AIR, so that is not an option. To my understanding, the database project will exist in our folder on our network and users will access it from there. Can HTML Help (.chm file) still be used for this?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHM are designed to be installed locally. If you DB is intranet based you'd be better using an output format (e.g. WebHelp) that is specifically designed to be hosted on a web/intranet site.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You cannot use CHMs on a network unless you are willing and able to amend the users' registries. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/chm_mspatch/896358.htm. Make sure the developer and product manager are aware of this. You should not amend a user's registry in this way without their knowledge and consent.

For server based help you should use WebHelp.

Check carefully with your developer. I was once advised the application was server based so I produced webhelp. Later I was told the application was on the user's desktop and it was only the database that was on a server. You need the help where the application is.

Application Local (Desktop) = CHM

Application on Server = WebHelp.

Your developer does not have to use AIR. You would generate AIR help from RH7 or RH8.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp