2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2009 3:43 PM by artbyruss

Quality of an AVI File

artbyruss Level 1

This is not a premiere elements issue, but I am using the software to create a project.  My problem deals with the quality of the video I took on vacation.  I inadvertently place the camera in a low resolution mode.  Although the video can be seen using Realplayer or Windows media player, the quality is only accepatble for a very small screen.  When I transport the video to my project, the quality is unacceptable.  Is there anyway I can improved the quality of the original video?

• 1. Re: Quality of an AVI File
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is basically a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE/PrPro. There is not much traffic here, so maybe our hard-working MOD, Steve, can move this for you, out to the main forum, where you will get more input.

In the meantime, tell us more about your AVI source material, and how you are getting it into PrE. This ARTICLE will give you some background on the AVI wrapper. Where I am going here is to get the highest possible quality to start with.

Now, how do you hope to deliver this material, maybe on a DVD-Video?

Depending on exactly what you find objectionable in your Video, once we know that you have the best possible source, there are some things that might be able to improve it some. If, when we are sure that you have the best, you could describe the issues for you, we'll be glad to recommend Effects, and treatments to try. Some will require that you experiment, as there are not necessarily Presets that will fix all problems for all source files. At this point, do not expect miracles, and be ready to compromise on the ultimate quality. Unfortunately, there is no "Easy Button," of "Pretty Filter."

Besides Steve moving your post to the main forum, I'd also suggest that you post to the Community (like this forum) at Muvipix. There are a lot of very helpful people there, and a few specialize in restoration of poor source footage. There might be some excellent ideas right off the bat. Please read the AVI article first, and be prepared with as many details, as you can offer, so the same questions will not be asked in each location.

Good luck, and please report the details of your source footage,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Quality of an AVI File
            artbyruss Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I copied the information and went to the  main

forum and started a new discussion.  I also added a paragraph which  tried to

address your interest in the source of the video.

Russ

In a message dated 12/21/2009 5:22:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum,  which is

basically a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE/PrPro.  There

is not much traffic here, so maybe our hard-working MOD, Steve, can move 

this for you, out to the main forum, where you will get more  input.

In the meantime, tell us more about your AVI source  material, and how you

are getting it into PrE. This 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503092?tstart=0 will give you some background  on the AVI wrapper. Where I am going here

is to get the highest possible  quality to start with.

Now, how do you hope to deliver this  material, maybe on a DVD-Video?

Depending on exactly what you  find objectionable in your Video, once we

know that you have the best possible  source, there are some things that might

be able to improve it some. If, when  we are sure that you have the best,

you could describe the issues for you,  we'll be glad to recommend Effects,

and treatments to try. Some will require  that you experiment, as there are

not necessarily Presets that will fix all  problems for all source files. At

this point, do not expect miracles, and be  ready to compromise on the

ultimate quality. Unfortunately, there is no "Easy  Button," of "Pretty Filter."

Besides Steve moving your post to  the main forum, I'd also suggest that

you post to the Community (like this  forum) at http://www.muvipix.com.

There are a lot of very helpful people  there, and a few specialize in

restoration of poor source footage. There might  be some excellent ideas right off

the bat. Please read the AVI article first,  and be prepared with as many

details, as you can offer, so the same questions  will not be asked in each

location.

Good luck, and please report  the details of your source  footage,

Hunt