8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 9:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.

thepizzos

Hello all,

I have been having issues with my Premier Elements 8 projects lately.

I keep having the issue of once I am done working on a project for the day I save it and close down Premier.

When I come back a few hours later or the next day and try to work on it the following happens:

I launch the project. The status bar comes up and counts to 100%. Then the status bar goes away and nothing happens.

I cannot load my project. I sometimes can go back a few hours in my auto-saves and find one that will load, but why can't I re-load my latest version.

This is very frustrating as in means hours and hours of work sometimes.

Any ideas of what could be causing this? Can I repair my project somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a:

Intel CORE2 system (Dell XPS710)

8GB of memory

2TB of free space

Windows 7 64-bit.

David

• 1. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be an issue with Window 7 64-bit, which is giving a lot of people problems with this program.

But it's more likely your licensing got corrupted. The FAQs to the right of this program explain how to fix that.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you by chance editing to/from a USB external? I've seen read/write errors with those, do similar. If not, never mind.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you will need to "read between the lines" on this one, as this is a PrPro-Wiki FAQ Entry on corrupt Project files, and in many possible operations, PrPro differs from PrE, like no Importing of a Project into another. However, I posted this for some of the parallels and for XML Wrench. There are also a few other tips, that might apply directly to the PrE .PREL file, which is the exact same structure as the .PRPROJ files from PrPro.

Hope that something helps. Please let us know what XML Wrench tells you, especially regarding the XML header.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you have a moment, try doing a Save_As, and increment the file name, or make it unique. Close down everything, and test loading of that file. Does it also fail to load?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

thepizzos

I am dealing with a similar issue elsewhere and do not know if you are the same person.

If you are or if you are not that same person, have you read through the AdobeTech Note on Troubleshooting Damaged Projects in Premiere Elements 8?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51552.html

ATR

• 6. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for that Adobe KB Article. I had not seen that, but have bookmarked it, thanks to you.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
                      thepizzos Level 1

Thanks guys for the ideas. So far XML Wrench looked at the file and said it was fine. No errors.

I have also been saving as a different name through out my projects more often. In my experience I have to go back to 3 or 4 revs back to get a good file.

I am not sure if before PRE8 crashes it is secretly corrupting the file, but for now I am going to increase the rate at which it autosaves if I can.

No luck on the two latest projects I am trying to re open.

As for the licensing. I am pretty sure we are good there as I can open up many of my project, just not a few of the more recent and more important ones.

Thanks,

David

• 8. Re: Saved project in PRE8 will not  re-load.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd. Some users of CS4 have also reported Saved files not opening. In that NLE, one can Import a Project into a Project, but even that workaround has not worked. Something is corrupting the Saved Project files, and I do not recall seeing a real fix in any of those threads.

That XML Wrench reports that the header is well-formed points that some sort of corruption is happening more deeply into the Project. Corruption can come from several sources, and can be tough to track down. As an example Adobe Encore uses a Project file (NCOR), that has some similarities to the PREL/PROPROJ files from Premiere (though with major differences). In that program, the Project files are NOT X-Platform, like the PRPROJ files are. One Mac-only user is finding that when he does a Save, his Project files will not reopen, saying that they were created on a PC, and can't open on his Mac. He's checked the header info and sees Platform = Mac, so something deeper into the NCOR files is telling the program "PC." To date, no fix, or even cause, and he's ONLY got a Mac. Corruption can be deep in these Project files.

As for your plan to do more AutoSaves, this is very likely a good one.

I have my set at the default of 5 mins., but also do regular Saves (am not having any problems with either crashes, or with Saved Project files), and then do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy (depending on what I want to be editing on), when I finish a big edit. During the course of a large Project, I'll have several AutoSave folders, beneath the incremented Save_As folders, my Save_As from before, plus my additional backups from Save_As_a_Copy. With all this, I should never be more than an hour, or two, away from a backup - still, with no problems on my Saves, I can breath more easily than you can.

BTW - didn't you also test Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy Project files, and find that they too are corrupted? Some times I confuse what has been done on which thread.

Wish that I had something else to offer, but my "trick bag" is empty. If something comes along from the PrPro, or the Encore forum, I'll be sure to pass that along to you.

Good luck, and hope that someone can help you solve this. Sounds like you're doing everything right, and everything that you can.

Hunt