21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2010 12:05 PM by 1_dizzy

How do I reverse a video?

Ryanneedshelp27

How do I reverse a video so that it plays backwords?

• 1. Re: How do I reverse a video?
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

With the clip on the timeline, right-click it and select Speed/Duration. Then click the reverse speed box.

• 2. Re: How do I reverse a video?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang Charles,

You were supposed to let me handle the easy ones!

You're just ahead of this old-guy,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I reverse a video?
              Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Howcome when I reverse the video when doing Speed/Duration >> Clicking Reverse Speed Box, the video footage appears to have a red line over it in the timeline? As well as playing back WAAAY slower than if played just naturally?

As well as, when I add a video effect to the selected footage, a red line appears above in the timeline again; for some of the video effects it even decreases the playback speed of the selected footage (making it appear laggy)?

• 4. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                shooternz Level 6

You need to render it.

• 5. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As Craig says, when you change footage on the Timeline, whether it's adding a Title, or Effect, it must be Rendered - red line turns green. This should get you much better playback. That is what Rendering is for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                    Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Question 1: Howcome rendering takes so long, even longer than importing?

Question 2: What are the best options for exporting my video into YouTube without having to wait 4 hours for it to go through using YouTube?

-- I used the export option for "Quicktime" and I used "Animation," but when I tried to import the movie file into YouTube for a 6 second video, the approxamite wait would be 4 hours? -- So what are the best options for exporting a video specifically for YouTube, in which I wouldn't have to wait an outrageously long time (ex: 6 second video - 4 hour wait)?

Question 3: Why are all of you so awesome?

• 7. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Question 1: Howcome rendering takes so long, even longer than importing?

Depending on the Imported format, that is a very simple task. Rendering is applying every change and every Effect to every Frame of your video.

If you have only a section of your Timeline, say a Clip or two, and want to only Render that portion, you can use the WAB (Work Area Bar) at the top of the Timeline. You probably cannot see it, if you are zoomed in at all, but hit the \ (Backslash key) to see the entire Timeline. Now, you'll see the WAB, with its two little "bracket" handles at the end. Those can be dragged to just encompass your desired area. Now, when you hit Enter, only the WAB area will be Rendered, saving you time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Underpowered PC is the most likely cause.

2. Check YouTube since they change their requirements regularly.

3. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

• 9. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For YouTube, first the goal posts keep getting moved. YouTube changes what they want. They will also re-encode your submission. The best thing to always do is check what they want that week, or month, and go with one of their recs.

Most people are using the H.264 CODEC for their YouTube submissions. The Animation CODEC will make for a larger file.

There are some good, recent threads on the forum on YouTube settings. I'd do a search for those, but I'd also discount any suggestions that are over about three months old.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                            Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

No, I don't have an underpowered computer. o.O

I have a Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50 GHz 2.50 GHz
                            Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
                            System Type: 64-bit Operating System

The video (one clip) is approxamitely 5 minutes and when I import it in the timeline, I proceed to press enter; the rendering box comes up and displays that it is rendering <first frame> of <9278>, and is approxamitely taking 30 minutes for a 5 minute clip?

Is this the same for you?

• 11. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Besides the Reversal, are there any other Effects added, and is this SD, or HD (probably already mentioned that above)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

This is in 1080 60i HD (non-anamorphic) no effects have been added to the reversed 5 minute video clip.

• 13. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

OK, definitely underpowered, both in CPU and disk IO.

• 14. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, SD footage, DV-AVI Type II, in an NTSC 720x480 4:3 Project, 05;00;00 in length w/ only Reverse Speed = Render 02:15.

This was on a Core2 Duo 3.4GHz w/ 4GB RAM (+3GB Switch) and 6x 1TB SATA II HDD's - no RAID.

Just for reference,

Hunt

• 15. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                      Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

Okay so my only option is to bare out the longgggg duration?

• 16. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4

You dont have to render it at all.  Hitting Enter renders so you can preview it smoothly.  If you already know the video is ok, you dont have to render it.   It will render itself when you do your export.   Render time is dependant on many things; system speed being one.  Different effects take a different amount of time to render.   So, nobody can tell you excactly how long it should take to render a certain timeline.   If you dont have the correct preset for your footage it will significantly increase your render time.   If you have the right preset, you will not have a red line above your clips on the timeline if there are no effects on them. 

• 17. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          You dont have to render it at all.  Hitting Enter renders so you can preview it smoothly.

You dont "have to render it" but of course not many editors would apply an effect then not want to preview it smoothly before proceeding to export or encode a timeline out.

@ the OP.  Your render times seem excessive so something is amiss.  Somewhere in the advices given lies your solution but considering you do have long render times...I suggest you hit ENTER and check your timeline before embarking on out putting..

• 18. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                            Ryanneedshelp27 Level 1

"If you have the right preset, you will not have a red line above your clips on the timeline if there are no effects on them. "

I do have the right preset, because when I add a clip, there is no red line above in the timeline. The red line only appears when I make it go reverse, or add an effect, without rendering it.

I tested rendering a 3 second clip instead and I made it play reverse (the rendering took about 1 minute) and when I added an effect, I rendered it as well, because a red line appeared at the top of the timeline (the duration for rendering an effect, was exactly about the same time it took when rendering a video clip played in reverse.)

After I rendered the 3 second video clip when added with reverse (and effect(s)), there was a green line above in the timeline.

So all my problem now is the fact that the longer the video clip, the longer the wait of duration for rendering, and for me it seems longer than usual, due to the reaction from some of the responses on this topic. Is my only option to upgrade my computer, or just let it wait...?

• 19. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you must see it playback perfectly smooth on the timeline, you need to render.  But many times pressing spacebar and allowing Pr to show a preview is good enough to move on the export or the next sequence.  You can adjust the display quality of previews using the flyout menu on the monitor.  Setting it to automatic will allow Pr to drop frames during preview in order to playback in real time.  This does not affect final export quality; only preview.

I only render at the end of a project or sometimes never; unless there is a complex composit I need to see in detail.  Other wise the preview works fine for 90% of the timeline.

• 20. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                I only render at the end of a project or sometimes never; unless there is a complex composit I need to see in detail.

This is how most of my Projects go. Then, there are those sections, where I have various Effects, Keyframing, etc., and i might Render that segment (with the WAB) 100 times, until I'm positive that I have gotten it right. Many long hours of editing with zero Renders, followed by hours of intense Rendering. For the average Project, there is zero Rendering done, as Playback is adequate to tell if I'm pleased with my Effects and my Keyframes.

Hunt

• 21. Re: How do I reverse a video?
                                                  1_dizzy Level 1

hey Bill I was just reading a post on how to reverse video to play backwards, Is that possible

on PE7?  I can't find the speed/duration tab after right clicking.