9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 11:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Low Quality on Imported AVI

artbyruss Level 1

This is not a premiere elements issue, but I am using the software to create a project.  My problem deals with the quality of the video I took on vacation.  I inadvertently place the camera in a low resolution mode.  Although the video can be seen using Realplayer or Windows media player, the quality is only accepatble for a very small screen.  When I transport the video to my project, the quality is unacceptable.  Is there anyway I can improved the quality of the original video?

The AVI was transfered from a file on my PC, which was downloaded from a SD flash card on a Canon A650 camera in the compact mode (this was the mistake).  I was hoping to make a DVD of our trip combining video, JPEGs, and music.  Out of the twenty some video clips I took on the Canon, only the first two are usable.  Somehow I change the quality of video clip and the lower qulality was not noted until I returned home and started looking at the video on my PC.

• 1. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, technically it's not possible to get more out of something than you put it, so you can't improve the quality.

But you'll get the best results if you use programs that best work with the codecs your video uses.

I'd recommend, for still camera video, that you work with Windows MovieMaker. It handles the codec well and produces very good results.

If, after importing the video into MovieMaker, you want to work with it or create a DVD from it in Premiere Elements, you can output the video as a DV-AVI, the universal language of PC based video editors, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To tie things together, THIS was the earlier post to the Tips & Tricks section, and my comment.

Now, one strike against the footage is that it's MJPEG AVI at 640 x 480, 30 fps. Not sure which MJPEG CODEC you have, but you might get an improvement from either the Morgan, or the MainConcept CODEC's. Both get very high marks. Some others do not, and the footage that goes through them looks bad no matter what.

the lower qulality was not noted until I returned home and started looking at the video on my PC.

However, this might be some good news. When one is viewing AV files on their computer, they are usually looking at a progressive image at higher resolution than a DVD-Video, hooked to a TV.

The first thing that I'd do would be to Import one of the files as a test. Then, I'd output that to a DVD RW (Rewritable) disc, and put it in a set-top player. Test that footage there. Just make it an Auto-play DVD-Video. The reason for the RW is so you can test multiple times. Not sure if PrE will erase RW DVD's, but the free burning utility, ImgBurn, will.

After you have viewed the material on a TV, through a set-top player, make note of what you find offensive about the footage. That will lead us to make suggestions on ways to improve it in PrE, with either Effects, or with other treatments.

Also, if you can upload some of the footage, just enough to show what you see as problems, we can download it, and experiment with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
              artbyruss Level 1

Hunt, thanks for your time, but burning a DVD didn't improve the  quality. 

I was unable to have any success with the two websites.   Guess I have

learn my lesson to always check the accuracy of ones  settings.

Russ

In a message dated 12/21/2009 7:18:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

To tie  things together, http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542623?tstart=0

was the  earlier post to the Tips & Tricks section, and my  comment.

Now, one strike against the footage is that it's MJPEG  AVI at 640 x 480,

30 fps. Not sure which MJPEG CODEC you have, but you might  get an

improvement from either the http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/, or the 

*http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/motion-jpeg-codec-785/information-797

.html*  CODEC's. Both get very high marks. Some others do not, and the

footage that  goes through them looks bad no matter what.

the lower  qulality was not noted until I returned home and started

looking at the video  on my PC.

However, this might be some good news. When one is  viewing AV files on

their computer, they are usually looking at a progressive  image at higher

resolution than a DVD-Video, hooked to a TV.

The  first thing that I'd do would be to Import one of the files as a test.

Then,  I'd output that to a DVD RW (Rewritable) disc, and put it in a

set-top player.  Test that footage there. Just make it an Auto-play DVD-Video.

The reason for  the RW is so you can test multiple times. Not sure if PrE will

erase RW DVD's,  but the free burning utility, ImgBurn, will.

After you have  viewed the material on a TV, through a set-top player, make

note of what you  find offensive about the footage. That will lead us to

make suggestions on  ways to improve it in PrE, with either Effects, or with

other  treatments.

Also, if you can upload some of the footage, just  enough to show what you

see as problems, we can download it, and experiment  with it.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                artbyruss Level 1

I did try Moviemaker and it seemed to improve the quality a little, but not

enough.  Thanks for your idea and time.  Have a Merry Christmas.

Russ

In a message dated 12/21/2009 6:59:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Well,  technically it's not possible to get more out of something than you

put it, so  you can't improve the quality.

But you'll get the best results if  you use programs that best work with

the codecs your video  uses.

I'd recommend, for still camera video, that you work with  Windows

MovieMaker. It handles the codec well and produces very good  results.

If, after importing the video into MovieMaker, you want  to work with it or

create a DVD from it in Premiere Elements, you can output  the video as a

DV-AVI, the universal language of PC based video editors, per  the FAQs to

the right of this  forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 5. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I was unable to have any success with the two websites.

For clarification, were the Morgan and MainConcept sites down, or that the MJPEG CODEC from neither improved your footage?

If the latter, then you probably already have a pretty good MJPEG CODEC installed.

Now, we seem to have reached one dead-end - improving the footage via Import. That is not all there is. Would it be possible to post a screen-cap of your footage in the Timeline, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over one of these poor Clips, and the Program Monitor sized up to clearly see the Clip in it? Then, please point out the aspects that you find objectionable. We may, or may not, see all of the issues, so that's why your words will be important.

There could well be Effects and techniques that will improve the footage. It might fall sort of what you hope for, but we should be able to come up with a few things to make it better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                    artbyruss Level 1

Let me see if I understand your instructions.  I am not very familiar  with

Premiere Elements.  What do you mean posting a screen-cap of your  footage

in the Timeline?  Do you want me to more one of the clips to the  timeline? 

Is the Current Time Indicator the device that has a top that  looks a

little bit like an arrow and a red line extending down?  If so, the  Program

Monitor reflects an image that is not clear.  It looks like each  pixel is

covering too much area thereby not giving the desired clarity.

Russ

In a message dated 12/22/2009 11:12:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

I  was unable to have any success with the two websites.

For  clarification, were the Morgan and MainConcept sites down, or that the

MJPEG  CODEC from neither improved your footage?

If the latter, then you  probably already have a pretty good MJPEG CODEC

installed.

Now,  we seem to have reached one dead-end - improving the footage via

Import. That  is not all there is. Would it be possible to post a screen-cap of

your footage  in the Timeline, with the CTI (Current Time Indicator) over

one of these poor  Clips, and the Program Monitor sized up to clearly see the

Clip in it? Then,  please point out the aspects that you find objectionable.

We may, or may not,  see all of the issues, so that's why your words will

be  important.

There could well be Effects and techniques that will  improve the footage.

It might fall sort of what you hope for, but we should be  able to come up

with a few things to make it better.

Good  luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Russ,

Sorry for getting ahead of you.

What I am suggesting is that you set up your PrE editing screen (the GUI - Graphic User Interface) with one of these "bad" Clips on the Timeline. Place the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the Edit Line) over that Clip, so that it will show in the Program Monitor. You might want to click-drag on the various Panels, and also zoom in on your Timeline a bit, so that the important parts are large enough to see. Once you have this set up, then do a screen-cap of that GUI.

This can differ a bit, depending on one's computer, their image editing programs, and even their keyboard, but here are the general instructions:

1.) when all is set up in PrE, showing things clearly, one would Copy that image from the computer's monitor to the Clipboard. On my laptop, this is done by pressing Ctrl+PrtSC (Print Screen) key. On other keyboards, the CTRL modifier key is not necessary. Also, the exact name of the key for "Print Screen" might be slightly different. Mine is "PrtSc," but yours could be something like "PrntScr." This takes a snapshot of what is displayed on your computer's monitor.

2.) I use Photoshop (PS) as my image editing software, but PSElements is about the same. If one has another image editing program, they might need to read up on how to do this next step. MS Paint, plus others, should be able to do similar, though more steps, or fewer steps, might be required.

In PS, I do File>New Image (Ctrl+N) and PS will offer to create this New Image sized to the image in the system's Clipboard, which I accept. This New Image opens, and all I have to do is hit Ctrl+V (Paste) to get my screen-cap from the Clipboard and into my New Image as a New Layer. Then, I will Crop, if necessary, annotate the image to point out aspects that I want people to look at, then will do a Save, choosing .PSD to maintain any Layers. Then, I choose Flatten to collapse the Layers, and do a Save_As, choosing JPEG @ a quality setting of 8-9.

3.) back in the forum editing screen, I look to the Toolbar at the top of the page. In the lower-middle, there is a little "camera" icon. That allows me to attach the JPEG image into the body of my Reply.

Here's an example of my NLE setup, pretty much as I am suggesting:

Screen-cap_01.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                        artbyruss Level 1

Hunt, I really am having a hard time trying to understand your 

instructions.  I downloaded the premiere editor to see if that would help  with the

terminology, but it didn't, at least not to the extend I need.  I  guess I just

will not use the video.  I still have 300 JPEGs to use so that  should give

me enough to work with for my project.  Thanks for your  help.  You need to

spend your time and expertise on people that have a  better understanding

than me.  Thanks again and have a Merry  Christmas.

Russ

In a message dated 12/22/2009 12:50:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Russ,

Sorry for getting ahead of you.

What I  am suggesting is that you set up your PrE editing screen (the GUI -

Graphic  User Interface) with one of these "bad" Clips on the Timeline.

Place the CTI  (Current Time Indicator w/ the Edit Line) over that Clip, so

that it will show  in the Program Monitor. You might want to click-drag on the

various Panels,  and also zoom in on your Timeline a bit, so that the

important parts are large  enough to see. Once you have this set up, then do a

screen-cap of that  GUI.

This can differ a bit, depending on one's computer, their  image editing

programs, and even their keyboard, but here are the general  instructions:

1.) when all is set up in PrE, showing things  clearly, one would Copy that

image from the computer's monitor to the  Clipboard. On my laptop, this is

done by pressing Ctrl+PrtSC (Print Screen)  key. On other keyboards, the

CTRL modifier key is not necessary. Also, the  exact name of the key for "Print

Screen" might be slightly different. Mine is  "PrtSc," but yours could be

something like "PrntScr." This takes a snapshot of  what is displayed on your

computer's monitor.

2.) I use Photoshop  (PS) as my image editing software, but PSElements is

about the same. If one  has another image editing program, they might need to

read up on how to do  this next step. MS Paint, plus others, should be able

to do similar, though  more steps, or fewer steps, might be required.

In PS, I do  File>New Image (Ctrl+N) and PS will offer to create this New

Image sized to  the image in the system's Clipboard, which I accept. This New

Image opens, and  all I have to do is hit Ctrl+V (Paste) to get my

screen-cap from the Clipboard  and into my New Image as a New Layer. Then, I will

Crop, if necessary,  annotate the image to point out aspects that I want

people to look at, then  will do a Save, choosing .PSD to maintain any Layers.

Then, I choose Flatten  to collapse the Layers, and do a Save_As, choosing

JPEG @ a quality setting of  8-9.

3.) back in the forum editing screen, I look to the Toolbar  at the top of

the page. In the lower-middle, there is a little "camera" icon.  That allows

me to attach the JPEG image into the body of my  Reply.

Here's an example of my NLE setup, pretty much as I am  suggesting:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/17348/Screen-cap_01.jp

g

Hope  that this  helps,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Low Quality on Imported AVI
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Russ,

Sorry that I was still using too much jargon, or just not being clear.

One offer that I can make is if you wanted to send me, say a short Clip that you are not happy with, and tell me what you find objectionable, I'll load it up and see if there are some Effects, or techniques that would benefit the footage.

My POP server can handle large attachments. You can e-mail me at infoAThuntphotoDOTcom. (Obviously, the AT = @ and the DOT = .). Cut out, say a 1 min. section, and then Export/Share to a DV-AVI file. Attach that to the e-mail. I'll see what can be done, and if successful, will tell you step by step what I did, so you can follow along.

Good luck,

Hunt