12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 8:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Can't even download the trial!

KenJ61

After selecting the English language version on the PrEl v8 download page a small pop up window appears but the status line at the bottom keeps loading and reloading "something" over and over again from trials.adobe.com. The window includes a help link but the reloading activity is so intense that it never catches the click.

I have been downloading and installing applications for several days on my new quad-core, Windows 7 build with two new 500 GB HDDs and have even installed the latest Quicktime. So, is this a temporary unavailablity? My new rig seems to be running fine. While I wait I think I will install Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus. It downloaded just fine!

• 1. Re: Can't even download the trial!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

Is THIS the site that you are trying to download from? What language did you choose?

It is most likely that either your browser, or your OS is blocking the download, if that is the site. What browser are you using, and what OS do you have?

I know that IE will block downloads, until a user allows it, site to site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Can't even download the trial!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, the download is 1.2GB in size. Do you have adequate free space on the drive that you are attempting to download to? I'd guess that you do, but felt the need to ask.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can't even download the trial!
              KenJ61 Level 1

Hi Bill,

The link you gave is the very same one. It repeatedly goes to trials.adobe.com, the progress bar zips from left to right and then does it again and again and again.

New rig, 2 x 500 GB fast Hitachi HDDs, previously downloaded Magix MEP 15+ at 196 MB - no problem downloading from any other site, and I have been downloading numerous apps lately, getting this new rig set up. The only app from the Elememts v8 requirements list I didn't have was Quicktime and that has since been installed. This doesn't make sense!

• 4. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

I agree that it does not make sense. The Apple QT Player would only be for running the trial, after installation. I do not believe that it would even be required for the initial installation, but could be wrong there.

I'm on the site now, and will download the English version. Is that the language that you want?

Will report back,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, with Google Chrome, I got a redirect and the download did not initiate. With IE 7, I just got dumped back to the download screen. It appears that something is amiss with the Adobe site for downloads. I'd say that you might want to try tomorrow. I do not know of any downtime on the Adobe server, but maybe they are doing maintenance on the server, or are changing the download for the trial.

If I pick up any chatter about the Adobe.com site, I'll pass that along to you.

Something is amiss, at least on my end, and on your end.

Sorry, but good luck,

Hunt

BTW - I am on XP-Pro, but have no real security going, as I am behind a hardware firewall, with several other protection programs. I'll check those out, just in case one of them is getting in the way. More to come...

• 7. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                    KenJ61 Level 1

Thanks, Bill. I suspect trials.adobe.com has some problems.

• 8. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, on my end, StopZilla was the culprit. I had told it some time back, but it was blocking the pop-ups from Adobe.com. Right now, the downloader is working away. I'll see what I get.

Do you have any pop-up blocking with either an additional program, or set within your browser. What I got was an immediate jump from the download, back to the main PrE 8 download page. Usually, I get a beep, if StopZilla is blocking something. I did not get one in this case.

More to come,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                        KenJ61 Level 1

Bill, I temporarily removed the popup blocker from Firefox but that didn't help. So I fired up IE8 and the Akamai downloader installed and I was on my way!

Who knew Adobe downloads didn't support Firefox?

Case closed - warn our friends!

• 10. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Great news! I have just completed my downloaded the trial, and all was good, once I configured StopZilla on my computer.

Glad that you got it sorted. Now, remember that what you do in the trial will have a watermark, but that is the only limitation, beyond the 30-day aspect. Should you decide to go with the full-paid version, the PrE FAQ's, to the right of the main page, will tell you how to handle the watermark.

Good luck, enjoy and happy editing,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                            Missteach Level 1

I try to avoid buying the download version for this reason.  Buy the delivered version and you get the installation disc to use if there are ever any problems.  I'm waiting for the fix for PE8 so I can install it again and hope it actually starts.  Who knows how long we will have to wait for the fix though.  Probably not this side of Xmas.

• 12. Re: Can't even download the trial!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Wodehouse,

I am with you on this. I have never used a trial of any Adobe product, other than the ones that I did beta testing on. For my purchases, I want the media and any printed manuals available. If I buy a download program for another site, I'll pay the $ (or £) for a disk. Even with backups, I have lost downloaded software in the past. At least with a disk, I can write my S/N, Unlock Key, etc., onto it for some future installation.

Now, in this case, I did download the trial, but deleted it, as soon as I saw that it had downloaded, and reported to the OP.

Hunt