3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 12:56 AM by Bernd Alheit

64 bit Linux version in preparation?

aspergerian111

Adobe Reader is important to what I do in medical research. My most-used computer has been shifted from Ubuntu 32 bit to Ubuntu 64 bit, and I've learned that Adobe doesn't yet offer 64-bit Linux versions of Adobe Reader. Is Adobe working on 64-bit Adobe Reader for any of the Linux distributions?

• 1. Re: 64 bit Linux version in preparation?
          markerline Level 4

I know very little about Linux.  In fact I have some bash shell books and just now got finished installing a unix shell interpreter on my Windows Vista 64-bit machine.

But given the 32-bit situation on my machine most of my programs are running in 32-bit mode on the 64-bit platform.  I am wondering if Linux allows the same flexibility, being able to run 32-bit Adobe products in some sort of emulation mode on 64-bit machines?

• 2. Re: 64 bit Linux version in preparation?
            aspergerian111 Level 1

Thnx for responding.

I have two 64 bit Windows machines (Vista, w7), and they run Adobe

Reader well. On ubuntuforums.org, there are various suggestions for

running Adobe Reader as 32 bit on 64 bit Ubuntu. However, my download of

32 bit AR for Ubuntu halted just before installation, with message about

wrong architecture. I'm not the only one asking this question re: AR 64

in Ubuntu - and some of the previously offered work-arounds are already

un-doable.

What happens on Ubuntu forums is that inevitably various people suggest

Evince, which I've tried, but which doesn't have some of the features in

AR - eg, the ability to copy from within one column on a page that has

two columns. Until Adobe catches up with 64 bit AR, I'll probably have

to do some tasks on my w7 machines (and the Vista becomes w7 tomorrow or

Wednesday).

• 3. Re: 64 bit Linux version in preparation?
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please post questions about Linux version in the forum for Adobe Reader for Unix.