25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 7:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it

gzweben

I just purchased the combo of Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.  Photoshop installed fine, but every time I try to open Premiere, it goes through the loading process and then crashes before it opens.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and the same thing happened.  I returned the software and exchanged for another disk and the same thing happens.  I updated my drivers, updated quicktime etc. and nothing works.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
          Kodebuster Level 3

Check if your running an nVidia graphics card.

If you are, then review this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/540560?tstart=30

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Does PrE go through part of the loading, and then crashes?

One potential problem, if this is the case, is with various VST plug-ins. When PrE begins to load, there is a tiny line of text on the modules, etc., that are loading. What is the last one, before the program disappears? That could be the faulting element, or it could be the next on the list. With a fast computer, that line goes by very quickly. I've had to put a video camera on the screen, and then Pause the tape, to see what the last line was.

There are tons of VST's, in all sorts of audio-editing/creating programs, and some are not compatible with Adobe NLE's.

That is why I am asking, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
              gzweben Level 1

Where do I look to see what video card I am using?  I don't think its that one, but when I looked, I wasn't sure which one it was.  Is it the graphics controller?  If so, it looks like its an intel one.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                gzweben Level 1

The last one loading saying "Windows Media" then it freezes for a second, a new window

flashes up quickly and then disappears and nothing happens.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Does it "crash" or just not load?

If it shows the load screen but then suddenly vanishes, it could be you've got corrupted licensing. the FAQs to the right of this forum offer a fix.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                    gzweben Level 1

I use the word crash because sometimes (not always) it produces a crash report that I send to Adobe.  Sometimes that doesn't happen though.  I guess the correct answer would be it doesn't load.  I didn't think it was the licensing because it happened with the first disk I purchased as well and the Photoshop part of the disk works fine.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I still wouldn't dismiss the possiblity without trying the fix, g. If you're getting a splash screen but the program won't load, it's likely going to fix it.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                        gzweben Level 1

Thanks.  I'll try it when I get home from work today and let you know how it goes.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Where do I look to see what video card I am using?

Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, and then Display Adapters. You'll see your video card(s) listed there. Rt-click and choose Properties, where you'll get General, Driver, Detaills and Resources tabs. The Driver tab will give you info on which driver you are using, plus the date of the driver's issuance.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The last one loading saying "Windows Media" then it freezes for a second, a new window flashes up quickly and then disappears and nothing happens.

One little trick is to mount your video camera pointed at, and focused onto the screen. Launch, while recording the screen. Let the pop-up come and disappear. Rewind the tape and play it, pausing on the pop-up. If it's there for more than a 1/30th sec., you will have a frame with it showing. Maybe something in that pop-up will give you a clue. Sometimes, important stuff goes by too quickly to see in RT.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Good link to the Licensing Repair Tool. Similar has become common for PrPro CS4.2. When many users install the CS4.2 update, their full-paid version reverts to the trial version, due to the corrupted licensing module. Or, as in the case of PrE, fails to launch. Not sure what goes wrong with some of these installations, but it has happened often enough to make note of it.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                gzweben Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'll try all these things when I get home tonight and let you know if it works. 

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                  gzweben Level 1

I tried the licensing repair and it didn't work.  I have no idea what to do at this point.  The graphics controller is the intel 8685G so the nvidia issue isn't it unless there is something wrong with the intel 8685G.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry that the licensing cure did not fix it.

As for the integrated Intel graphics chip, they have caused some issues with Adobe programs. I would look to see if there is a driver update for your chip. Might be, and it might help, or maybe not.

When the program crashes, what error, or warning messages, are listed in Event Viewer. That will often point out driver issues. Unfortunately, you will have to follow each error, or warning message in Event Viewer, at the time of the crash, and then follow any links in these. Some will be garbage code, that is of no use, but the message with links, MIGHT give you a major clue.

Also, various VST's can cause issues with Adobe NLE's loading. What is the last line of text on the splash screen, while the program is loading? If it goes by too quickly, you might want to set up your video camera, focus on the screen, and document the splash screen. You can then play back that footage, pausing to see what each line of text (note: it's really small and goes by quickly) says, especially the last one.

If it is a VST issue, there are cures.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                      VDOSurfer Level 3

A crash during loading could likely be because the plugins that PrE8 is trying to load might have got corrupt (Don't know how..) Try this.

You could delete the Plugin Cache from the registry and then try to load the app. That is somewhere in registry (Software/Adobe/Premiere Elements/ 8.0/Plugin cache) Delete the whole folder. I am not sure about the exact location (I will be when I am allowed to get close to my laptop after these holidays)

I am still trying to find out where I saw this.. But I have it written down from somewhere!!! I also have a tick mark next to this one to say that this worked for someone..

I am sorry if I have been too vague, but I think you have an idea. Hopefully someone else could help you with the exact registry path. Or better you could just tell us that it worked..

Oh! And close the app, delete the plugin cache then relaunch the app.

Happy holidays.....

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One type of "plug-in" that causes a crash/hang when loading is the VST. These are often from audio-editing programs, and appear as .dll's in most cases. When the Adobe program encounters the VST's that it finds on the system, it attempts to load them, even if they did not install with PrE. There is a very quick and tiny line of text on the Splash Screen, indicating which are being loaded. One has to watch very closely to see this text, and as it goes by quickly on a fast computer, can be tough to read. One idea is to set up your video camera and record the loading process, focused on the Splash Screen. Then, when the launch fails, just rewind that tape and shuttle through it, until the Splash Screen disappears. Go back one Frame and pause. What is the very last line in that text? It is likely that that is the problem - that, or maybe the next one - the one we have yet to see...

There are three things that happen with the VST's:

1.) The Adobe program loads them successfully and can use them.

2.) The Adobe program loads them successfully, but cannot use them. In PrPro, the user gets a one-time warning message to that effect. One only sees this message once.

3.) The Adobe program cannot load, nor can it use, the particular VST(s). In PrPro, the program writes a "blacklist" of the ones that cause the crash. If one has many of these # 3 VST's, the blacklist grows, on every attempted launch, until all are on the blacklist. Then, the program can launch. It will take one launch attempt for each of the offending VST's. On a DAW with tons of VST's (especially the "instruments" VST's), this might mean 20-30 aborted launches, before all are blacklisted. I mention PrPro here, because I have no idea whether PrE does the same thing. Possibly, but I just do not know. I did not realize that PrPro did the automatic blacklist until recently. Most people would only try to launch a couple of times, and then give up.

If one knows which VST's are getting in the way, they could address those. Hence, reading that little text line might be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Edited line 2

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                          VDOSurfer Level 3

Thanks Hunt. Useful information as usual!

I am new to the VST plugin world. You mentioned that they are dlls. So after we do that little exercise of capturing the splash screen activity, could we unregister that particular dll (regsvr32 -u "filename") or place the file in a different location (or both?) to take care they are not used?

After the video editing session we could bring them back. Has this been tried with any positive effect by PrPro folks?

I think the loaded ones are deleted when we delete the plugin cache. The splash screen "reloads" them. So if they are not found at all, they would not be loaded at all in the first place.

So what I would want to know is if there is a way to figure out the VST plugins by their filenames.That could help.

Maybe this information could come in a different thread of its own. Your call.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            You mentioned that they are dlls.

The majority are, though I suppose that it is possible that there might be other extensions too. All of mine VST's are .dll, but there are so very many, that one might have to keep an eye out for other extensions too.

So after we do that little exercise of capturing the splash screen activity, could we unregister that particular dll (regsvr32 -u "filename") or place the file in a different location (or both?) to take care they are not used?

What many have done is to move the VST's folder from say Native Instruments, to another folder. One user found that if he moved them to a Desktop folder, PrPro would not find them, but he could set Native Instruments to use that folder and this kept PrPro away from them, but allowed his audio program to use them. Unfortunately, here the answer is - it depends.

You should not have to edit the Registry. Just "hiding" the VST's should be good enough for PrE 8.

As both PrE and PrPro can use many 3rd party VST's, or from other programs, having the NLE survey the system can be a good thing, as usable VST's can be loaded. However, there is a downside, if one has 3rd party VST's, or VST's from, say that Native Instruments program, then there is a problem. It's a double-edged sword.

I think the loaded ones are deleted when we delete the plugin cache. The splash screen "reloads" them. So if they are not found at all, they would not be loaded at all in the first place.

I agree that "hiding" them will work. When one exits the NLE, there will be no record of them (except as commented on with PrPro and the blacklist). They could either be pointed to in the other program, or moved around.

I just do not know if PrE uses the blacklist method.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                              gzweben Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help...unfortunately, some of these fixes are way over my head.  I spoke with Adobe last week and they said they would "escalate the problem" and have someone call me back within 24 hours.  I have not heard back yet even though its been 5 days (but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt given the holiday weekend).  I will follow up with them tonight and let you know if they were able to resolve the problem.  Thanks again!

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                VDOSurfer Level 3

So let me summarize some proposed solutions that I can extract from this thread

1. Find out where it crashes.
                                                "set up your video camera and record the loading process, focused on the Splash Screen. Then, when the launch fails, just rewind that tape and shuttle through it, until the Splash Screen disappears. Go back one Frame and pause. What is the very last line in that text? It is likely that that is the problem - that, or maybe the next one - the one we have yet to see..." (From Hunt's earlier post)

Locate that file and move it to desktop. Try relaunching Premiere Elements after moving the file. If there are more files that cause crash, you could locate them by capturing again and again. Hopefully you would not have to repeat the capture.

2. Hide VST plugins
                                                List down the other software that could use the plugins (Music software, other video editing software)
                                                Check if there is a plugin folder, if so, move it some place else (Desktop)

If there is an standalone VST plugin that was installed for some use, uninstall that package. (Re-install after the video editing sessions)

3. Delete plugin cache
                                                Close Premiere Elements 8.0 if launched.
                                                Press Start->Run and type "regedit" (without the quotes)
                                                Expand My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0\ There should be a folder called PluginCache. Delete the complete folder

All three solutions are independantly capable of solving the problem. So try any one and check. if not try all

Good Luck.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

VDOSurfer,

Good distillation of many potential "fixes" for a VST (or other plug-in), that is stopping PrE from loading. Well done and easy to follow.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                    nate_lar

I am pretty new, but I may have a similar issue.  I also have an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller, as you mentioned.  It is on a Dell Dimension 3000, and the driver is the initial one (9/2005: there have been no updates since then, at least not to the specific one used by Dell.  I even tried updating to a newer Intel driver, but it won't let me).

So anyway, the only way I can get Premiere Elements to start is by turning hardware acceleration down to either "None" or the next notch above that.  there is a pretty good explanation of how to do it here, about half way down.  When I do that, I can start up Premiere.  But now I have issues with video playback - very choppy.  Is this due to hardware acceleration being turned off?  Not sure how to get around this.  Probably need a new computer!

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in the mix.  I might try some of the other suggestions in this thread as well.

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                      VDOSurfer Level 3

Turn hardware acceleration off, launch PE8, turn it on and enjoy video

Seriously though, we would like to know what is the source for the video, the format and resolution of the video, what you want to do with it in PE8 etc. Choppy playback could be for multiple reasons. There are threads which talk about it within this forum. We would be glad to point them out to you once we know the exact nature of the playback issue based on your response.

-Bullard

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        When I do that, I can start up Premiere.  But now I have issues with video playback - very choppy.

What are the complete details of the Video that you are editing? If you do not have those details from your camera, you can use the freeware utility, G-Spot, to determine all aspects of that Video.

With non-AVCHD material, playback and editing are most often governed by one's I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives), their size, speed, amount of free space, the controller type and how those HDD's are allocated. Please tell us all about your I/O sub-system.

With AVCHD material, playback and editing are highly CPU intensive. Please tell us more about the rest of your computer, including the CPU.

This ARTICLE will get you started on gathering the info on your system.

Good luck, and we'll be looking for all of that info, as it is important to helping one get the most from any editing experience.

Hunt

• 25. Re: Premiere Elements 8 crashes every time I load it
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt