4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 4:33 PM by glider521al

What's the difference between educational and student editions of Flash?

glider521al

I qualify for both the educational and student editions of Adobe CS4, and I'm not sure which one to buy.

• Does the educational version have any significant advantages over the student version?
        • Can the educational version be used for commercial purposes (I know the student one can't)?
        • Are there any extra features or templates that are only available in the educational version and above?
      • Can I transfer the liscense for the student version to another computer?

My trial version lasts only 5 more days and I hope to have purchased a registered edition by than

Thanks in advance for any replies

• 1. Re: What's the difference between educational and student editions of Flash?
          RossRitchey Level 4

To my understanding, the educational, student, and full versions are all identical.  The differences are in the EULA.

The educational and student are not supposed to be used for commercial purposes.  I would bet that the educational version is only intended to be used to teach the software, whereas the student is intended for someone who is learning the software.

So, there are no extra features in either, because they are identical to the full version in all but license.

I believe you can transfer the license to another computer, as with any license.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What's the difference between educational and student editions of Flash?
            glider521al Level 1

Thanks I did some further research
            and
            According to http://www.studentdiscounts.com.au

The student edition:

...Limit of one per customer per 12 month period can be purchased.

Students will be required to provide Adobe with proof of their current student status to install the product. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at an acceptable Education Institution (being a bona fide university or college including community, junior and vocational colleges or other further education colleges that grants degrees requiring not less than the equivalent of two (2) years of full time study) OR Students must be enrolled at an accredited public or private secondary school providing full-time instruction.

This software may only be used on a privately-owned computer. The product may not be used for commercial purposes.

The educational edition:
            <Description same as full version with nothing mentioned about commercial purposes.>

unresolved/further questions:

• As for the "...limit of one per customer per 12 month period can be purchased" really mean?
              It kind of implies that the student edition is only activated for 12 months (an extended trail version)

• 3. Re: What's the difference between educational and student editions of Flash?
              RossRitchey Level 4

- Based on the descriptions you found, it sounds like yes, the educational version can be used for commercial purposes.

- If that friend is going to pay you money, or potentially make money (advertising counts) from it, then yes, it is a commercial purpose.

- That means that you can't, as a student or educator, can only purchase 1 license inside of a year.  This doesn't mean that the license will expire.  I have been using the student version of CS2 and Macromedia Studio 8 for 4 years without hiccup.

- Yes and no.  If you get educational, I believe you can upgrade your version with a newer educational version.  The student license is not sold as an upgrade.  This means that, you cannot purchase an upgrade student version, but you can purchase a full student version if you still qualify.  If, however, you want to upgrade from student or educational to the full commercial version, you can do that.  It is confusing, but Adobe does not limit your ability to upgrade from an existing version (any license type) to a new full commercial version.

• 4. Re: What's the difference between educational and student editions of Flash?
                glider521al Level 1

Thankyou that fully answers my questions

Cheers