6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2009 6:30 AM by TimeRemapper

Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing

Fuzzi0n

This is now beyond a joke, randomly After Effects is crashing on me. Just gives me random errors and then closes. I Need A Solution!

I Have My GPU Driver Updated!

Sepcs:

Windows Xp SP2 Pro

Intel Dual Core E2220 @ 2.4GHz

nVidia GeForce 7050 / nForce 620i

2GB DDR2 RAM

Should be all you need spec wise...

• 1. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Can you recall any of the errors?

Next time it happens, write the error down, or take a screengrab. They may actually help in diagnosing your problem.

Let's go back to the basics.

Have you updated After Effects (9.0.2 for CS4)?

Have you disabled multi-processing in the After Effects preferences?

Have you tried disabling OpenGL in the After Effects preferences?

Have you tried recreating the prefs file?

Your quantity of RAM is barely sufficient to run one instance of After Effects.

A general recommendation would be to buy more RAM, regardless of it being the nature of your difficulty.

• 2. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

> Should be all you need spec wise...<

If I used PCs, maybe, but AE really doesn't behave all that differently on a Mac. Is this new or has your installation never worked?

Debugging AE is really tough because AE crashes are almost always user issues: a bad plugin, corrupted media file in a project, a CMYK graphic in an RGB space. I find the error codes from AE's crash window to be coder jokes but some folks can actually make sense of them. Post a few of them.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There are no random errors! they all mean something. It would indeed help if you could give us some insights on what they actually are. That aside, Steve's suggestions of purging caches and trashing prefs often help a lot, as strange as this may sound. Also re-install Quicktime and additionally, get rid of CoDec packs and such. Another common cause for crashes and other funky behavior in Adobe apps are often "bad" fonts like technically not so well done free fonts. Remove them from your system as well and see, if AE gets any more stable.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
                Fuzzi0n Level 1

Thanks for the help, I will try all of it and update the matter. And I have no unnecessary codecs as Xp was just installed.

But I'm pretty sure most if not all errors are OpenGL related.

• 5. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
                  Fuzzi0n Level 1

Ok after Updating and Disabling OpenGL AE is now working fine. No errors ( only human errors ), guess it did the trick.

• 6. Re: Ridiculous After Effects Randomly Crashing
                    TimeRemapper Level 4

only human errors

I can soundly say that I expeirence this myself ALL the time.

As I find that, most of the time, the problem with my own technical difficulties lies between my chair and my keyboard.