16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 2:32 AM by Powered by Design

Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?

jamiesaari

I have recently finished training in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and am looking to buy a new laptop.

I'd love to hear thoughts from more experienced users.

Could you please kindly send me your thoughts on these three questions?

1) I have used a PC my entire life, but am considering switching to a Mac. It will cost quite a bit of money to purchase all new software to in Mac (i.e. Adobe Master Collection & Microsoft Office). Is it truly worth the investment to switch from PC to Mac? Or should I simply use that money to purchase a

the very best high-end PC money can buy?

2) I've been told that many people have computer systems simply devoted to only Premiere Pro CS4 and nothing else. Is this true? Ideally I would like to have a "super machine" that runs all my other software (Adobe Master Collection, Microsoft Office and more) in one. What are your thoughts on this?

3) Can you recommend your favourite brand and model for running Adobe Premiere Pro CS4? If you are a PC person, please let me know your recommended PC. If you are a Mac person, please let me know your recommended Mac.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Warm Regards,

Jamie

• 1. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First a couple of facts with regards to PR:

1. 90% use PC, only 10% MAC.

2. MAC is way more expensive.

3. MAC does not give you many options for expansion or only at a hefty price tag.

4. Support on this forum is mainly PC oriented.

5. MAC has limited software/debugging/other utilities available in comparison to PC.

6. PR for MAC is limited in comparison to the PC version.

To answer you questions from my limited perspective:

1. No. Yes.

2. Yes. Don't do that.

3. Build yourself. Look here: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jamie,

Not specific to the platform, but for editing on a laptop, you should look for one that offers three HDD's, most likely SATA II.

If you're doing AVCHD material, get the fastest processor available.

Having an ATI, or nVidia mobile card will benefit you, over an embedded Intel video chip. Do not know about any embedded Mac video chips.

Look for a unit that has, or can accept eSATA connections for external HDD's. FW-800 is OK, but eSATA will be better.

I use a Sager, configured for NLE work. It is basically an extreme gaming computer, but there is enough latitude to get what one wants for NLE work, leaving off some of the "gaming-only" stuff.

Even my 17" monitor is a bit small, but I have learned to adjust my Workspace and live with it. For any major work, my dual-monitor workstation is where the Projects go.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

The one area I would possibly disagree with HARM is:  Unless you are a HW guy who loves dabbling in details, dont try to build a PC yourself.   Find a vendor who specializes in editing workstations and buy from them.

If on the other hand you love messing with HW; it is much cheaper to build yourself.   But since you asked the question you did; Im guessing you're not a gear head.

• 4. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
                Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Now that XP and Vista are behind us, the PC's future is looking much brighter.  CS4 runs like a champ on our new i7 based systems. Windows 7 64 is the way to go, IMO. We have 3 Mac guys at work who love their machines and OS X.  I personally prefer the PC. I think you should give OS X a test drive first before spending the money.  Of course if you hate OS X, you can always go the Boot Camp route and install Windows 7.  The MacBook Pro's hardware seems reliable.

The Mac Desktop "Mac Pro's" are excellent machines, but cost way too much IMO.  The guys at work swear by these though.  Our chief Mac guy recommends, not buying the cuting edge top end model, but rather stay with the mid-range Mac Pro and buy extra hard drives and Ram from a 3rd. party supplier as opposed to Apple.

In response to:

"2) I've been told that many people have computer systems simply devoted to only Premiere Pro CS4 and nothing else. Is this true? Ideally I would like to have a "super machine" that runs all my other software (Adobe Master Collection, Microsoft Office and more) in one. What are your thoughts on this?"

I would just use good judgement regarding what you install on your editing system.  Odd-ball programs and certain downloadable codec packs of course are not a good idea.  We have Office 07' on one of our lower-end systems, all of our computers are networked and connected to the Internet. No issues to report.

Just as a side note, Networking is much better with Windows 7. Everything's nearly right there when you click on it.

• 5. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
                  dradeke Adobe Employee

The number of differences are middling if anyone can even name them.  The differences mostly amount to a few cheesy effects that were not moved over.  I would not include that in your list...

Harm Millaard wrote:

6. PR for MAC is limited in comparison to the PC version.

• 6. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

As an Adobe employee it is shocking how much I get this question and it's also shocking how difficult it is to answer because it is ultimately a very personal and subjective question.

Here's my very brief take on it.

1. Buy what you want!
                    2. Buy the most expensive and fastest you can afford - it will help you in the long run.

Here's the facts:

1. PC's are generally faster and cheaper
                    2. Your familiarity with PC's would make you getting one a plus
                    3. Premiere Pro runs equally well on Mac and PC

Best,

Dennis

• 7. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Some time ago someone composed a complete overview of everything missing in the MAC version in comparison to PC and IIRC it amounted to some 50-60 effects/transitions that are not in the MAC version. Whether one would miss them depends on what you want to do. If may pay to search for that overview and then make a decision whether that is significant. However, with that number I thought it worth mentioning.

• 8. Re: Mac vs PC ... Any recommendations?