13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 12:11 PM by MandyRose_9

CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?

MandyRose_9

I'm working in Premiere Pro CS3 and I've successfully imported some video.  I can change the size of the windows themselves (50%, fit, etc).  However, the image itself inside the windows continues to display at 100%.  This means that at the "fit" windowsize, I'm seeing the top left corner of the image only.

When I stop the video playback and click on the video itself, I see a set of scale controls over the image, which looks perfectly scaled to the window size.  But as soon as I engage playback, the video blows up to 100% size inside a small window, leaving me without a clear look at my full footage.

I'm a Photoshop person and I'm looking for the equivalent of the Zoom tool to get a larger or smaller view of the full video.  Is there a way to change this, or is my only option to open out the panels as large as possible to see the whole picture?

Thanks, I hope this makes sense.

• 1. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

MandyRose,

Welcome to the forum.

Actually, the Fit should show you the entirety of your Video, so long as your footage matches your Project Preset.

Please tell us about your source footage. If you do not have the specs. handy, you can Rt-click a Clip and choose Properties, or look in the Project Panel for the Frame Size. Next, tell us what your Project Preset is. My first guess is that these two do not match. They should.

If they do, and Fit is NOT giving you the full view, it might be time to do a screen-cap of your PrPro Workspace, with the Timeline, probably your Project Panel and the Program Monitor showing. You'll want to move the CTI (the Current Time Indicator w/ the Edit Line) to a Clip that is not displaying, and also have that Clip showing in your Project Panel. You might have to scroll around a bit.

Hint: when you post the screen-cap, you can use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the edit screen's Toolbar to attach your JPEG. In PS, Save the JPEG at about an 8, or 9 Quality level, so we can read it all.

I also came to PrPro from decades of PS work, though I did have a background in cinema before that, so it was not that big a jump.

Good luck, and let us know about the source footage and the Project Preset.

Hunt

PS - here's a tip on a wonderful little freeware, utility for determining all info on an AV file, G-Spot. If you do not find all the necessary info in the Properties section, that utility will give it to you, along with all necessary CODEC's for both Audio and Video, plus tell you if you have them installed on your system. You are not likely having any CODEC issues, but Frame Size mismatch issues. Still, if you ever edit footage, that you did not shoot, that utility will be invaluable.

• 2. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
            MandyRose_9 Level 1

The frame size for both my footage and my project is 640x480 (square pixels), with a framerate of 29.97.

I am attaching a screenshot that shows the clip on the timeline and what my workspace looks like, with only the top left portion of my clip visible.  You can see a tiny screenshot of the full clip on the top left corner.

I would also like to mention that if I set my view to something larger than my screen can display (for example, 75% or 100%) it stretches and distorts the image within the size of the panel.

I realize this just might be a limitation of Premiere that it always displays this way, but it just seems as though it should show me the full clip (reduced to fit the window) while I'm working with it.

Thank you so much for looking at my question - I hope this additional info helps!

• 3. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your sequence settings do not match your source material. Create a sequence that exactly matches your source footage. Use desktop settings if needed.

• 4. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

MandyRose,

With a Project Preset of Desktop (Custom) set to 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0 (Square Pixels) and matching source footage, which the info in Project Panel verifies, this should not be happening. Going back to your Project Preset, can you check one more time that you have chosen Desktop, with the above specs. ? What you show is what one would get with a mismatch between the Project Preset and the source footage. That's why I'm bothering you with that one bit. I've thought that I had chosen properly, experienced similar, only to find that I had clicked one selection above, or below, or forgot to change my Frame Size in the dialog screen. In the Toolbar, you can go to Project>Project Settings and display the General settings chosen for the Project.

if I set my view to something larger than my screen can display (for example, 75% or 100%) it stretches and distorts the image within the size of the panel.

That other magnifications show only a portion of the source footage's Frame Size is correct. Depending on the size of the Program Monitor, one would have to scroll around higher magnifications, when they are chosen, instead of Fit. That it "stretches and distorts" is not.

I realize this just might be a limitation of Premiere that it always displays this way, but it just seems as though it should show me the full clip (reduced to fit the window) while I'm working with it.

PrPro's Program Monitor is an emulation, albeit a pretty good one. This is not normal behavior. That is why I'm looking for one setting that is not correct.

In the Timeline, Rt-click on the Clip, and check whether Scale to Frame is checked. If so, what happens if you uncheck it?

One other place to check would be the Effects Control Panel and twirl-down Motion, looking at Scale, to make sure that nothing has been applies there. Scale should be set to 100%.

That is all that I can think of at this moment. I'm sure that I am missing other places to check. If I can come up with any, I'll post them back with more questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                  MandyRose_9 Level 1

@ Harm Millaard:

Sequence Settings:

640 x 480 (1.0)

29.97 fps

44100 Hz - Stereo

Clip Settings:

640 x 480 (1.0)

29.97 fps

44100 Hz - Compressed - Stereo

Is there something else I should be looking for?  These appear to match each other...

----

@The_Wine_Snob:

Checking or Unchecking "scale to frame" makes no visible change.

Scale in the Effect Controls is set to 100%, position is at 320 and 240.

It doesn't seem to make sense that it's behaving like this.  Do you think perhaps this is a problem with the install?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

• 6. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Those match, just as you stated.

Obviously, Harm and I were looking at the same thing, and thinking the same thing. A mis-match would account for what you are seeing. That's why we were asking.

OK, that's ruled out. That would have been too easy.

Out of curiosity, what graphics card are you using, and can you go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manage, choose your card, and go to its settings, then get the driver number and date? Shot in the dark here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                      MandyRose_9 Level 1

I am running a MacBook Pro that has Parallels installed on it, and all my Adobe software is installed on Parallels (as Windows XP). 

I am not entirely certain why my company set up my workstation like this, but I wonder if it's causing the problem here?

Not sure if this is the info you were looking for:

Parallels Video Adapter

8/30/2009

Thank you so much!

• 8. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

MandyRose,

Thank you for that info. I have no idea if that has any bearing on the issue, as I do not know Mac's, and do not know Parallels.

Obviously, my reference to Control Panel>>>> is moot. I was giving you locations for Windows, so they're meaningless in this case.

Obviously, it would be easy for a PC-guy, such as myself, to just blame Mac, but that might have nothing to do with what you're seeing. OTOH, maybe a Mac-user, especially one who knows Parallels, can chime in. That could be the cause, or maybe not.

There is one user here, Charles McIntyre, who's in a PC/Mac studio. I have no idea if any of his Mac-co-workers run Parallels, but if so, maybe he can comment.

In the meantime, I'll keep thinking of things on the PrPro side, to see if any other possible cause hits me.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - you can ignore my suggestion for the G-Spot utility, way up-thread, as I do not believe that it's ported for Mac, though it might run under Parallels?

• 9. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The only thing I can think of is the codec in your test file, some version of MPEG4, which was not optimally supported in CS3. Which codec is used, according to GSpot or Mediainfo or QTPro, whichever works on a MBP. How does a PSD/BMP/JPG with the same dimensions 640x480 display in this project?

• 10. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                            MandyRose_9 Level 1

@Harm Millaard:

Just for test purposes, I made up a JPG that was 640 x 480.  It has the same issues that the video has (showing only the top left corner of the image, stretching and distorting at 75% or 100%).

I have tried various types of video files in this situation (MP4, MOV, AVI, etc) all with the same results.

I really appreciate both of your help, I'm sorry to be such a pain!

• 11. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

You really got me stumped. And I do not know MBP's enough to help you with that.

• 12. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

MandyRose,

I'm in that boat with Harm. You asked a great question, and are observing something that should not be happening - that ain't [SIC] normal.

Wish that I had some help, but just have never used, nor even read enough about potential problems with PrPro and Parallels. I'm just a poor daft PC-guy.

Good luck, and will be very interested, when someone in the know helps out. I will definitely learn something new.

Hunt

• 13. Re: CS3 - Change magnification of Source/Program windows?
                                  MandyRose_9 Level 1

Harm and Hunt:

Thank you both so very much for your time on this question.  I will be sure to post here if I discover a workaround or find out an answer from another source.

I hope you both have a great holiday weekend!