4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 4:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Premier Pro 1.5 reloaded, now doesn't see dvd burner

Mudd0601

My computer recently crashed and I had to reload all my software, including the XP Pro OS.  Now, Premier Pro 1.5 (PP1.5)doesn't see the DVD burner.  Yes, the burner shows in Windows Explorer and I've been able to burn DVD's to it and read from it using other programs.  Why won't PP1.5 see the burner?  I know I'm in the 19th century, and am getting ready to upgrade everything, but until then...   Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Premier Pro 1.5 reloaded, now doesn't see dvd burner
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This FAQ Entry from the Encore forum might point you in the right direction for PrPro to see your burner. Things like packet-writing software can "hook" a burner at bootup and keep Encore, or older PrPro from seeing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premier Pro 1.5 reloaded, now doesn't see dvd burner
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One way to test what Hunt said is to tell PP to create an ISO on your hard disk, instead of trying to burn a disc

Then use the free Imgburn to burn the ISO to DVD... if that works, your problem is some other program has hijacked the drive

PP/Encore need 100% control of a drive to work... anything that gets in the way means PP/Encore won't work

I don't have the link handy, so Google imgburn... may be www.imgburn.com but not sure

• 3. Re: Premier Pro 1.5 reloaded, now doesn't see dvd burner
              Mudd0601 Level 1

Thanks for the hint.  Following the suggestions in the FAQ I uninstalled Roxio, then did a search on my C drive for anything related to Roxio and deleted them.  The link in the FAQ to help remove any residual Roxio files was no longer valid, but it did get me to thinking about the Registry.  I went into regedit and did a search for anything Roxio, deleting anything that was found.  After rebooting a couple times, I then inserted the Premier Pro install disc and set it to repair.  After rebooting, Premier Pro was again able to see the DVD burner!!  Wah hoo!!!  Thanks for the tip - it helped a lot

• 4. Re: Premier Pro 1.5 reloaded, now doesn't see dvd burner
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                After rebooting, Premier Pro was again able to see the DVD burner!!  Wah hoo!!!  Thanks for the tip - it helped a lot.

That is great news, and thanks for reporting success.

What happens with both Roxio and Nero (and some others), is that a packet-writing module, InCD for Nero and DLA for Roxio, IIRC, and these are launched at boot. They hook the burner(s), to allow for drag-n-drop of files for DVD-Data, and Data CD's. Basically, the change how the OS sees the burner - as a virtual HDD, so long as there is writable media in the drive. As this happens at boot up, the Adobe programs take the OS's word, that that is really a HDD, and not a burner. The Adobe programs cannot find a burner. Now, ImgBurn, and some other burning utilities can see beyond what the OS is reporting and know that the drive IS a burner. Even though Roxio, or Nero, has hooked the burner, these utilities can work around that. Adobe programs cannot.

Once, the default "Express" Install of Roxio, and Nero, installed everything, including DLA and InCD. I have a fairly recent version of Nero, and it still wanted to install everything. However, reports have come in that the default is now minimal, so these modules seem to not be on the list, unless one does a Custom Install, which is what I always recommend and do anyway. I don't trust any Express Install.

There are also some "watchers" and "sniffers," that try to index and tag all files that could be sent to DVD/CD. I do not install any of those either, as they can cause other problems. With my Nero installation, without a bunch of the offending modules, my Adobe programs work fine. So long as one does a judicious installation, I'd guess that much of Roxio could work well too. There are just so many modules to exclude.

Also, as noted on the FAQ, I uncovered another potential issue - Quicken and its Backup to Disk, if a CD is ever used for this purpose. Once done, that DVD drive is now only seen as a CD drive, and packet-writing is enabled, until it is manually removed. This was discovered by accident, while troubleshooting someone else's problem. I'd have never thought to ask if a user had ever used Quicken's Backup to Disc, as it is an accounting program. Who knew that it would hook a DVD burner and convince the OS that it was first a CD-only drive, and that it was a virtual HDD?

Glad that you got it sorted out.

Hunt