14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 1:41 PM by Thrill Media

Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"

Thrill Media Level 2

I have been editing without issue for a long time and I haven't made any changes to my edit machine other than the automatic updates for Adobe and Vista.

Vista 64, i7 Core 940, 8 Gig Ram, nVidia Quadro fx1700, PP4.2.1.

Today I edited a video and saved it, later when I re-started Premiere the project hangs and will not open.  I reverted to one of the auto-saved versions, re-edited the video and saved it again.  I closed Premiere and then re-started it, and it will not load. 

So then as a test, I opened the auto saved project and all I did was save it as a new name and then closed it down and exited PP.  When I try to open it, it hangs.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, some others are reporting similar, one on PrElements 8, and one on a Mac with Encore - keeps changing his Project to a PC one, and then refusing to open that, as En NCOR Project files are not X-platform. It seems to be "going around?"

As a test, try a Save_As from one of your AutoSaves. Change the name so that it's unique, shut down PrPro, and maybe even reboot, then re-launch PrPro and try with this Save_As file. What happens?

Can you also try to Import one of the bad Projects into a new blank Project? What happens?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's the PrPro-Wiki Entry on Corrupt Project files. Maybe some part of it, like XML Wrench will point to an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
              Thrill Media Level 2

Thanks Hunt,

Yep, I did all of that.  I should have said "save as".  I have done it a number of times. Including re-booting the machine.  I did just try to import the project into a new project but that did not work either.

It always hangs at about 80%.  I will take a look at the wiki but if I can't save a project I can't move forward.

• 4. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I also assume that you are doing the Save/Save_As to an internal HDD. Is that correct?

Also, I do not recall if you mentioned version numbers of PrPro (CS4, I think) and your OS.

Do try to Import one of the "bad" Projects into a new, clean one, and report on what happens.

I'm beginning to suspect that PrPro, PrE and Encore have all contracted the N1H1, or something.

At least AutoSave is still working, but something is odd, as there are too many similar posts on the Adobe fora about Save.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                  Thrill Media Level 2

Yep, to my raid drive.  2TB with 720 Gig free.

See first post concerning the rest of the info.  I did try the import into new project. FAIL!  Like I said, anything I try to "save" or "save as" will not open. 

As a test I just created a new project and did a "save" as well as "save as", and it opened.  So I guess I better check out the XML issue.  Maybe, even though the "auto-saved" project will open,but will not let me open it once I save it, means that it might be corrupted as well?  Ugggggggh!

Thanks again.

C

• 6. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    See first post concerning the rest of the info.

Yes, I thought you had posted that, but since I had replied down-thread, I couldn't look back.

Now, how is your RAID managed, and what level is it, 0?

Also, There were some issues with Vista-64, but I do not recall this. Most were minor.

I did try the import into new project. FAIL!

Yeah, I was afraid of that, but it was something to try.

As a test I just created a new project and did a "save" as well as "save as", and it opened.  So I guess I better check out the XML issue

Interesting. I'd now add some of the Assets, that were used in the "bad" Project, just to see how things behave. If still OK, try ALL Assets from the "bad" Project, and test again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                      Thrill Media Level 2

I did the XML wrench and it says that the PP project is valid and 'well formed"  so, I don't "think" it is the XML.

I did use the original media in my test file it all plays fine.  Just simple DV, this is a basic web video at 2 minutes,  talking heads with b-roll and music, no effects, etc., mainly cuts with a couple dissolves.

• 8. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                        Thrill Media Level 2

One odd thing I see is when I copy my good auto-saved file in windows it is 1,110KB if I open it in PP and then save and close it it drops down just a bit to 1,109KB. 

That may be part of the problem???

• 9. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting observation.

First thing that I would do would be to open each .PRPROJ file in WordPad, side by side, and compare. Maybe start at the end, though I suppose that there could be a difference in any line.

There's probably a neat free utility to compare the two and find the differences, but I can't think of one right now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                            Thrill Media Level 2

YIKES!!!  That's scary!  I don't imagine I will get anywhere with that.  I do appreciate the thought though.

Here's what I seem to have figured out.  Although I can open my auto saved files from today, I can not save them and then re-open them.  PP just hangs.

I am able to open the auto saved files from a few days ago, save them and then re-open them.  I guess my conclusion is that all of the files saved today somehow got corrupted.  Kinda freaky.

I can't waste any more time on this so I am going to re-edit from the previous auto save and move on.  I just LOVE wasting a whole day... wheeeeeeee!

Thanks for all of your efforts Hunt!

• 11. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                              Thrill Media Level 2

YIKES!!!  That's scary!  I don't imagine I will get anywhere with that.  I do appreciate the thought though.

Here's what I seem to have figured out.  Although I can open my auto saved files from today, I can not save them and then re-open them.  PP just hangs.

I am able to open the auto saved files from a few days ago, save them and then re-open them.  I guess my conclusion is that all of the files saved today somehow got corrupted.  Kinda freaky.

I can't waste any more time on this so I am going to re-edit from the previous auto save and move on.  I just LOVE wasting a whole day... wheeeeeeee!

Thanks for all of your efforts Hunt!

• 12. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                                Thrill Media Level 2

ooops!  Even the dang website isn't working right! 

• 13. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  ooops!  Even the dang website isn't working right! 

OK, that clinches it. It's either the H1N1, or the phases of the Moon!

This is the third double post that I have seen today, so you are not alone.

Something spooky is going on, and Halloween was months ago.

Good luck, and if you do track down the issue, please post the cause, plus your fix. The Mac-guy on Encore is having better luck with newer Encore problems with Save, though he has no cause to report - just that things seem to be working as they should for him.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Premiere seems to be corrupting files on "save"
                                    Thrill Media Level 2

I think I have figured out that there is a BUG when working with dynamic link.  The same thing happened to me today and I was able to piece together my steps from today's incident as well as before(original post).  I believe it has to do with the dynamic link between Encore and PP CS4. 

Today I was editing fine and saving fine on a new project.  Everything worked great.  I linked to Encore to make a quick web version for client approval. Everything worked great, the client approved and so I re-opened the project in Encore to make the DVDs.

Encore could not find the PP project for some reason.  I tried to link it but it wouldn't accept it, so I closed Encore and tried to open the project again in PP and it hung.  I restarted the machine and tried again and it hung.  I had to re-edit the (insert favorite curseword here) project again to get it to work. Luckily, I had saved a previous version that was not far off and will be able to deliver on-time.  The client is showing it tomorrow morning.

I have not had this problem ever before and it only showed up since CS4.2.1.  I noticed a couple of other threads approximating the same results, I hope we don't have to live with this till CS5.