4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 1:26 AM by myfriday

Problem with auto-correct in camera raw 5.6

myfriday Level 1

I have a problem with Camera Raw 5.6 and I can't figure out a solution. When I import a Nef file into CS4 via Camera Raw, it looks different than the original. Camera Raw must be doing some adjustments and I am sure there's a way I can switch them off. Even though I turn off auto-correct settings (CTRL-U), the image still looks different (inferior) from original when it opens in CS4. There must be another setting that I can change in addition so that both images can be identical. When I save the NEF image in Irfanview as JPG, it ends up the same, but not when it's via Camera Raw.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Problem with auto-correct in camera raw 5.6
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

myfriday wrote:

There must be another setting that I can change in addition so that both images can be identical.

Uh no...you realize that there is no such thing as "correct" right? Various raw processing engines will render a raw file differently. Since Camera Raw doesn't use the camera makers SDK, Camera Raw will be rendering it's own interpretation of the raw image data in the way Camera Raw renders the data...

There are ways of modifying the Camera Raw defaults to include a camera vender look regarding color and modifying the default tone rendering. But that is something YOU will need to learn how to do. Camera Raw will not, by "default" match the camera maker's software.

Plenty of articles, tutorials and books for you to learn how to do what you want. But it would be useful if you understood that "raw" is raw and subject to interpretation. There is no such thing as "right".

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with auto-correct in camera raw 5.6
            myfriday Level 1

Many thanks for the reply. I guess my follow-up question is, whether someone knows the setting in ACR that will process the raw/nef file identically to the way Irfanview handles it as I would like the raw image to look like that, when load it into ACR.

I understand how to manually adjust it to make it look similar (and how to then save it), but it would save me a lot of trouble having to guess and maybe there's a box somewhere to tick for a certain processing mode.

(Sorry if this was asked before. I went back upto a year ago and couldn't find the same qustion.)

• 3. Re: Problem with auto-correct in camera raw 5.6
              athegn Level 2

I guess Jeff is too modest to mention that he is the co-author of the best book on ACR "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4":-

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Camera-Adobe-Photoshop/dp/0321580133/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s =books&qid=1261558121&sr=1-2

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem with auto-correct in camera raw 5.6
                myfriday Level 1

I played around with the colour space and camera profile settings in ACR and the results are quite satifactory. I still wonder how irfanview processes a RAW image though as I can't get it looking exactly like that no matter what I do.