4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 6:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Any chance Pre will recognize my Hi8 camcorder (via USB) ?

Photoscout

I have a Sony Video Hi8 (CCD-TRV318) camcorder with A/V output . It also has S-Video output but it is 4 pin and my computer is 7 pin. I planned on using my USB 2.0 port (class 1.0 driver) to connect the camera to and thus capture video but I don’t know if Pre 8 will recognize it. I was looking at one of those USB Video Capture Adapters (RCA to USB) but some are only compliant to the manufacture’s own video software. I don’t have a vacant bay to add a capture card to my computer so I’m trying to work with the USB. Thoughts? Ideas?

• 1. Re: Any chance Pre will recognize my Hi8 camcorder (via USB) ?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry. Premiere Elements can not interface directly with analog video.

I also would not recommend one of those USB-based capture devices either. They usually produce video that is incompatible with Premiere Elements and similar editing programs.

Your best bet is a DV bridge, which connects your analog camcorder to your computer via FireWire. The ADS Pyro AV Link is probably the best deal out there -- and its captured video works perfectly in Premiere Elements!

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer more information on analog capture devices.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any chance Pre will recognize my Hi8 camcorder (via USB) ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

No. PrE will only Capture via FireWire. You will need Analog to Digital to use the Hi8 material. Canopus/Grass Valley has a great one, the ADVC-110, or the similar Pyro A-D bridge.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Any chance Pre will recognize my Hi8 camcorder (via USB) ?
              Photoscout Level 1

Looks like the best solution in my case so I just put one in my shopping cart. Thank you both for all you do here.

UPDATE:

I just discovered that my Canon XHA1s has pass-through capabilities. I’ll try that first. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Any chance Pre will recognize my Hi8 camcorder (via USB) ?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With pass through capabilities and FW connection, that would be the best thing to try first. Many video cameras are dispensing with pass through, and they receive a higher VAT in Europe.

You will not have direct "Device Control," as one would with a miniDV tape camera via FW. Still, when I am doing a capture from my DVD/VHS deck, connected in a similar fashion to an A-D bridge, you get good at clicking the mouse in the right hand, and then hitting the remote for Play. At the worst, I only have about 3-5 frames that need to be cut out. That is very easy.

Good luck, and I'll bet that your video camera with pass through will work perfectly. Glad that you had one handy.

Hunt

PS - if not, then the Pyro, or the Canopus would be good choices. If you have a lot of Hi8 tapes to digitize, you might want to look into the Canopus ADVC-300, for a few $'s more. It offers some extra Timebase corrections, that can save hours of Color Correction, and also Levels adjustments. With a few tapes, the 110 would work fine.