3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 2:41 AM by Harm Millaard

SSD Build and Premiere

A-Kutai

Hi,

I am looking for some advice for a custom PC build that will be used as a home computer and some "casual" video editing with Adobe Premiere.  First some background...

I am building a computer for someone else, and they would like to be able to run Adobe Premiere on it with ease.  I consider myself to be very competent with computers and building them, however this is the first time I will be building one for video editing (previously I have built computers mostly for gaming or light use). I am having some difficulty with this as I have never used any video editing programs, and from reading these forums I can see there are some different considerations to make when it comes to storage.

Firstly, my build so far: Budget to stay between (CND) $1500-2000 including Windows 7. Client requested mirrored drives (Raid 1)

CPU: Core i7 860 - $330
      Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 - $150
      RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 (1.35v) 2x2GB Kit x 2 (for 8GB total) - $250
      PSU: Antec Truepower 650W - $80
      Case: Antec P183 - $150

Video: Radeon 4350 - $45

Primary Drive: Intel X25-M 160GB SSD (G2) - $550
      Secondary Drive: Seagate 7200.12 1TB x2 (Raid 1) - $180

Total: $~1750 (before price-matching, sales etc.) For reference this is from ncix.com

Previous threads in this forum have recommended a staggering amount of drives. One for the OS/apps, one for the pagefile, one for previews, one for the actual data, etc.  However it seems to me that most of these threads are either business orientated (someone who does video editing as a living) or don't take into account an SSD.  So to my question: Is having 4-5 drives really necessary given the listed usage for this machine? To me it would seem like having an SSD for everything but data would be the fastest way to do things, but as I said I am very inexperienced with Premiere and it may very well work better with a high number of drives.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Message was edited by: A-Kutai

• 1. Re: SSD Build and Premiere
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It is a waste of space to use a 160 G SSD, 80 G would be more than sufficient for OS & programs and will save a lot of money. With that amount saved get three additional Seagates, configure 4 of them in Raid10, so you have the required redundancy but also by striping them a much coveted speed gain. Then use the last one for a fixed pagefile. The alternative is to use all 5 disks in a raid5 (raid3 would take you way over budget). Personally I would prefer the raid5 because to the higher speed than a raid10 and the lower cost.

• 2. Re: SSD Build and Premiere
            A-Kutai Level 1

Thanks for the reply Harm.

This leads to another question however - is the onboard RAID controller up to the task of Raid10 or Raid5? I'm under the impression that the RAID cards that would be in my budget would offer no siginificant advantage over the onboard one, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: SSD Build and Premiere
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I did not see a raid controller in your budgetted components, but according to the Gigabyte website the mobo has:

Chipset:

1. 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
              2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10

Marvell 9128 chip:

1. 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
              2. Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1