4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 1:24 AM by AlessioCavallini

SOAP calls with Client Certificates

DavidRudder
      I am trying to access a site which is protected by SSL. They require client certificates, as part of the authentication process. I can't seem to find any documentation on working with client certs, everything seems to be about adding client cert support to Cold Fusion. But, I need it when I make a SOAP call from Flex. Can anyone help me?
      Thanks in Advance,
      Dave
        • 1. Re: SOAP calls with Client Certificates
          Datamania
          David, I am interested in connecting to a web server which requires X.509 client certificates. Have you found a way to use the HTTPService within flex to accomplish this? I can't find documentation on how to do this (or if it is supported). Sorry not an answer - thanks for any help.
          • 2. Re: SOAP calls with Client Certificates
            DavidRudder Level 1
            Alas, it's not to be. Flex's SOAP implementation uses the browser's HTTP stack, which means you need to set up client certs via the browser. If that works for you, then it's relatively easy. Just point your browser to the .p12 file, and it'll walk you through the process. For me, this wouldn't work, since I was making an app for general internet usage and I didn't want to have to have all my users install the client certs.

Instead, I made a SSL proxy on a hosted server, and gave it my client cert. It's a little kludgy and not the fastest thing in the world, but it works relatively reliably.
            • 3. Re: SOAP calls with Client Certificates
              Datamania Level 1
              Dave, thanks so much for your response. This has been a big help. The browser works fine for what I am doing - it makes sense that they use the browser's http stack. It's simple, I had thought it would be more complicated. Hopefully, this will help others who are asking the question on "How to use client certificates in flex". Your proxy implementation is also great information.
              • 4. Re: SOAP calls with Client Certificates
                AlessioCavallini
                Hello, I have some problem using client certificates with flex. If the webservice hosted on IIS is set to accept client certificates all works well, if I set it to require client certificates I receive a generic error:"unable to load wsdl". I can access the webservice trough the browser, without any problem using the client certificate .
                Any ideas?
                Alessio