8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2009 7:03 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error

ABWay0

How can I make my Premiere Elements 8 burn a Blu-Ray H.264 1920x1080 project without stopping (not crashing) with a “fatal error”(encoding media ~97% > burning disc 0% > fatal error; Adobe Media Encoder – Property Data Invalid”) after 13 hours?

I am trying to burn 629 stills (up to: 1671x1080, TIFF; PSD does not help) in 6 clips.  The stills and clips are ok since I can render them and also burn any 3-5 clips (up to at least 7.47 GB) but not all 6 (7.75 GB, 52:23).  The full project at 7.75 GB does not exceed BD-RE disc capacity (25 GB, full erase).  I can burn the full 7.75 GB, 52:23 project in H.264 1440x1080, just not 1920x1080.

I have followed http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/515/cpsid_51553.html = “Troubleshoot system errors and freezes when burning DVDs or blu-ray discs (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)”.

My Gateway LX6200-01 seems adequate: 2.20 GHz processor = AMD Phenom 9500 Quad core 64-bit; Windows 7 64-bit, Home Premium, latest update; Color Monitor 1280x1024, 32 bit color; 8 GB RAM; C:\(program disc) = 478 GB free; D:\(photo disc) = 463 GB free; E:\(media cache) = 92 GB free; F:\(disc encoding cache) = 258 GB free; ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics adapter (latest driver update); BD-RE = LGE BH08LS20, firmware 2.0 (latest update), set to DMA mode; PRE8 & PSE8: 64-bit, latest update.

All startup items and services disabled with msconfig.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Overally, your system is in excellent shape. You have got a couple potential challenges here though:

1) You're using Windows 7 64-bit, which is at the core of a lot of problems people are having with this program. The operating system works fine -- the problem is that the 64-drivers aren't yet compatible with your 32-bit software. The fact that you seem to be failing during a disc burn seems further evidence of this.

2) You're using very large photos -- but you need to, since you're creating a hi-def video. 629 is a lot of huge photos to use though! And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Premiere Elements is choking on them.

The test would be to see if you can output a video of your project. Can you do a Share/Personal Computer/MPEG and select the 1440x1080i 30 option.

If you can successfully output this MPEG, you'll have accomplished two things: a) You'll have proved that your photos aren't overloading your project and b) you'll have created a "pure" video that you can use as your source file rather than your photos. In other words, do a Save As and save your slideshow, delete all of the video on your timeline and replace it with your MPEG (actually it's an M2V). Your Disc Markers should line up and your project should look identical to your slideshow. Then you can try outputting your BluRay from it. (It should work fairly quickly.)

If you're still failing because of a 64-bit/32-bit driver incompatibility with your BluRay burner, we can look at a possible workaround for that.

But first you need to ensure your large photos are not choking the program, as I suggested above.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

This is a question for my edification. In you stated work flow, to create a BD-compliant MPEG-2 and use that as the new source Video, will PrE 8 just pass that BD-compliant MPEG-2 through, without re-Transcoding? I know that Encore will survey an Asset (the M2v in this case) and if it finds it to be BD-compliant, will elect to Not Transcode. If it does not, the author can choose that manually. Then, Encore will just pass through the Asset, untouched.

Thank you for that clarification and Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error

No, Premiere Elements will not pass an M2V file through without re-encoding to BluRay, Hunt.

But the M2V file produced by the Share preset I referenced above works as well in an HDV project as a DV-AVI does in a standard DV project. In other words, it's the perfect format for an HDV project, with minimal rendering.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for the clarification.

Appreciated, as always,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error
                  ABWay0 Level 1

Since I can burn H.264 1440x1080 but not 1920x1080, should I try burning to Personal Computer with 1920x1080i (either MEPG2 or H.264, which I think are the same)?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error

I don't know what you would accomplish doing that, AB.

Using my recommended specs, you'll creat a video you can use to replace your video in an HDV project so that you can burn a BluRay from it.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error
                      ABWay0 Level 1

Steve: Thanks for your good guidance.

Yes, I can output to an MPEG .m2t file, either H.264 1440x1080i 30 or H.264 1920x1080i 30.  I can also burn H.264 1920x1080 either directly or with the .m2t file to BD-RE discs (as long as I shorten the disc name to less than 12 characters).  But I can not burn either 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 to BD-R, either directly or with .m2t files.  When I try, the BD-burner "thrashes" for ~5 minutes before PRE8 quits with "disc error" (but PSE8 will "burn data" to a BD-R disc).

The MS website says that my LGE BH08LS20 is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit and I have updated its firmware to 2.00 which LGE says is Windows 7 compatible.

Any ideas?

Tony

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Blu-Ray Burn Fatal Error

Unfortunately, that 64-bit driver is apparently not compatible with 32-bit Premiere Elements.

sorry. Hope someone can offer a solution.