3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 7:36 AM by Mylenium

Basic Trial Version Questions

StanWelks Level 1

I want to download a trial version of After Effects on both a Mac and a Windows computer and try it out (I am completely new to the program).

1.) Do the trial accounts provide the same functionality as the full version? Are there any limitations? Can I export movies?

2.) Can files created in the trial version be later opened in the full version and modified there?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Basic Trial Version Questions
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
          The free trial version of Adobe After Effects software does not include some features that depend upon software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, mocha for After Effects, some effect plug-ins, and some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of Adobe After Effects software.

Yes, you can create movies, and projects created with the trial version can be opened by the full version.

If you're just getting started, I recommend that you work your way through the materials under the "Getting started" heading on this page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic Trial Version Questions
            StanWelks Level 1

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply.

1.) Does the trial version enable me to export video that can be imported into Final Cut Pro at 720P?

2.) Does the trial start when I download it or launch it the first time?

3.) Are files made in AE CS4 editable in AE CS3?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Basic Trial Version Questions
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

3.) Are files made in AE CS4 editable in AE CS3?

No. Never has, most likely never will.

2.) Does the trial start when I download it or launch it the first time?

The clock starts ticking on first launch.

1.) Does the trial version enable me to export video that can be imported into Final Cut Pro at 720P?

Yes. The trial has no limitations on standard Quicktime export formats, including FCP CoDecs. Only specific native formats that involve third-party licensing fees such as MPEG-2 for DVD are disabled/ unavailable as are some effects.

Mylenium