13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2009 8:16 PM by Paul787

660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?

mikecox_ Level 1

I just converted a 3 min prel file to an AVI file; but it's huge.

Is there a way to shrink it down to a usable size?

• 1. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
          Paul787 Level 3

660 MB is the right size for 3 minutes of DV-AVI files and should be very usable and easy to edit in Premiere Elements. What did you convert it from and what do you want to do with it?

After editing, you can burn it to DVD or file which will render it to a more compact size or you can Export it to numerous other smaller file size formats if you want to upload it to YouTube or play it on an iPod Touch or something like that.

• 2. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Paul indicates, DV-AVIs (the ideal format to edit in Premiere Elements) is 13 gigabytes per hour.

This is why the first great requirement for any video editing is many gigabytes of hard drive space! (Including at least 25-35 gig free at all times on your C drive just for paging and scratch files.)

• 3. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

First, welcome to the forum.

As Paul & Steve have pointed out, your file is appropriately sized.

The big question is: what do you wish to do with this file? That will determine each of the next steps to take. Be as specific, as you can, so that we can direct you, as will be required.

Hunt

• 4. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                mikecox_ Level 1

Paul,

I Exported the Project file; created in Premiere, using the AVI format; but I Exported it to my HD then dragged it to a DVD.  Was that the wrong process?  Will burning the AVI file change its size?  I'll try it.

• 5. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                  mikecox_ Level 1

Thanks

I had hoped to e-mail it to friends, or add it to my photoshop.com images; not . Of course in attempting to do that I got an error message; "file too large".   I haven't even considered the U-Tube option; yet.

I'm a real novice working in Premiere but I've successfully created the short video, which I, successfully, edited from an AVI file. This is my first effort at sharing; and I'm not having much luck due to it's size.

• 6. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DV-AVI is an editing format, Mike. If you want to share the video with your friends, you want to convert it to a delivery format.

And that, fortunately, is what Premiere Elements is for.

In Premiere Elements, use Get Media/from PC Files and Folders to add the file to your project.

Drag your video from the Project media panel to your timeline. Do any editing or effects you'd like. Then go to the Share tab and select Personal Computer.

Here you'll find at least five options for outputting your video. I recommend either MOV, using the cable modem preset, or WMV.

This will produce small files that you can load to YouTube or post on a web site and share with your friends.

• 7. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know of any file format limitations with Photoshop.Com albums and footage, but those should work fine, at greatly reduced file sizes.

I also go with the .MOV format, as it will likely be more X-platform, should the OP have Mac-only friends. Not sure who would, but there are some Mac-users out there. No, that will cover about all bases nicely, with fewer e-mails saying that the recipients could not play a .WMV on their Mac's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                        Paul787 Level 3

Mike, try Exporting to DVD. That will "render" it a different file format(which will take a few minutes), shrinking it in size greatly, and will add all the necessary files for the DVD to play in your computer and in most DVD players. The big AVI file sizes are normal, A recent video I did had over 20 GBs of AVI files in Premiere Elements which after rendering and burning, easily fit on a single DVD and with excellent quality. I don't think though that the file can be shrunk enough to e-mail.

Welcome to the forums too. .

• 9. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                          mikecox_ Level 1

I get it now   AVI as editing format!

I followed your instructions and created an WMV file that is only 46MB

Thanks, to you all, for your great help and support

• 10. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I followed your instructions and created an WMV file that is only 46MB

Glad that you got it working.

There are many different formats/CODEC's, and they can have many different uses. No one format does everything for every situation. One has to know, or decide, which one to use and when.

Thanks, to you all, for your great help and support

That is what this forum does best - help folk get the most out of their editing experience. One does not need to know all there is about formats/CODEC's, and one cannot, as there are changes almost every month somewhere. Many of the forum members have done almost anything that can be done with video, and can offer tips on how to do it best. That saves months of reading, and trying to take it all in. Also, much of it is highly abstract and one should not have to know it all.

Finally, you are most welcome! (saying that mainly for Steve Grisetti)

Happy Editing,

Hunt

• 11. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                              mikecox_ Level 1

Thought you might like to see the video you helped me create.

It's here:

mikecox.photoshop.com

• 12. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas and Happiest of Holidays!

Hunt

• 13. Re: 660Mb AVI file: how to shrink it?
                                  Paul787 Level 3

Nicely done Mike.

And Merry Xmas.