28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 1:59 PM by the_wine_snob

project 720x480 or 360x240

Level 4

Hi.

I'm using premiere pro cs3

I have to admit I'm being a little lazy here, because I could create the project size preferences and make them and test them but maybe I can save some time by just blurting out my question:

I have 6 original video files that are dv avi type 2  720x480. I used VirtualDub and converted them to b&w at both the original 720x480 size (using mainconcept dvsd codec avi type 2) and 360x240 (using divx codec openDML (avi v2.0)) . The original files are not being used anymore. I am using the conversions, making 12 files.

To test how things would work out, before doing all the conversions:

I created a premiere project dv ntsc (preset) 720x480 and put one of the 720x480 files into the timeline and it looks nice, didn't need to be rendered, and exported well as an avi type 2.  I put a smaller 360x240 into the timeline at the end of the 720x480 clip and it had to be rendered but exported well with the same settings and Gspot shows the exported movie as dv avi type 2  720x480.  The 360x240 has a lot of black around it, as expected.

What I want to do, eventually, is use the small 360x240 as the main movie sequence and put portions of the larger 720x480 into the sequence, so it looks as though I have done "close ups".  So the end product will be 360x240.

Does it make sense to do this project as a 360x240 working space instead of 720x480 ?   Wouldn't that create all kinds of problems with the codecs that can handle that size ? And if viewed on a tv screen I would have the black anyway, right ?  I can't test that because I don't have a dvd player that can read DVD-R disks.  So it wouldn't matter really ?  I'm thinking of the end product byte size a little too.

I thought maybe it would save me the time of experimenting with that if you might have had experience with this before...

Thanks

Rod

Beyond this question, if you have advice about the best way to get portions of the 720x480 clips into the 360x240 that would be welcome too.

I would not like to make a crop of the 720x480 where that crop becomes 720x480 (gets blown up to fill the size). What I would like to do is like when you are in photoshop and make a selection (being 360x240) and "copy" that part of the image, and then paste it into my sequence.

Thanks again...

• 1. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Im really confused why you are going through all these gymnastics.   Why not use the original dv files in Pr and scale them how ever you want?

• 2. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
            Level 4

Hi... I forgort to add....

As there are going to be a lot of segments of the clips going into premiere ( not the entire file of all 6 videos ) I can't stay in a project at 360x240 and overlay parts of the 720x480 clips with position and motion effects to move the over-large clip for the close up effect...  in other words, use the small frame size as if I can move the larger size like a layer in photoshop to where it works OK...  or am I wrong about that ??

Rod

• 3. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
              Level 4

wouldnt I lost a lot of quality doing it that way?

Rod

• 4. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                Level 4

Also, honestly,... I eventually want to be able to have a pretty good idea what it's like to edit film.

As that usually comes as a lot of takes that you kinda pick and choose from, making notes about which parts you want to use, I don't mind doing this a little bit on the nutty side...

Rod

• 5. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

robodog2 wrote:

wouldnt I lost a lot of quality doing it that way?

Rod

No.  You cant have better quality than the original.

• 6. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                    Level 4

Ok, thanks...that's a good idea..

can you point me to how to take a 360x240 portion out of a 720x480 size clip. Can I do that by scaling it ?

Thanks,

Rod

• 7. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

If you want the entire frame smaller (Picture in Picture) just use scale under Motion.

If you want to crop a portion of the frame there are several ways depending on your specific needs.  You can use the 4 point garbage matte, or the crop or clip filter, or an animated matte if needed.

• 8. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                        Level 4

Hi

That sounds like what I need to do. You know photoshop ...  Sometimes you have two images and you want to put a part of one big image into the smaller image, so that it actually fills the entire frame of the smaller image...

I would do that by my guides to get an exact 360x240 area of the large image I want to use.  Then I would use my selection tool and snap to the guides and make that selection.  Now I would use the command 'COPY'...and I could then go to the smaller image (the one that is 360x240) and paste into that image....now I didnt scale anything up or down...I just moved a portion of the large image to the small image....

That is fundamentally what I would like to do in Premiere.  I think your recommendation of the mattes is the thing for me to do.

Thanks a lot...I just need to read up on what matte would work best and whether I can get the size of the matte accurate enough.

Thanks again...

Rod

• 9. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

In PrPro, when you establish your Project Preset, say 360x240 in this case, that is what is seen as your Frame Size. If you then use a 720x480 Asset, and do NOT use Scale to Frame, what you will have is a 360x240 window, filled with a portion of your 720x480 Frame. The 360x240 window is all you will see of the larger Asset. Now, if it's not the window that you want, you can use Effect>Motion>Position to "move" that Asset behind that window to suit. Should you need just a little more, or a little less you can adjust your Asset with Effect>Motion>Scale to increase, or decrease the "view" through your window.

Is this what you want to do? If so, just make sure that Scale to Fit is unchecked, so your larger Asset is NOT Scaled to Fit.

Using a Photoshop analogy, your Project's Frame Size is like a Layer Mask. You can move that Layer Mask around your Layer to show different parts of that Layer's image, in the size of the Layer Mask. In PrPro, you cannot move the "Layer Mask," which is your Frame Size, but you can move the Asset. It would be just like your Layer Mask being fixed in space, and you would Move the Layer's image beneath it. It would be like uncoupling your Layer Mask, Locking its position, and then using the Move Tool on the Layer's image. Does that make sense?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                            Level 4

Hi Hunt,

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to end up doing ... for now anyway.

I made my first project 720x480 and put the 360x240 into it and thought I'd use a background image like in your sample video for the black space.

Then when bringing in the larger 720x480 I wanted to just bring in the portion that would have been seen had I used the position, motion, scale effects to see that portion...in other words, I wanted to extract , cut, clip, matte, or filter ( beforehand ...before adding to the timeline ) that portion of the larger sequence I wanted to use for that particular part of the sequence.

So instead of using the frame and image like layer being moved, I wanted to actually extract from the larger sized clip only what I wanted to use.

I suppose in film this would be ( in post ) optically photographing a particular part of the frame I want to use, creating a new piece of film that is only the part I want to use ...  I don't know how to express this well.

My crazy idea was to have notes on parts of scenes (both large and small sizes..., both the 360x240 and 720x480 sizes..) that I would cut and manipulate to individual clips...and only then put it into the timeline.  Later, if I changed my mind about the editing, I could simply remove / change the clip or change just a small portion of the sequence.  Like pieces of film.  And I thought I would also do the sound separately... not multiplexed throughout the sequence from the start of the project, as the original material is now.

Some of this idea was based on being able to do some other types of effects that are not part of premiere...  like exporting frames as TIFS, putting into photoshop and Corel....  Like, in Corel do some "tracing" and "painting"...  go from bitmap to vector and then back to bitmap...

Just stuff that I could do with individual clips.... and then import back to premiere.

So...the above is a half brained attempt at justifying doing something that is way beyond my current understanding.  I am only up to the 3rd chapter of fundamental tutorials by Linda.com !  I have a long way to go just to have a basic idea what I am able to do with video and premiere.  And comparing it to other things...film or graphics (bitmap) is mostly inconsequential in the world of video as they are so different.

Anyway, I have now created the project as 360x240 and plan to do what you described with the larger size image, which is not to scale to fit...and move it around like a layer to use the portion I want...and forego any of the other stuff I might have done ....which might be impossible to do for all I know.

Anyway, what you said re: photoshop analogy makes perfect sense to me, I understand that pretty well, and thanks for explaining it to me that way. It is the way I will do the editing, though I have to admit I feel as though I am compromising a little and that bothers me on a personal level, but I'm not ready technically to deal with it now.

Rod

• 11. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              So instead of using the frame and image like layer being moved, I wanted to actually extract from the larger sized clip only what I wanted to use.

You could do this by creating a Sequence for the "larger" footage, and then doing an Export/Import, into your working Sequence. Personally, I find doing it all in one Sequence, omitting the Export/Import (or even Nesting), is far easier. It's also a bit easier to make any changes, should your mind change.

You can use several Effects to accomplish what you want. Exactly which ones you choose and how you adjust them will be up to you.

As a for instance, you can Import your "larger" footage, place it on Video 2 (just an example), then use Effect>Motion>Scale, and maybe Effect>Motion>Position. Still want a bit more removed? Use Effect>Transform>Crop. Want some tracking? Then Track Matte Keying would be a good choice.

You might want to explore Nesting, as it would probably get you closer to what you want, allow for changes, and save the Export/Import. Now, you'll still be using the above Effects, but you'd still have a dynamic Sequence (the one that you Nest into the other), and good control.

Even for your example, using stills in Photoshop, I'd place the larger image over the smaller one, and use the non-destructive Layer Mask to get what I wanted, rather than Crop and Size the larger image, and then import that into the smaller one. I like anything that is non-destructive and can remain dynamic. Been down the other road all too often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                Level 4

HUNT !!!  GENIUS !!!

That's what I needed !  You've solved my problem !

First off, the export / import thing, that is a nice potential ...  I'm sure that's what I would have opted for if I hadn't read about the nesting things...

Here's what the nesting help file said in part:

-----

• Streamline your editing space. Create complex, multilayered sequences separately; then add them to your main sequence as a single clip. This not only saves you from maintaining numerous tracks in the main sequence, but also potentially reduces the chances of inadvertently moving clips during editing (and possibly losing sync).

• Create complex groupings and nested effects. For example, although you can apply only one transition to an edit point, you can nest sequences and apply a new transition to each nested clip—creating transitions within transitions. Or you can create picture‑in‑picture effects, in which each picture is a nested sequence, containing its own series of clips, transitions, and effects.

•  

---------

PLUS, I can do this with subclips, which makes the import / export thing even less necessary ...  as long as I don't mess up my original source sequences with some stupid move.

The tracking matte sounds good too...  and I'm hoping I can use it to pan...maybe a fast 'snap' pan over .... to another portion of the larger image...I have to read up on that and try it out, as I guess I would maybe have to time that with moving the large image  quickly in the opposite direction to get the frame I want..  But anyway, I see daylight finally !  Thank you !

The only thing that scares me about the subclip is that I tried that once (had about 20 subclips in the sequence, and believe it or not not a single one of them was named !  I didn't know they weren't being named automatically.  Anyway, I inadvertently expanded one of them to include more of the source, and everthing got royally messed up.  Sound was off , cuts were off, I think I even lost one subclip entirely without a clue where it went.  Its probably hanging out with robodog1. The export / import sounds good when I think of that...

Thanks a lot

Rod

• 13. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                  Level 4

Hmmm

I just realized I could maybe use a mask with slight gaussian blur (feathered mask) on those pans, to give the impression of a longer lens being used...

where background is outta focus when on foreground, and then pan to background and blur foreground a little bit...

would look cool.

Rod

• 14. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a very good TUTORIAL using Track Matte Keying. It was done by Curt Wrigley, was done for PrPro 2.0, IIRC and shows the use of TMK for "softening skin tones." It will be obvious quickly, how much more it can be used for, but I like this one, even if one has to "read between the lines" a bit, because Curt treats the subject very well in easy to follow steps.

I refer to this tutorial often, even when the poster wants to use it for something totally unrelated to "skin tones." I link to it for things like "highlighting a moving subject," etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Strange that you should mention Gaussian Blur. That is one of the Effects that Curt (post above) uses in his Tutorial. I use it to create moving vignettes, and so many more things.

Enjoy and have some fun,

Hunt

• 16. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                        Level 4

Heh, I've had that on my computer desktop for a week already !  (feeling heady) hehe...both the demo and tutorial.  Yes, it is a nice tutorial and demo, absolutely. I just finished the tutorial on using the project view as a storyboard type thing, and got carried away and spent an hour looking through all the clips, resetting the thumbnail images so I know what the main action is, and put them in order ...and put them in the timeline, ready to make the final edit...and went back to the tutorial to find out he doesn't want to go that far yet...just introduce to the basic controls and stuff....

Sometimes I am chomping at the bit a little.

Thanks again...

Rod

• 17. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                          Level 4

I am guilty of saying to myself when looking at the 'getting in the car' clips...stuff like "wait on the dolly move a sec longer...let the talent motivate the move" stuff like that...  or "wheres the bounce card for a little fill on that dashboard?"  but really I'm very happy moving along learning, as long as I keep going forward.  Solving this particular thread of my concerns re: my imagination and what I can actually DO ....was a big help.  The export / import was such a simple but elegant solution to one thing, while the nesting and matte stuff, and other effects, on subclips might even eliminate my doing any of that exporting /importing.  I have this fear of screwing up the whole thing and having to start over because everything is one long take....when I'm more used to thinking in terms of "getting in the car" type stuff.

Glenn has been very helpful as well with explaining how he would approach the editing / workflow, etc...as have other people too...

Great forum

Rod

• 18. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            I have this fear of screwing up the whole thing and having to start over because everything is one long take....when I'm more used to thinking in terms of "getting in the car" type stuff.

When I am about to get into a lot of experimentation, I will do a Save_As. This is different than the familiar Save and also the less familiar Save_As_a_Copy. What Save_As does is allows you to change the Project's name (like Save_As_a_Copy), but keeps this new Project open, unlike Save_As_a_Copy, which just places it in into the destination folder. Keeping it open in the program is the important part here. Now, I have my original Project, plus its AutoSaves, but now I have my newly named Project and after the first Save of it, the new AutoSaves begin. This leaves a "breadcrumb" trail, so that I can safely go back to, if things go horribly wrong. I cover this in more detail, plus also give details on what is in a Project file, either a .PREL (PrElements), or .PRPROJ (PrPro), in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do the same Save_As, when I am satisfied with a major edit, and maybe a Save_As_a_Copy too. It all depends on the Project and the amount of work done.

• 19. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                              Level 4

Hunt,

Thanks re: "save as"

Didn't look at the link yet for details...but I was doing a couple more tutorials just now and used the save as ...made a backup1 project. then went to that project to continue with the tutorial and work on the sequences.

I played around with the working area a little, trying to export JUST the working area (as hinted in the tutorial this was possible), but I didn't find any way to do that.  I could, however, slice it at the work area, select it ...and then copy /paste that section. I could also extract and something else (cant remember name of operation) that doesn't close up the clips ....leaves the space.

If I copy paste a sliced section into another sequence, I could theoretically export that sequence and then have individual "clips" saved for future manipulation (effects etc), and make my cuts, nest them if needed..... from those clips saved in the new sequence that I exported.

So I think I'm making some headway. I have so far to go with the tutorials just to learn the controls and know my options...  but I'm getting there.

printed out all the docs I had on my desktop    for the book...  a lot of good reference material there.  Plus I'm still printing out the help files...making my own "manual" from that, which is the main part of "the book".

Hooked up my old computer (when I moved last year I put the tower on the floor under my computer table and just left it there). It's mostly a database driven program I did in asp.net about grip and electric equipment (expendables, lumber, hardware, rigging stuff like chain motors, truss)...big database, and vendors associated with the equipment.  I had to learn about sql server, visual basic.net and asp.net to do the project, which took two years.

By the time I got done the dot net framework had gone from version 1 to version 3, so it was already outdated.  Heh !  And it's not done either...I have to get a pro programmer on it to finish it.

But things are moving along here at the homefront....so that's good.

Rod

• 20. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                If I copy paste a sliced section into another sequence, I could theoretically export that sequence and then have individual "clips" saved for future manipulation (effects etc), and make my cuts, nest them if needed..... from those clips saved in the new sequence that I exported.

When doing this, there are a few caveats and considerations to make. Let's say that you have a long Clip (we'll call it a "master" Clip, but that term has other meanings elsewhere, and in other NLE's - still, it should work for what we're doing), and one then Trims/Cuts it up into "sub Clips" (same thing here, as there are other meanings, but for our purposes, you should be able to see the differences), to be Exported, for additional editing, think about Handles. If you Trim/Cut too tightly, you will NOT have any Handles for future editing. Two choices: Trim/Cut loosely, leaving adequate Handles, OR Trim/Cut tightly, but with Handles, add the appropriate Transitions, and then Export for later editing. Remember though, with the latter, if you decide to cut out those Transitions, you will NOT have any Handles. If the term "Handles" is not one, which you are familiar with, please read up on these. If you still are unclear, ask. I have several examples of Handles. Back in the days of film, or A-B Roll editing, Handles were an easy concept to grasp. Now, as we place Clips on a single Video Track, the concept becomes more abstract, as one does not "see" them, but they are very necessary, or issues WILL arise. Just let us know.

When I do about what you are doing, I edit very, very loosely, leaving plenty of Frames for Handles later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                  Level 4

Hi

Yes, thank you for that.  I just did an edit on "getting in the car".  Sorta my first edit, although I did about 4-6 cuts on an earlier editing tutorial which was two girls riding bikes down a ski slope trail with the camera on the ski lift.

But this "getting in the car" thing is from Lindas tutorials "fundamental" ...I'm not really up to the editing tutorials yet but decided to just do this and have some fun instead of doing another tutorial today.

If you're familiar with the tutorial you know its a bunch of mov files that Chad shot of a girl getting in a car, starting it, putting on heater, radio, and backing out of a parking spot, and driving off.  Pretty simple.

Soooo, my first workflow solution was to edit rough in the project panel, with thumbnails. Then I put all those thumbnails onto the timeline video 1.

That was dumb. When realizing the dumbness of it I moved that stuff up to video 3.  Still dumb but less dumb.  Then I ended up ignoring those files completely, and moved the thumbnails from project panel right into the source panel and did my trimming there, putting those clips on video 1 timeline.

Then (thank God) I had the room you speak of (handles) to make adjustments once on the timeline.  In some cases I had to move the same clips back to the source panel and make new in / out points to get a different portion of the same clip, and move onto the timeline in a new position....

So after doing this I understand more how it works and how those handles are really important.

The mp4 I exported isn't good quality but I honestly didn't care about that right now... I just wanted to see it outside of Premiere.  And I can see I still have to tighten it up a little bit.

My next deal will be the soundtrack. I need to unlink the soundtrack from the timeline video, export that separately and put into soundforge...save the major 'effect' sounds (footsteps, car starting, clicking of heater switches and so on....) and mix with some other low background music or something, and then when she turns on radio, mix in the music from the radio.  Then stick it back into Premiere and have it in sync.

Hmmm.  An all new challenge.

If you'd like to comment on the 'getting in car' thing it is here....   http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard3.htm

Rod

Merry Xmas !

• 22. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Not familiar with that tutorial.

When it comes to audio editing for video, welcome to PrPro. It does a great job of allowing you to put it all together. While I rely on Adobe Audition for much of my audio work, PrPro has a lot of power.

Good luck, and Happiest of Holidays,

Hunt

• 23. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                      Level 4

Hi again, next problem:

sheesh..

My tutorials have been set up in a 780x640 space so far...

The getting in car files are mp4, as opposed to all previous files, which have been mov files

These mp4 files, according to gspot , are 640x480

video codec : avc1  name: H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC

29.97 frames/s

Hitting MS A/V (gspot vid and aud cannot handle) I get "render OK, following filters:

sonic mp4 demultiplexer ...  DivX H.264 decoder   video renderer

sonic mp4 demultiplexer...DivX AAC decoder ...AC3 filter...(default directsound device)

Is there a "best" way to export from Premiere the sequence I did or is it basically a waste of time, since its mp4 files to begin with ?

Rod

• 24. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Exactly what is your delivery scheme? That will direct you on the Export settings.

When one is working with highly-compressed source footage, and then Exporting to a highly-compressed format/CODEC, the quality will take another big hit. That is unavoidable, and is the main reason why so many here recommend starting with lightly-compressed, or uncompressed I-frame source material. Still, there are times where it cannot be avoided, like yours, where you are using the the tutorial material. Also, in this case, the ultimate quality is not really such an issue. Were this a commercial job, things would be different.

Personally, I find the DivX CODEC to be a good one for streaming media delivery. However, the quality will be compromised, as the compression is quite high. Still, for smaller, streaming media, that compression works to keep download times lower, and the quality (if it has not been previously compromised) can be quite good.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                          Level 4

Hi.

Thanks for above info. I tried the divX and it was horrific.  But since I'm new at this it could have been the settings of the divX compression that I didn't have right.  I was using "home theatre"...preset ...trying to more or less duplicate what the original files are according to Gspot.

But I ended up using this for exporting:

get in car-export.jpg

The project is now :

Desktop / 29.97 fr/s

640x480 D1/DV NTSC (0.9)

lower field first

30 fps drop frame timecode

audio sample rate : 48000hz

rendering: format video for windows

compressor cinepak codek by radius

(configure: compress to color)

It seems to be doing a good job:  and the job is just to view this on my computer and check out the basic cuts and sound sync and so on. For the tutorial.

I just now went back into it (imported last mpg exported) ...and replaced part of a clip that had a lot of garbage on it (artefacts) from an earlier blunder.

Also as per advice from Glenn, made the soundtrack piece "Chad's band" start sooner, as soon as the girl turns the radio knob....there was a delay before.

Also got rid of a single extremely red frame that came from out of nowhere....it is gone, back to the future or wherever it came from.

There's some more garbage I'd like to get rid of

And oddly enough doing these little tweaks has got me learning even more stuff.  Like, I had to look up on the internet how to get rid of the red frame. So now I know how to slice on either side of a frame and paste the frame before into it's place.

I still feel as though I know zippo about the codecs but I suppose that will come in time, as I focus more on one thing at a time...

Rod

(I now have 'get in the car' version 5 up on my webpage and it grew from 20meg to 30meg)

• 26. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                            I still feel as though I know zippo about the codecs but I suppose that will come in time, as I focus more on one thing at a time...

The best that you can do is learn the concept of CODEC's, how they are used and some of the more common ones. The CODEC landscape changes every quarter, as new ones, and variations on existing ones, are introduced by camera mfgrs., and similar. We all are learning as they come out.

It's never-ending, and is likely to continue at a pretty good clip. Learn the basics, and then just plan on doing research with each new iteration, or implementation.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                                            • 27. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                              Level 4

Hi

There sure is a lot going on with the technical aspects of video for all these different "schemes".

This gem is probably the best concise (and beautifully designed - and illustrated ) pdf on the mpeg codecs I've seen.  I have great book on mpeg but haven't even got to the point of reading it yet.  You might want to keep this link handy for others:

http://www.media-matters.net/docs/resources/Digital%20Files/MPEG/MPEG%20Encoding%20Basics. pdf

It prints out nicely too.

I got to the above link from your reference to I-Frames  (using media files that are mostly if not all I-Frame was a suggestion you made).  I wouldn't have known an I-Frame if it bit me, so I went on the internet.

The pdf has great illustrations of the frames and how they are handled, what happens in what order, etc etc...

Rod

• 28. Re: project 720x480 or 360x240
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Being the old-guy that I am, cannot recall if I gave you this link. Anyway, take a look at the FAQ, linked in this ARTICLE.

Jim Taylor was heavily involved in the specs. for DVD (and BD), and covers a lot of ground regarding CODEC's and compression. If nothing else, his FAQ is great for getting answers to almost any DVD, or BD question.

Good luck,

Hunt