4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 9:21 AM by PedroAlberto

XMP metadata and organizing clips?

PedroAlberto Level 1

Hello,

I use PPCS3 and PPCS4 depending if I use cineform .avi's or not.

I have a bunch of video clips from my HV20 Canon and HMC-150 Pansonic cameras.

Can I use XMP metadata to organize my library of video clips? Also can you use XMP metadata to add markings to the good parts of the clips and then label the good parts of the clip  which then can be found later via search?

I am looking for some good software for PC users to organize video clips. Something like lightroom for video would be perfect.

Any ideas? What are others doing to organize all their video clips?

Thanks,

Simon

• 1. Re: XMP metadata and organizing clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I am looking for some good software for PC users to organize video clips. Something like lightroom for video would be perfect.

Not sure about the metadata sorting capabilities, but have you looked into Bridge? It has good organizational capabilities, but might fall short of what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: XMP metadata and organizing clips?
            PedroAlberto Level 1

I don't use Bridge much but I will try it out and see if that helps.

Hard to believe there is not something better out there?

But I have not found anything yet.

thanks,

Simon

• 3. Re: XMP metadata and organizing clips?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Hard to believe there is not something better out there?

Oh, I am not saying that there is not, but just that I have used Bridge for my organizing, and have not looked too far beyond, so I do not know of what is available. ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software) is about to introduce TP-8, and it's been in heavy development for well over a year. It might have enhanced metadata support. Also, I am using an older version of Bridge, so do not know how CS4 Bridge has been improved. It might have the support that you're looking for.

More formats are relying more heavily on metadata, so I can see where this will likely be more heavily implemented in the near future.

Good luck, and please update your thread, should you find the ultimate organizer. Others will benefit.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: XMP metadata and organizing clips?
                PedroAlberto Level 1

No luck yet but if I do I will definitely let everyone know.

Happy Holidays!

Simon