8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2010 10:37 AM by Psychdoc_1

Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?

Jeff Ellis Level 1

OK then, Lightroom has a new update- v2.6

So does Camera Raw - 5.6

I do 99% of my raw file processing in LR , but occasionally need to do it in CS3.

According to the notes if I upgrade LR to v2.6, I need to update Camera Raw to v5.6

I still use Photoshop CS3. Until more money comes in I wasn't planning on upgrading to CS4

This being the case, do I NOT want to update my Lightroom to v5.6??? Will that screw things up if I am still using Photoshop CS3?

Can you have both Camera Raw 5.5 and 5.6 available so CS3 can use CR 5.5 and Lightroom use CR 5.6???

Appreciate the input.

• 1. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Jeff Ellis wrote:

Can you have both Camera Raw 5.5 and 5.6 available so CS3 can use CR 5.5 and Lightroom use CR 5.6???

If you have Lightroom 2.6, you don't "need" Camera Raw 5.6 in Photoshop CS4. Lightroom is capable of rendering the raw files into Photoshop. The key is to "Use Lightroom Rendering" not by trying to open the image into Camera Raw. Camera Raw 4.6 (the last ACR for CS3) can not render the Lightroom image adjustments found in LR 2.x.

But Lightroom 2.6 is perfectly capable of rendering your adjusted raw files and Photoshop is capable of reading those rendered files. Just not the raw adjusted files...

• 2. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
            Jeff Ellis Level 1

Thanks Jeff,

That was the one question I left off - whether Lightroom even needed 

ACR.

As I said, I pretty much do all my raw processing in LR. Just didn't 

know if LR used ACR in the background.

So I can do the LR 2.6 update & leave my ACR alone until I upgrade to 

CS4.

Thanks!

PS

Are you still in Chicago or did you move West. Years ago- early 80's 

-  in my assisting days I used to do B&W printing & some extra 

production assisting for

Jean Moss. Alway an interesting time. And I always meant to stop in at 

your place and introduce myself & see what you were up to, but never 

did.

Sorry I didn't get to know you then.

take care,

Jeff Ellis

• 3. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Jeff Ellis wrote:

Are you still in Chicago or did you move West.

Yep...still on the near North side (just a block north of North Ave.)...not doing a lot of commercial work these days (not enough money, not enough creative)...

I remember Jean...I got to know her a bit just before she passed away...a lot of the good ones die young...

Too bad we didn't hook up (although some here may think you are lucky we didn't)...

hope you get the Lr stuff worked out.

• 4. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
                Psychdoc_1 Level 1

Do I understand this correctly ... that if I am using LR 2.6 and CS3, that when I go to Edit in CS3 from LR and the warning message about the Camera Raw versions being incompatible comes up, all I need to do is click on the tab for "Render in Lightroom" and it will open in CS3 with the Lightroom adjustments I made?  I have been struggling with this because I have been clicking on the tab that says "Open Anyway" and there are no adjustments when I get into CS3.  It has been very frustrating.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and regards, Mary

• 5. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
                  Jeff Schewe-dxJlyU

Psychdoc_1 wrote:

...that if I am using LR 2.6 and CS3, that when I go to Edit in CS3 from LR and the warning message about the Camera Raw versions being incompatible comes up, all I need to do is click on the tab for "Render in Lightroom" and it will open in CS3 with the Lightroom adjustments I made?

Correct...if your Camera Raw version is behind the processing version in Lightroom, Lightroom must handle the processing.

• 6. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
                    Psychdoc_1 Level 1

Thanks so much for your help.

Regards, Mary

• 7. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
                      JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

And as far as I can tell, it works flawlessly.  I have been using Lightroom 2.6 with Photoshop CS3 & CS2 without any problems at all.  Just let Lightroom render the image.  That is no different than what someone has to do who uses a non-Adobe product for additional editing.

• 8. Re: Lightroom update 2.6/ Camera Raw 5.6 + CS3?
                        Psychdoc_1 Level 1

Thanks much, Jim. 

... Mary