8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 8:05 AM by pebalsamo

AVCHD 720p60 problem

pebalsamo Level 2

OK, I am going to try and explain this the best I can.  It is kind of strange so bear with me.

A few months ago I finished a wedding project that was shot in AVCHD 720p60 and it was edited on PPro 4.1 (Before the last 2 updates that included AVC Intra).  So in the Pre-Wedding montage I have a 720p60 sequence and each of the clips that I used I clicked on the footage file in my scene bin and went to "Interpret Footage" and then "Assume frame Rate" and changed it to 30, and it was giving me perfectly smooth slomo.  Well this client brought in the HDD with eveything on it this week to have a few other things done, and now the entire montage is all screwed up (I will explain).

What I mean by all screwed up is that it is not playing the proper part of the clips.  So if I set an IP at 01;00 and an OP at 05;00 when you play the clip in the timeline it plays the correct portion of the clip but if you stop playing in the middle of the clip you will see an entirely different part of that clip.  This is with the red line above, so I render it then plays only a different part of the clip.  Sounds strange I know but if you have any 60fps clips please give it a try.

I thought that maybe it had something to do with that particular project so I opened a new project with some other AVCHD 720p60 footage and it is doing the same thing.  I tried just leaving the clips at 60fps and then using the rate stretch tool and everything seems to work fine there.  I just wanted to see if anyone else can duplicate this weird error, and hopefully Adobe can fix it.  Not a huge deal for future projects because I can use the rate stretch BUT if other projects come back for work it completely screwes everyhting up.  The only thing that I can do now is re-edit which is several hours of time that I should not have to spend.  Plus the fact that the client of course wants this before Christmas and I am supposed to start vacation in 2 hours for the next week and a half.

I am not a very happy camper at the moment....

Phil

• 1. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
          pebalsamo Level 2

I also wanted to point out that I tried the clips in a 720p30 sequence and they play great until you add a cross dissolve then where ever there is a cross dissolve it play a different part of that clip...

Phil

• 2. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Not enough handles causes that. Start reading on handles in the help file or manual.

• 3. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
              pebalsamo Level 2

Arn't handles just the space from the start of a clip to the IP or from the OP to the end of the clip?  So if I had a clip that was 10;00 long and I set an IP at 01;00 then I would have a 1sec handle, and as long as my dissolve was not more than a 2 sec overlap I would be fine?  Or am I way off on that...

If that is what they are then I have plenty of time between the start/end and the IP/OP.  In some cases I am using 5 seconds in the middle of a 2 min clip.  The only time that it happen with dissolves is when it is being played in a 30fps sequence.  If it is a 60fps sequence it does it all the time with no dissolves...

Phil

• 4. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I have a 720p60 sequence and each of the clips that I used I clicked on the footage file in my scene bin and went to "Interpret Footage" and then "Assume frame Rate" and changed it to 30

Don't do that.  Interpret and edit the clips as shot in a matching sequence.  Export the finished edit to whatever format you need.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
                  pebalsamo Level 2

I know that now...  Prior to this I have done it quite a bit for my slomo with 60p footage with no problems.  I just hope that no one else brings any back for other work.

For the time being I just took a copy of the prewed that I already had a Blu Ray and played it composite out of the bluray play into premiere and I am using this to make them a Standard DVD to get by with until I get back from vacation...

Thanks...

Phil

• 6. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    if I had a clip that was 10;00 long and I set an IP at 01;00 then I would have a 1sec handle, and as long as my dissolve was not more than a 2 sec overlap I would be fine?

That is very close. The only issue is with the 02 sec. Transition, and your example. To be 100% perfect, you would want 02 sec. of Handles. Now, the Cross-Dissolve is essentially adjusting the Opacity of Clip 1 from 100% to zero, and adjusting the Opacity of Clip 2 from zero to 100%. One could possibly get by with your example, but would really want to have adequate Handles for the entire Transition so that even at very low Opacity, Frames from another scene before/after the IP, or OP do not show. Even at points up/down the Opacity ramp can be perceived by the eye. The viewer might not know what is wrong, just that something is wrong. Otherwise, you've got Handles down. Now, Dip-to-Black works a bit more closely to your example.

Good luck, and hope that others can cure the 60i issues.

Hunt

• 7. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Hey Phil,

I am responding here to your private message.  Perhaps I am repeating what others said here, but oh well.

The idea of using interpret footage is a neat one but not what I would recommend with Premiere Pro.  In CS3, about the only really cool feature we added (besides porting to the Mac) was the time remapping feature which offered superior slomo.  So, for future projects, I would definitely use the time remapping feature instead of Interpret Footage command to get your 50% slomo

That being said, I'd like to see if I can reproduce this.  Is it possible you can post a 720p60 clip somewhere to see if I can reproduce?  I don't know that this would be something that the engineers would rush to 'fix' because they might argue the point, but I'd definitely like to submit if I understand your problem correctly.

Let me know if I'm off base here at all.

Best,

Dennis

• 8. Re: AVCHD 720p60 problem
                        pebalsamo Level 2

I am out of the office until next week, but if you can tell me where I can upload one too I would be happy to get you a clip...

Phil