15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 9:20 AM by dilstongreen

PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable

dilstongreen

From time to time, and for no apparent reason, the clips on the timeline become fixed and I am unable to move them with the mouse. At the same time that this happens, moving the mouse cursor to the right (anywhere on the screen) makes the timeline move bodily to the left  -  and vice versa. I have done a System Restore, re-installed PE7 and made sure that the graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4350) and the mouse (PS/2) drivers are up to date, and nothing has freed up the timeline.This makes the current Project unuseable!

My processor is an AMD Athlon 7750 dual-core and I have 4GBs of RAM. I have searched the Knowledge Base, to no avail, and would be most grateful if anyone out there can suggest a solution to this problem. Incidentally, I am not a computer whizz!

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a quirk we've been discussing a lot on http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/ . But we still haven't found a permanent fix.

For now the temporary fix is to zoom in or out on the timeline (by pressing the - or + keys on your keyboard). This usually unlocks things.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe, still sounds like a graphics overlay, or mouse driver issue. Thanks for pointing out that you have both done a System Restore and also updated your graphics and mouse drivers.

Now, a couple of questions:

Graphics:

Do you have Hardware Acceleration ON. If so, try with it OFF. If OFF, try with it ON. If either helps, then increment UP, or DOWN, and test. If you then get that behavior, go UP, or DOWN, one "notch."

What is your OpenGL set to? This is most likely in your graphics console.

Mouse:

Do you have a MS InteliPoint driver installed. You state that the PS2 driver is being used, but check for the MS InteliPoint driver too. That has cause all sorts of problems in Adobe programs. Seems to be cyclical, as things like GUI jitter/flashing will exist in several driver issues, then be fixed for several releases. Then, with an update, other GUI issues will surface for a couple of versions, only to disappear with a later update. Worth checking out.

Workflow:

When this behavior happens, you do not have a little blue progress bar in the lower-right of the GUI, do you? This would be a recently Imported Video Asset being Conformed, and all work should be held up while that blue progress bar is in the lower-right of the GUI.

Hope that something helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
              dilstongreen Level 1

Many thanks, Steve. The + & - keys don'ty solve the problem and I have yet to go to the link you helpfully provided. I will do that after Christmas. In the meantime.....Happy Christmas to you.

• 4. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                dilstongreen Level 1

Many thanks to The Wine Snob. I will study this advice after Christmas and come back to you. In the meantime ......A Happy Christmas to you.

• 5. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please report on your findings after Christmas and the Holidays - may your be great!

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                    dilstongreen Level 1

Steve, I am glad - in a way - that this problem is not unique to me and my computer but am surprised that Adobe have not issued a patch to correct it. I'm afraid that I couldn't find my way round the link to Muvipix that you gave me. I got to the forum but couldn't find the string relating to this particular problem. Could you possibly give me a link direct to the relevant posts. Many thanks

• 7. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                      dilstongreen Level 1

Hunt, Many thanks for your detailed response but, as far as I can work out, neither Graphics, Mouse nor Workflow provides the solution.

Graphics:   My computer tells me that my Monitor does not support Hardware Acceleration (19 inch, Samsung SyncMaster 206BW)

Mouse:   No, MS IntelliPoint software is definitely not installed.

Workflow:  No, there is no blue progress bar suggesting work in progress. In fact I can do other things, like insert new clips from the Edit interface, but once inserted become immoveable.

If you have any further thoughts on this problem I would be more than grateful because, as it stands, this particular Project I am working on is now useless and, unless Adobe come up with a permanent solution in the form of a patch or something, then PE7 is no good to me.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

• 8. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

On the outside, it would seem that the problem would be in the GUI (Graphical User Interface) of the program. While it could be a quirk in the coding in the GUI, it would seem more likely that something external was causing it.

The above possibilities are the first that come to mind, as they are the "usual suspects," and each has caused a problem with the GUI in several Adobe programs in the past. As there are many layers of devices, drivers and code, all interacting with the GUI, two other "suspects," would be Hardware Acceleration and OpenGL. These have been known to cause issues, though maybe not exactly what you are encountering. Again, these thoughts are based on issues that may only share a touch of similarity, and may have zero to do with what you are seeing. It could just be some sloppy coding in there somewhere. The more of the normal causes, that are ruled completely out, the closer one comes to coding, or something else, that we're just not recognizing.

Good luck, and yes, Christmas, and all of our Holidays were great. Now, let's all have a very Happy New Year!

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                          dilstongreen Level 1

Thank you for your thoughts on this problem, but I'm afraid that the answer - if indeed there is one - is likely to be way beyond my limited computer knowledge and ability. I will just have to accept that this software is flawed and have to find an editing program that is a more stable and with fewer bugs! Thank you again for your help and a very Happy New Year to you.

• 10. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                            rtprtp Level 1

Steve, where exactly is the threaqd. I clicked on your link, but couldn'r find it.

Happy Holidays!

Stan

• 11. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                              dilstongreen Level 1

Stan. Are you experiencing the same problem as me?

• 12. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                                rtprtp Level 1

This happened to me once, and I hope it doesn't happen again. That's why I was looking for the thread of discussion. Did you find it?

My solution, i think, was to shut down and restart. When U had the problem I was using a mouse on my laptop. I haev not had that problem while only using the Pad on the laptop. Did you think of trying a new mouse? PE7 is such a great program, it would be a shame for you to give up on it for this reason.

Good luck, Stan

• 13. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This might be the discussion on Muvipix. Start reading on Page 2, as the replies on Page 1 are for "Runaway Timelines," and the inability to nudge Clips does not surface until Page 2.

I'll keep looking, but do not recall the discussion.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                                    dilstongreen Level 1

Many thanks for the link. The "runaway timeline" and the inability to "nudge clips" are both problems that I am suffering from, and they both come at the same time, so they are obviously linked in some way. I have been on to Adobe with this problem and they have failed to come up with a solution, so I don't really know what to do now!  Maybe if we all wrote letters to one of Adobe's top brass they might take the problem seriously!

• 15. Re: PE7 clips on timeline become fixed and immovable
                                      dilstongreen Level 1

Bill Hunt gave me a link to the relevant discussion (pages 1 & 2) and it makes dismal reading. There are a lot of people out there suffering from this same problem and nobody knows how to cure it! Adobe know about it but have not offered any solution that I know of.

Since posting the above, I have been playing around with the idea of getting round the problem of the clips being immoveable and have been using the  'cut & paste' method, which seemed to work .However, after a few minutes, the timeline stopped scooting around and the clips suddenly became moveable!! I don't know the science behind this but, thankfully, I can now get on with editing my Project.............until the next time it freezes