7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2009 3:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Why is some of my video being lost?

homeboy 1102

I am at a loss to my video capture problem. Being new to Adobe Premiere Element 8, I must be missing something. I have home movies on VCR cassettes. First I transfer the videos to a DVD disk by using my Paanasonic VCR-DVD recorder machine. The DVDs are created and replay just fine on my PC and other DVD machines. I copy 1 hour of tape to the DVD. The system automatically breaks the 1 hour into 15 minute chapters. No problem so far.

Now when I try using Elements 8 to capture the contents of the DVD, I only get the sound on the first 15 minute segment. No video comes out. The other 45 minutes on the DVD is captured without problems (both sound and video). I have tried this repeatedly and it is always the first part of the DVD that has the problem. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Your Panasonic is writing to DVD-Video, and if it's like mine, will add rudimentary Menus and limited navigation. Unfortunately, the first .VOB file on the DVD-Video will contain that stuff, along with the very first part of the MPEG-2, which is the Audio & Video muxed (Multiplexed into a combo of Video & Audio). The VOB's can only be ~ 1GB in size, but through the other files in the VIDEO_TS folder, and how the VOB's are named, a video player can "assemble" the contained MPEG-2 files and play them completely.

This ARTICLE will give you some more background.

Now, you probably have the full MPEG-2, but it spans several of the VOB's. First thing that I would do would be to copy the VOB files from the DVD disc, to the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and try to Import all of them. Be forewarned that the first VOB might give you problems, as it has the Menu and navigation, along with the MPEG-2 (part 1). When using a DVR, or similar, there can be problems, as they play fast-n-loose with the DVD-spec. and PrE is very sensitive to having everything in the DVD-spec. The above article will give you some alternate choices.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, I use a Panasonic unit, probably similar to your unit. However, the only thing that I use the DVD aspect for is doing an archive of the VHS tape. Instead of using that DVD, I use an Analog to Digital (A-D) bridge to get my digitized material to the HDD. The reason for this are two-fold:

1.) When a DVD-Video is created, the digitized material is compressed into MPEG-2 format. When you later want to edit this material, it is already compressed, and in what is called a GOP (Group of Pictures) format, and all frames are not there. You have one traditional Frame, and the next ~ 15 are only "difference" frames, which do not contain all of the info, only links back to that last full Frame, the I-frame. If one is going to edit, they need ALL I-frames, and PrE creates those, so one can edit at a Frame-level. When done, if they want to end up with an edited DVD-Video, that footage will have to be compressed again, into MPEG-2. By doing the capture via the A-D bridge, I save that file to DV-AVI Type II, which is ALL I-frame, and edits nicely in PrE. Then, when finished, and I go to my edited DVD-Video, I only have one MPEG-2 compression, and not the 2 that you will have. The quality is much higher.

2.) As stated above, DVR's, most similar machines and many software authoring programs do not follow the DVD-specs 100%. These results will give problems, and usually with the first VOB, which also contains Menus, etc. The use of an A-D bridge bypasses these problems, as all you have are the pure DV-AVI Type II files w/ nothing else included.

I am a big fan of the Canopus ADVC-300 A-D bridge, but their much less expensive unit, the ADVC-110, or the similar unit by Pyro, can do all that you would want. The only real advantage of their 300 model is with the Timebase corrections for color balance and gamma correction, plus other corrections. However, it's more expensive and all of those corrections can be done in PrE, though they do take some work and time. For me, being able to do them at the time of capture saves me time.

There are cheaper A-D units, like the Dazzle, but I don't know of anyone, who's ever gotten them to work. We get dozens of users with them each year. The vast majority throw those units into the trash and go with the Canopus, or the Pyro instead.

Good luck, and hope that something here helps you,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve Grisetti also has this FAQ Entry. You will want to take a look at that article too, as he probably covers some things on this subject, that I did not.

I also updated my Tips & Tricks Article to reflect this common question.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Edited to reflect the FAQ Entry

• 5. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thanks for the additional links. If you don't mind, I am going to copy those over to my DVD - VOB Tips & Tricks article, so they will be readily available.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Copy away... I hope/plan to update my notes page over the Holidays as I have time (have family visiting tomorrow, and I will be spending time setting up and tuning the new HD DVR the DirecTV installer is bringing this afternoon)

Then, when all those new users show up wondering why they can't edit the video taken with their Christmas gift, I can just point them to the part of my notes page where I talk about editing compressed files

Besides which... I just made note of previous discussions... so any help we can give a newbie is good

• 7. Re: Why is some of my video being lost?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Thank you. You've done such a good job of gathering material, I feel that it will be useful to many.

Have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and for us all, Happy New Year.

Hunt