6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2009 8:25 AM by MD Miller

ACR 5.6 Download Compatibility Confusing

MD Miller Level 1

I went in to get the update of ACR to 5.6 and the instructions s

aid.

The Camera Raw 5.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 6.0.

Then it said:
      • The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Windows) is Camera Raw 5.5.

So.  Am I supposed to update my PSE 6 to ACR 5.6 or not?

I do intend to upgrade to PSE 8 pretty soon and I did read that ACR 5.6 does update PSE 8's original ACR.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ACR 5.6 Download Compatibility Confusing
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

MD Miller wrote:

The Camera Raw 5.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 6.0.

Then it said:
            snip.......

Doesn't really matter what it says AFTER the fact that 5.6 is NOT compatible with Elements BEFORE version 6...right?

Pretty sure 5.6 WILL work with Elements 6 Windows...why not download it and try?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ACR 5.6 Download Compatibility Confusing
            MD Miller Level 1

Thanks Jeff,

I just didn't know which statement Adobe really meant and didn't want to install it if it was definitely not compatible.

Of course, I save the last, previous version renamed.

• 3. Heck, I had the same problems - with both Elements 7 and 8
              benherrmann

I just made a separate posting on the Camera RAW forum, indicating that the ACR 5.6 update that I downloaded and installed in both Elements 7 and 8 were showing up as ACR versions 5.5 (and just to be safe I tried decoding the Olympus EP-2 files which 5.6 was supposed to handle).  As assumed, 5.5 couldn't recognize the new files.

This is a mistake on Adobe's part on their website.  I downloaded Lightroom 2.6 also - and it was just fine.  It's just ACR where the mix-up occurred.  It is obvious that Adobe accidentally put up version 5.5 as 5.6.  Hope they fix this soon.

Ben

• 4. Re: Heck, I had the same problems - with both Elements 7 and 8
                MD Miller Level 1

Did you close Elements, remove the old plug in, rename it, and place it somewhere outside the elements f

ile structure? Then copy in the new module and then open Elements.

I assume you have done this before, but I really don't know.      

• 5. Yes, I actually went in and deleted the old plug-ins....
                  benherrmann Level 1

Then I copied the new downloaded version into there.  I always have done it this way previously and they've always worked.  Now I wind up with version 5.5, which I don't understand.

• 6. Re: Yes, I actually went in and deleted the old plug-ins....
                    MD Miller Level 1

I see.  I have had similar problems in the past with PSE reporting BOTH versions in its filter

list, but that was because I had not renamed the old file and moved it.  I just moved it and Adobe tracked it down some

how and showed both versions as active at the same time.

I did learn that Lightroom's ACR is built in so there is no need to get the plug in unless we do have PSE (for our listeners here).

I did note that my new update to LR 2.6 that the flash screen that first comes up does not say anything about the ACR version like it used to.

You can only see which ACR is in LR 2.6 when you go into Help/About (for our listeners here).

I have not tried the ACR 5.6 plug in for my PSE 6 yet but I will have to for compatibility with LR.  I do intend to get PSE8 soon and maybe Premiere Elements so I can make slide shows to play on TV DVD players.  My wife got a free upgrade to Windows 7 and I understand that Windows Media Player can make a slideshow for the TV, but I don't know if it is the low quality (the unsatisfactory images) or whether it can make really good slideshows for my analog Sony TV as well as HDTV which two of my sons have.  If anyone does know about this, I sure would like to know which tools I must have or can get away with.  Per Barbara, I do have to check the software included with my PC to see if the DVD burner came with something.