5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 3:27 PM by Willis77019b

Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?

asuh

We have a new Vista x64 PC that was loaded with CS3. Photoshop is successful to use, but Illustrator and Acrobat have both caused nothing but problems. It got to the point where we couldn't even open the programs.

When opening Illustrator, it would begin the loading process by showing the opening banner and running through the scripts and plugins. After an unspecified amount of time, randomly, the program would immediately shut down.

In Event Viewer, there is even an event id 1000 and always defaulted on ADMPlugins for Illustrator.

We even tried running in XP compatible mode but experienced the same problem.

Out of frustration, we uninstalled CS3 and installed CS4 trial version. Now when we open Illustrator, we can actually get in and use it. Randomly, every time we use it, it will shut down and give the screen to send the problem to Adobe. This time the problem is an exception error.

Neither Illustrator CS3 or CS4 seem to work on this OS.

• 1. Re: Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I believe there are issues and perhaps remedies as well. But I admit I can not guide you to apage that can help you.

Keep in Mind tht AI is 32 bit on any platform.

• 2. Re: Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?
            asuh Level 1

Yes, I realize AI is 32 bit! I have a copy of AI running on Windows 7 just fine. But since this is a work computer with Vista x64, I can't just go out a buy Windows 7 to test. We either get it working correctly on Vista not use it at all. I hope someone has an answer!

• 3. Re: Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not a windows person but I wonder if there is a way to set Illustrator as 32 bit, you would know better than me but there might be also a fix from Microsoft i read several issues with XP and Vista and cannot recall which  is what. But I recall there is a fix and i think it is a setting .

I hope someone chimes in as well.

• 4. Re: Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can't say much. Works fine on my Vista 64. Windows error 1000 is just unexpected program termination, so this is of no help, either. The only clue lies in AI and Acrobat being affected, so it is possibly an issue with the shared PDF libraries. If you run a virus tool, it might be worth a spin to turn it off. In light of recent security risks with PDFs and EPS files, it may actually be blocking older, "unsafe" versions... On that same note - a "Repair" install of Acrobat (Help --> Repair) has healing powers. This may also bend things in place.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Illustrator and Vista x64 incompatible?
                  Willis77019b Level 1

I have it running on 64 vista in emulation mode with only rare problems. This your computer is like mine, the problem is that the corporate guys have loaded my computer with so much security and compliance junk that it is hard to find the cause of emulation probems with 32 bit software.