6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 5:46 AM by Brian (The barefoot man)

I've lost all audio and more . . .

Brian (The barefoot man) Level 1

Hello Steve and All.

Just when things were going well, something fatal has occurred. I use a mix of MOD files (Panasonic cameras) and AVI files (Canon mini DV camera) and all has gone well with the editing until yesterday.

The problem is that the program (Premier Elements 7) thinks that my media is off-line, but it isn't off-line. When I try to relink, the 'Locate Media' option gives the following error: "The selected file cannot be linked because its type (video) does not match the original file's type (audio and video)."

I cannot proceed from there.

When I try playing other MOD files in my library, I get no sound. When I try playing the MOD file with another program, everything works fine.

Now I am stuck. I cannot get Premier Elements 7 to recognize any of my MOD files. It has worked for months, but this has me at a dead stop.

Last night I ran the Repair Option from the installation program disk and the program began to work again -- but it was time for bed, so I shut down for the night. Tonight, the problem is back and cannot be repaired.

I am stuck in a big way. My deadline for a party video is Christmas, but I cannot proceed.

Please help me. I don't know how to resolve this problem.

Sincerly,

Brian

• 1. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Do you have your OS set to update automatically? Often, these can kill things like audio drivers. Now, that should not affect existing Assets, though could convince PrE that something is different. I'd immediately check your audio (and video, while you're at it) drivers, and install any newer ones.

Also, let's consider that something else has changed on your system. This could be part of an OS update, new hardware, or new software. I'd manually do a System Restore Point for now, and then try rolling back my system to an earlier System Restore Point. Sometimes, these have to be done from Safe Mode, which where I always do any System Restore. There should be one from back when things worked as required. Even if this gets your Project out the door, and you need to poke around some more to find out what changed, you'll have your System Restore Point from today, as a starting point.

BTW - you haven't moved any files, say to an external, have you?

Good luck, and I hope that a simple audio driver installation can help you, or that a System Restore Point from a few days/weeks ago, will handle it.

Hunt

• 2. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .

The problem started part way through the editing process last night. No Windows update was installed. Note that audio works fine for AVI files but not MOD files.

The files are all on an external drive as usual.

I'm wondering if I have a corrupt video file in the mix somewhere. I've just deleted all of the video files from the party project and from my library and ran the repair option again from the installation disk. Hold on while I launch the program and test an MOD file from a different project file.

. . .

OK, it is working again.

So back to my hypothesis. Could this be from a corrupt file? If so, how can I determine the culprit file?

I'll try a few other files to see if the program is stable again.

I'm still open to suggestions. I may have to abandon my party project if I cannot get to the root of this problem.

I wonder, is Version 8 more stable?

Thanks,

Brian

• 3. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .

I've re-imported the largest video files for my party project and all seems well so far. I wonder if the project file is corrupt.

Should I restart the party project from scratch? I have not lost much work so restarting a new project file will be fairly painless. Do project files sometimes go bad?

I must get to bed now, so any ideas for tomorrow would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

• 4. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                The problem started part way through the editing process last night. No Windows update was installed.

If one has Window update set to full automatic (default), there are many OS updates that will download and install, and the user never knows about them, unless they require a reboot. Many do not. I just manually downloaded full updates to Office, plus four new hot-fixes for XP-Pro, and none required a reboot. Unless one has changed the default, these things can download and be installed without the user ever knowing about it.

So back to my hypothesis. Could this be from a corrupt file? If so, how can I determine the culprit file?

Glad to hear that things are working for you now. This would be when I would do a Save_As, and a Save_As_a_Copy, just in case. This ARTICLE will give you some of the details on the differences between the three flavors of Save, plus some background on what is in a .PREL file.

About the only way to track down a bad Asset would be to systematically eliminate Assets, testing along the way.

What is the connection for your external? USB externals have been known to have serious read/write issues. I'd look in my Event Viewer, and check for any error, or warning messages. Look especially closely in the links in any, for driver errors, or for Delayed Write Errors. That would point to the USB external.

I have neither encountered, nor have I read of such issues with FW, either 400, or 800.

Good luck, and hope that the Project is completed on time!

Hunt

• 5. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .

Although I have not traced the problem to one particular asset, everything is working properly now. I deleted the troublesome project file and the program has been working properly ever since.

I have Windows update set to prompt me prior to installing a patch. I do not suspect a Windows update in this case.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

• 6. Re: I've lost all audio and more . . .
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Although I have not traced the problem to one particular asset, everything is working properly now. I deleted the troublesome project file and the program has been working properly ever since.

Brian,

That is great news. I hope that things continue to function perfectly through completion.

I have Windows update set to prompt me prior to installing a patch. I do not suspect a Windows update in this case.

This is a good course of action to take, and for several reasons:

1.) many patches, updates, hot-fixes can break video and audio drivers. One knows when something has been updated.

2.) some of these require a reboot to install completely. Little is worse, than to be in the middle of a Project, and the OS wants to reboot the computer. In XP-Pro, there is a pop-up, with a count-down to reboot. One has to manually keep closing it, or the reboot will be automatic.

3.) because I shut down my AV, pop-up blockers, and spysweeping software, during editing, I do not want any program opening up an Internet connection to any site - my defenses are down, while editing, though I am behind several hardware firewalls.

I do the same for every program - only manual updates. Nothing is automatic. I've had major crashes when two programs, that I forgot to set to manual decided to update, while I was working. Guess which two programs got put on manual, as soon as I recovered?

Good luck,

Hunt