5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 5:09 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Fields confusion

Andy Bay Level 1

Hi!

I have footage shot with a Panasonic P2 camera in the 1080i format (Dvcpro HD codec). I understand that it is upper field first and indeed it looks best when I interpret the footage as such in AE.

But this is what is confusing me: The final output media is going to be a regular PAL SD dvd. I from what I understand, PAL SD is lower field first. So what will happen if I export as the original upper field first from AE and bring that file to Encore? Is Encore capable of correctly turning the upper field first into lower filed first in the encoding process?

Or would it perhaps be wise to deinterace the footage in AE before exporting and then make the export as progressive footage?

• 1. Re: Fields confusion
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          So what will happen if I export as the original upper field first from AE and bring that file to Encore?

Nothing. PAL SD is upper field first, anyway. That lower field first thing is merely a matter of MPEG stream flags (or these flags missing and the player resorting to defaults). As usual: It merely depends on correctly carrying your footage interpretation. If that is observed, Encore will correctly encode.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Fields confusion
            Andy Bay Level 1

Ok, thanks for clearing that up Mylenium!

• 3. Re: Fields confusion
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As Mylenium says, PAL SD is typically UFF.  Except when it's using the DV codec - DV is always LFF.  Even so, that should make no difference.  If you were rendering your 1080i UFF content to DV LFF, so long as your interpretations are all set correctly AE will handle the conversion of field order just fine.

• 4. Re: Fields confusion
                westpiffel Level 1

i am trying to mix sony Z1 hdv downscaled to sd (lower field) from firewire in premiere cs4 with nx5e sd mpeg footage (upper field).PAL.

have tried changing the field dominance but whichever video stream i change the field dominance the picture degrades & is unacceptable.

Think i may put nx5e back & get another Z1..seemd to be better picture quality anyhow...is that the 3 ccds outperforming the 3 cmos chips..more inconvenient going through tapes in realtime though than dragging mpeg files via usb.

• 5. Re: Fields confusion
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > i am trying to mix sony Z1 hdv downscaled to sd (lower field) from firewire in premiere cs4...

This is a good question for the Premiere Pro forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current