6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2009 2:57 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2

dr_um

I have a new Mac with 10.6.2 installed onto it and I can't get illustrator 10 to install.

Have managed to get Photoshop 7.0 on then Upgraded to CS, but now cannot get illustrator 10 to install, I don't use it often so I don't really want to fork out on the whole new package £500+.

I've heard others have got it to work, any tips on how I can get it to work?

Many thanks

Paul

• 1. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It may not be possible. AI10 requires the Classic OS in the background to install. The only reported way to do it is to drag an existing good copy from an existing install but even that has the possibility of missing some of the shared components. You may have to use an external drive and install a bootable version of an earlier OS, boot into that on startup and install the AI10 from there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
            dr_um Level 1

Thanks for the reply, the reason for the upgrade was my previous mac died, but I have a friend who has a powerbook so I might give that a go...

Have been hearing some horror stories of things not working properly.... so I'm thinking of upgrading, I'm betting Adobe wont allow me to upgrade from 10 anyway so this could be expensive, ah well the pleasures of OS upgrading.... Don't you just love it!

Cheers for the help!!

• 3. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I believe the way it would work is if you install it on another Mac you can then use the migration assistant to move it over to the new Mac that would install all the files that would not be install if you just dragged it over. I also believe that if will ask you if you want to enable some components of earlier OS X system that will allow it to run on OS 10.6.x,that will happen once you try to launch the application.

If it does not ask you this and it does not launch once you have it migrated then it might not be possible.

My suggestion is to upgrade if you have a new Mac you might find life easier that way.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
                Harron K. Appleman Level 4

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2226984#2226984

From the ReadMe file on the AI10 install CD (emphasis mine):

OS VERSION: When using Mac OS X, Adobe Illustrator 10 will only run on Mac OS X version 10.1 and later.

INSTALLING: If you use both Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2, you can install Illustrator once and then launch the same application from either operating system. However, when you first install the application, you should install it while running under Mac OS X as this will ensure that all the proper preferences and support files are installed in the correct locations. Do not run the installer in the Classic Environment of Mac OS X. If you installed Illustrator 10 on Mac OS9 and want to run the application in Mac OS X, you can run the installer while running Mac OS X and do a custom install for Mac OS X components.

The problem with running the installer might not be Classic-related so much as possibly more limited emulation capability in the newest OS X. If you do a search here (and good luck with that), you should be able to turn up a number of additional discussions.

• 5. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
                  dr_um Level 1

Thanks guys....

I have downloaded a trial version of CS4 - and it's wonderful...

I'm going to go the whole hog and upgrade to CS4..

Going to see if I can find someone selling it secondhand as £500 is a lot to pay for something I rarely use...

Cheers agian

Paul

• 6. Re: Just got a new Mac and I can't get Illustrator 10 to install on OS X 10.6.2
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

£ 500 is a bit of quid.

that for us here in the states about $200 more than we pay in the States which is 1/3 more.

true you guys make a bit more but the outrageous vat must make up for it alone let alone the higher prices.

I am actully impressed how everyone seems to get by on that side.