7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2009 7:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Rendering

kdoc2 Level 1

I'm new to Premiere Pro CS4, on a trial version, learning it with Lynda. Can someone please direct me to an understanding of "Rendering". I note that most things I do in Premiere then slows down or distorts the clips until I render--and that takes considerable time. What's going on, and how to minimize the time spent waiting for rendering to take place? I can save the effects etc. for the end, but is there anything else I should be doing--for example in importing, etc? Please

Thanks

kdoc

• 1. Re: Rendering
          Harm Millaard Level 7

A couple of things:

Use editable formats, use a high powered system, render only if needed for preview, and last use a high powered system.

Rendering is only used for previews where you need fluid play-back. Otherwise there is no need to render.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rendering
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Harm's comments, Rendering is highly dependent on exactly which Effects are applied. Some require almost no additional time, and some will require maybe 10x the time. It depends.

One thing to also consider is that you can use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to ONLY Render the section of the Timeline, that you are working on.

Many editors do not Render that much, and then only for tiny snippets of the Timeline, where it's necessary to see smooth playback. I go through maybe 5 Projects, with no rendering. However, there will be other Projects, where I might Render tiny snippets dozens of times, as I work to get just the right Effect. Then, Rendering is just a fact of life, but at least you can limit the area that is Rendered via the WAB. Just click-drag on its little "bracket" handles to shorten it to the area that you are working. It can be resized, for your next area.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Rendering
              kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks: I think I get the gist of what you're both saying. Two questions arise from that

: 1. What constitutes an edible format? and 2.Having never worked with video, I've a system with 4 GB RAM, a Processor of 2.2--core duo, a middle of the road video card. Were I to upgrade my computer in the future or replace it, what do video editors aim for in a "power" computer? Because I noted that almost everything I did required rendering to get smooth video to preview.

kdoc2

• 4. Re: Rendering
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                1. What constitutes an edible format?

For SD material, DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV audio is as good as it gets. When one does a Capture from a miniDV tape camera, this is what they'll have. With HD material, HDV is good. The new Panasonic I-frame material is great. Probably the biggest plus is a format/CODEC that is I-frame, rather than GOP (Group of Pictures) format/CODEC

What happens all too often is that users will try to use heavily compressed, mostly "delivery-only" material, to try and edit. There are many possible CODEC's that fall into this category. Some can be converted to a editable format/CODEC with only the loss in quality, resultant from the initial compression, but still it will edit.

For recommendations on an NLE (Non Linear Editor) system, Harm Millaard has some very good articles on the types of improvements/additions that give real time benefits. The links in this ARTICLE will point you in the right direction. Also, when you get to the point of upgrading, or purchasing a new computer, there is a great hardware sub-forum right here. That would be a great starting point, and many can offer you choices on either, plus tell you what you will get for your $'s.

Also remember, not everyone has a cutting-edge system, but they get by fine, by doing things judiciously, when necessary. Power is great, but smart editing can help until one hits the lottery!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Rendering
                  kdoc2 Level 1

Well happy holidays all. I hope you won't think me ungrateful for your present: it's (the information) truly awesome. But as a novice in video, and a non-comuter expert, I'm a bit overwhelmed by my first read-through. But I'll keep plugging .

kdoc2

• 6. Re: Rendering