12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2009 12:04 PM by JamSki88

Dynamic Link Not Working!

Spitzer Evan

I recently had to reinstall all of my production premium suite, and since i've done that Premiere freezes up when I attempt to link it to an After Effects composition. Found a fix for Windows on the internet, dealt with dynamic link not having a link to the new installation of premiere, but the file paths were rubbish since I'm on a mac. Please help if you know how to fix this!!!!

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Standard answer: Deactivate, uninstall, run Clean Script 2 or 3 times, install, activate, update.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!
            JamSki88

For me, the "standard answer" didn't work when I had this issue recently (actually, the "standard answer" rarely works, I've found).  In my situation, it was Red Giant Software's Knoll Light Factory plug-in that was breaking ALL dynamic linking in CS4 on my OSX system.

All I did (after finding a very helpful thread here with answers that go beyond one short sentence) was remove the Knoll Light Factory 2.5 folder from the /MediaCore folder.  After I did that, everything worked.

For others, uninstalling other Red Giant Software or other third-party plug-ins solved their broken dynamic linking problems.

If you installed any of those recently, I suggest systematically uninstalling them until your dynamic linking works.

Why an After Effects plug-in (in my situation) broke ALL of CS4's dynamic linking functionality is a mystery.  I informed Red Giant about this and told them I wasn't alone, but since they couldn't recreate the problem on their end, I don't expect an "official" fix anytime soon.  And since dynamic linking is key to the new Adobe Media Encoder working, it was necessary to find a solution.  I was very close to reverting back to CS3 when I stumbled upon the solution from helpful users here.

Good luck.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If a poster does not mention plug-ins, we can only assume he has no plug-ins installed. If he has plug-ins, he should mention those, like you should have done instead of only part of the story. If anybody is at fault it is the one who gives incomplete info, like you did.

• 4. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!
                Spitzer Evan Level 1

Thanks Jam, I have recently installed some Red Giant plug-in, quite a few actually! Sorry that I did not list all of them, this is my first post. In future I would however like to not be accosted about this. I don't think any offense was intended by Jam's post, and in his defense, the "simple answer" has never worked for me. I am not trying to blame anyone, but I don't appreciate your negative post. Let that be the end of it, and I have quite a few plug-ins to uninstall, so thank you for your posts!

Evan

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!
                  JamSki88 Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

If a poster does not mention plug-ins, we can only assume he has no plug-ins installed. If he has plug-ins, he should mention those...

To be a good troubleshooter, you have to consider ALL possibilities.  I simply stated that my solution to his exact problem was to remove my Red Giant plug-ins until I found the problem, and that he may want to consider removing any just in case he had them installed too.

And what do you know?  He did!  And, from reading the original poster's follow-up, he now may be one step closer to solving his problems.  Isn't that why we're all here?  To try to help?

So, by me "thinking outside the box" and not just offering-up a "cookie cutter" solution, I may have done just that: helped.

After ~8,000+ posts, you should know that when users are frustrated and worried about their non-functional software, they tend to omit information.   I know--I was in the original poster's shoes not too long ago. You shouldn't scold them for being unintentionally brief.  You should be helpful and offer a good possible solution, no matter how off-the-wall it may seem.  Those off-the-wall answers are sometimes better than the from-the-book ones.

The easy answer to give is to uninstall and reinstall.  I hate when that's offered as the definitive solution.   That's just tech support being lazy and unimaginative.

• 6. Re: Dynamic Link Not Working!