8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 2:34 PM by DOT Cartographer

Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?

DOT Cartographer Level 1

When I export from ArcMap to AI, any raster images end up stuck together on one layer in AI. I need each image to be its own layer in AI. Any suggestions?

Also, I need to scale all relative to one of the images being exactly 17" x 22".  How can I "tell" Illustrator to make the image exactly 17" x 22"?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
          Scott Falkner Level 5
          1. Select all objects, then Release to Layers from the Layers panel flyout menu.

2. Select object, enter new size in Transform panel or Control Panel. If you want all objects scaled to the same percentage it’s more work. Click on the target object, note the size, use a calculator to determine the scaling percentage necessary, select all, Object > Transform > Scale.
          • 2. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
            DOT Cartographer Level 1

Thank you for the response. The ai layer seems to fuse the two images together as one.  That one image is then selectable as many different slices stacked on top of one another, each on its own layer within the image group.  I can toggle any individual slice on or off, but it does not distinguish between the individual images.  When I release to layers, it creates more layers but doesn't allow me to interact w/the two original whole images individually.  Does this read poorly?  Should I attach the file?  Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Several things you should do to make the conversion to AI easier. One is to not use any transparency in the ARC Map construction. Use only solid lines for any line feature. Use only solid fills with no strokes for polygons. If converting from Grids to polygons, use 3,000 instead of 300 to increase the accuracy of the polygons. When using text symbols from the ESRI fonts, use only solid filled symbols, do not add strokes as these come across as two seperate text items. When opening an ARC generated AI file, the first thing is to do a Save As and overwrite the file (or give it a new name) to update it to the current version. If you don't and just do a Save, it will be saved as an AI3 file with everything on a single layer and you will have to go back and recreate the structure. Just some of the things I've learned in working with ARC files in the last 11 years.

• 4. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
                DOT Cartographer Level 1

The attached bmp shows my issue--the hillshade and the map you see are two different tifs.  They have been exported from ArcMap together as an ai file.  I then Save As with a new name.  I need the ability to turn one off while the other remains on, but they keep ending up on the same layer. And, as the bmp shows, AI has chopped the image up into thin slices--I can toggle each slice off and on, but there is no distinction between the hillshade and the map.  What do you think of this?  Thank you!

• 5. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
                  alex dodson

I'm currently experiencing similar problems.  So far I've discovered that adding each layer into Adobe Illustrator seperately will produce layers that can be turned off and on with the help of a program called MAPublisher, developed by a company called Avenza Systems.  I'm still figuring out the program myself, but with MAPublisher, I think what you're attempting to complete is possible.  I'd be very grateful if you posted any progress or discoveries, my current tasks are paralleling yours.

• 6. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
                    DOT Cartographer Level 1

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble, but somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one!  Yes, I informed my supervisor today that I believe Avenza's Map Publisher may be the only way to achieve the effect we're after.  We're submitting a request for the software soon.  Meanwhile, I have adopted a "quick-fix" that skews the hillshade very slightly. It is not a long term solution, but sufficient for the provisional mapping we're currently creating. I'll write back if I discover anything else related.  Thanks for the post!

• 7. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
                      alex dodson Level 1

Check out this PDF. 

http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc05/papers/pap1101.pdf

It's a list of instructions that might aid in your endeavor.  I'm unsure of what exactly you're trying to do but this might help point you in the right direction.  I'm currently having issues getting some aerial imagery (my background) into adobe illustrator from the .eps format!

• 8. Re: Export multiple rasters onto individual ai layers--possible?
                        DOT Cartographer Level 1

This is a great file!  (Apologies for the delay; I've been on vacation).  Not sure yet if it will solve our current issue, but what a wonderful cross-section of info; this will definitely come in handy.  Thank you!

Marianne

PS-Would you send me more detailed info on your imagery issue?  I may know someone who can help.