10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2009 5:23 AM by Steve Grisetti

Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD

SnpShot427

I'm burning my rendering to DVD+R and all the motion is giving me flickering.  the originals have no flicker and the video previews on the computer dont show any flickering.  All audio is seemless and clear.  Premier elements 4.  haven't used it in about 2 years. Any help on this?

• 1. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's probably related to your source footage. If, for instance, you use an MPEG as your source files but don't use the proper project preset (i.e., DVD and Hard Drive camcorder), the interlacing will contradict and you'll get jiggling.

What type of camcorder did you get your video from and how did you get it into your project?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
            SnpShot427 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I did have an issue uploading into the project, so i thought, so I copied from my camcorder discs (sony-Mini DVD-R) to my hard drive and then pulled those copies into the project.  So you think that could be the problem?  I didn't go directly form the discs to the project?  I know it was a weird way to do it, but i thought I was having a problem the other way, which I re-thought later that I wasn't, but didn't re-do the upload.  Hmmm.

• 3. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
              Barb__O Level 4

SnpShot427, I think that part of Steve's question was missed

the proper project preset (i.e., DVD and Hard Drive camcorder),

What project preset did you use for the Premiere Elements project ?

• 4. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
                SnpShot427 Level 1

Hi Barb,

I'm not sure what is meant by "Project Preset".

Also, Do you think my burner has possibly gone south?

thanks

• 5. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one chooses Project New, there are settings that need to be chosen. Those are the Project Presets. Which one did you choose?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD

I think Hunt and I are going at the same very likely issue.

You need to use a DVD/Hard Drive project preset when you're working with DVD files or you'lll get interlacing problems.

Go to New Project and, on the New Project option screen, click on the Settings button to select the project's preset.

• 7. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
                      SnpShot427 Level 1

I've got more information.  I used a sony handycam, with mini dvd-r discs.  i just shot it how i have in the past, not knowing that i've done anythign different, but later found that i might have shot it with a "slow shutter"  I imported it with the DV NTSC setting and used the DV setting to share to disc.  it was for sure the interlacing the problem, because i exported .avi and marked it "deinterlace" and it came out fine, although i had to get a program to covert avi to my dvd burner.  and i also lost the DVD start menu that i created in abobe.  Is there any other way to fix the interlacing problem using my discs and uploading them to avoid the export.avi/deinterlace ordeal?

thanks,

Jo Lynn

• 8. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
                        Barb__O Level 4

SnpShot427 wrote:

I've got more information.  I used a sony handycam, with mini dvd-r discs.  i just shot it how i have in the past, not knowing that i've done anythign different, but later found that i might have shot it with a "slow shutter"  I imported it with the DV NTSC setting and used the DV setting to share to disc.  it was for sure the interlacing the problem, because i exported .avi and marked it "deinterlace" and it came out fine, although i had to get a program to covert avi to my dvd burner.  and i also lost the DVD start menu that i created in abobe.  Is there any other way to fix the interlacing problem using my discs and uploading them to avoid the export.avi/deinterlace ordeal?

thanks,

Jo Lynn

I think that Steve's prior post answers your question of how to fix (avoid) your problem.

You need to use a DVD/Hard Drive project preset when you're working with DVD files or you'lll get interlacing problems.

Go to New Project and, on the New Project option screen, click on the Settings button to select the project's preset.

• 9. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD
                          SnpShot427 Level 1

Hello,

If you can view the attached pdf, this is the screen i see for my settings, and I don 't see the choice the way you are stating it, "DVD/Hard Drive" which is why I am confused.  can you let me know which of these I am supposed to choose?

Thanks,

• 10. Re: Burning to DVD; getting flicker on DVD

Have a look at the first tutorial in my "basic training" tutorial series for Muvipix. It explains how to choose the correct project preset as well as shows you the preset we're describing.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0