10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 1:51 PM by the_wine_snob

exporting text from video and reimporting after translation

bbuie1

We are building videos with the original in English but will be translated into a number of other languages.  I am looking for a way to:

1. export all of the titles into a single text file with meta tags for each piece of text

2.  they will then be translated into another language

3.  import them back into the movie so that now the translated text appears in the same position, same time stamps, (and hopefully transition effects) as the orginial English.

My export title option is greyed out and I have not been able to find instuctions for this.  Any help is highly appreciated.

- BB

• 1. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Not possible. Multiple language subtitles are better done in Encore.

• 2. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
            Powered by Design Level 4

Could they do that somehow with Photoshop ?

Create all their titles in photoshop with different layers for each language ?

Not exactly sure maybe someone else could give advice.

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 3. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And in addition to Harm's suggestion on using the full Subtitle function in Encore, one will want to do their Subtitles in an appropriate Subtitle text editor for Import into Encore. It will then allow you place each Subtitle file on a separate Track (selectable by user) in the Encore Timeline. There are many Subtitle experts in the Encore forum, who can help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glenn,

One could create the "subtitles" in PS as Lower-thirds, and the use of different Layers would be a good way to do it. The limitation of this approach would be that one would have to Export (choosing the appropriate Layer per language), and then do a separate Export for each language. Also, these subtitle (note no caps) would be burned into the Video, and not selectable. If one wanted a single Video for Spanish, one for English, one for French, etc., this would work fine. Encore allows for real Subtitles (note initial cap), that are user selectable on the DVD-Video.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                  bbuie1 Level 1

Thanks for all the replies.  However, it sounds as if we are still stuck

with the old fashion way of manual change.  I will dabble with Encore a bit

and see if something will work.  It seems (in theory) that it would be a

pretty simply export/import project as long as the proper string ID's were

there but I'm guessing there is not enough demand.

• 6. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                    Powered by Design Level 4

I didnt think they wanted sub-titles.

#3 said they wanted effects to be applied too.

wouldnt they need a different video for each if that was the case ?

GLenn

• 7. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Glenn,

I don't think the OP meant to have multiple layers of text overlayed with different language versions, making the whole unreadable. I think he meant to have the effects and transitions to remain intact from his original editing, but be able to have different languages show subtitles in let's say German, French, Italian, English etcetera with the same time codes to start and disappear again, without affecting his effects or transitions.

That is almost impossible to achieve because a single sentence in English, which fits within x seconds, can not be fitted in the same x seconds in French or Italian, because the sentence is much longer or shorter, depending on the content, context and the language.

This is destined to be manual labour, but best done in Encore.

• 8. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glenn,

I'm really not sure. Many people have different ideas of what constitutes a subtitle, or a Subtitle.

Wanting to extract the text from an existing Title (let's just assume that it's a Lower-Third), and maintaining all Styles, etc. will be difficult at best. The Titles in PrPro are saved (when one does a manual Save of the Titles) as a .PRTL file. These, unfortunately, cannot be Opened, or Imported to any program, that I know of, except into PrPro.

Knowing the exact desired mechanics from the OP would be helpful. Maybe there is a simple solution, or maybe no solution at all.

For either real Subtitles, or Closed Captions (similar, but different), I use Encore, create the special text files in a Subtitle creation program, and then Import them as Subtitles. Now, these are real, pure Subtitles, and there are no Styles, or Effects - just pure, clean text characters, displayed in the normal lower screen location.

To the OP, good luck, and please let us know a little more about exactly what you have and what you'd like to end up with.

Hunt

• 9. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                          bbuie1 Level 1

Harm is partially correct when he says that this is destined to be manual labor - but it does not have to be so painstaking. A lot of the manual part could be taken out and that is what I am trying to find as a solution.

In response to one of the posts that questions whether a new video would have to be saved, the answer is yes - but that is the simple part, just rename it and save.  Now, instead of having to go through and manually delete the English text and add, say the Romanian, Arabic, or Mandarin, I was looking for a way that would automatically import and position the new text.  Yes, there is going to have to be some adjusting according to length to match any audio, etc., but this would be a much faster part of the manual process.

It seems as simple as an export that would gather all of the titles and subtitles into one text files and put the string ID's next to each:  time stamps, position, effect, font variables, and finally "text, etc., etc.."  We have already built tools that would further add string ID's for our translators, which would then replace the English with the new language and change the font variables.  With the rest remaining the same, the program should reimport it.  It would make a great third party plugin if somebody wants to build it - I'll buy it!  

• 10. Re: exporting text from video and reimporting after translation
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, the only Export function on the Titles in PrPro is the Save function mentioned, that will basically create a .PRTL file in one's Docs & Settings for use as a Template for Titles. That .PRTL format is unique to PrPro only. Even PS-Extended cannot Import/Open it - only PrPro as a Title Template.

If you DO find a utility to do what you want, please post it, as many have been looking for some way to work with .PRTL's, myself included.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - in Premiere (pre Pro), one did the Save for a Title as a graphics file (PSD, TIFF?), but since Pro, the links to Titles are in the XML of the Project file and the only alternative when Saving a Title is that .PRTL.