9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 11:52 AM by the_wine_snob

artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed

Level 4

Hi

I had this weird stuff going on:

Starting a new project in premiere cs3, I would (for example) click on 'custom' / editing mode: choose desktop, and the drop down menu would get left behind on the panel as an artefact...like pieces of garbage from the drop down menu would get left behind on parts of the panel after I made my choice.

When it first happened I couldn't do anything to get rid of the garbage, and it would clutter up the menus....

Eventually I went to edit/preference/media and clicked "clean".... and that helped a lot ...

I still get some garbage, but if I roll over it with my mouse or choose another drop down menu the garbage goes away.  And I don't get as much garbage as I got before.

Anyone ever hear of this sort of thing before?  I searched on internet and found nothing about this kind of problem.  Are these menu choices being read by the program in some new way that uses code that might be affected by my video card settings (like openGL or something?) ??

I've made drop down menus in javascript and that can certainly be influenced by various platform settings...so I'm wondering what could cause this ?

Rod

• 1. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

That is almost certainly a video display issue. I've not seen it, but when the GUI goes wonky (highly technical computer term ), it's almost always the display. Could be a smurfed (more technical jargon) video driver, too much/too little Hardware Acceleration, an OpenGL setting problem, or maybe, as strange as it might sound, a MS InteliPoint mouse driver. Yes, those have caused all sorts of display issues, though not what you describe. If you have InteliPoint, I would replace it with the generic mouse driver and test. It seems that about every fifth InteliPoint issue, something goes wrong. It gets fixed, then all is well for another four releases, and it's back to the generic, until fixed, or one rolls back to previous known good one.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - simple things like OS hot-fixes, and updates will kill video drivers in a heartbeat.

• 2. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
            Level 4

Yep, it was video driver related, new settings via a driver update that was done a while ago, in turn influenced by a monitor driver update done recently. The monitor driver included a nifty program to adjust color, gamma, brightness contrast and in general do everything possible to calibrate the monitor, serve tea and give me a massage.

I think I now have a dozen programs that routinely communicate through the internet to constantly update me and install more cookies than Keebler has in it's warehouses.

Here's a good one.... I recently worked on my mom's computer to fix a hard drive problem (vista 64, gateway ). She is like 84 years old and learning how to use the computer.  So Windows somehow installs this program called "advantage" or something, and all of a sudden she is seeing all kinds of messages about MS wanting to check her OS version and Office Works programs to make sure they are properly registered versions which will keep her computer safe.  And this right when she wants to check her email and now she is calling me because she is alarmed that something is wrong with her computer !  Microsoft advantage.  Right.  More cookies !

I digress....

Rod

• 3. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Rod,

Glad that you got the display issue handled. There are all sorts of things that can break a video (or audio) driver. The one that I see most often are the MS OS updates and hot-fixes. Many users have these set to download and install automatically, so the user never even knows that they have been installed. One day, everything works. The next day, the display, or the audio, are messed up, if they work at all. The user, when asked "what changed?" has no clue. The answer is almost always, "nothing." What they really mean is "nothing that I know of."

I'd been doing very well with my nVidia Quadro on the workstation. I do not just run out and get the latest drivers, until something does not work anymore. I manually downloaded and installed several XP security updates and hot-fixes. Suddenly, PS has display issues. New nVidia driver got me going again in moments. I'll keep that one, until I hit another problem, especially as nVidia had a few drivers that did not work with Adobe programs. Things seem to be fixed now, but I subscribe to the school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Good luck, and yes, Microsoft Advantage can get very bothersome. I hate all that "messaging" crap, with the endless pop-ups and such. I have one pop-up blocker, StopZilla, that is set to manually do updates, like everything else on the laptop. However, it will give me bothersome pop-up, if there's a new update available. Hey, it's a bloody pop-up BLOCKER, why all the pop-ups from it?

Also, it used to be that QT Player, when set on automatic update, would install itself, then hook every known file format to QT Player. When one had it set to manual, if they did update it, it would set itself to automatic updates and also hook every file format. Now, it seems that when one does update, they have the option of letting QT Player have the formats, and it will also honor the user's setting on automatic updates. An improvement, IMHO.

Hunt

• 4. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                Level 4

Hi

Thanks for the reference to FAQ about DVD stuff. Not much about codecs there but I think I have enough data ( book is getting near full and I've not printed out half the Premiere help files yet...) to navigate through most of the fundamental facts.  I just need to get to the point where it's in my head all the time, instead of having to look for answers..  That is coming with just using the program and reading the forum mssgs and referring to notes and internet searches.  Slowly coming along.

The dreaded driver issue....I finally got it so Premiere wasn't leaving artefacts (part of that problem was the physX being enabled, which it wasn't before, so who knows how that happened)  Disabling it seems to be more than half my problem solved re: Premiere weirdness.

Then, right after notifying you here at the forum that all was peachy, I went to the tutorials to do another lesson. The lesson is a MOV file.  And it wouldn't play !  Well, it played but it would just freeze on the first frame and give me some flickering ghost-like flash-card-like glimpses of changes happening...from the soundtrack I know the teacher was choosing menu items, but I couldn't see that happening.  Geez...back to the drawing board!

Re-installing Quicktime stuff fixed it, but that was not so easy because I was using the free Quicktime alternative program.  Basically a specific version of that program installed the h264 codec ( an old version, where the copyright was OK to share that codec ? )...Then, after installing that version you were able to update the Quicktime Alternative program version to a newer one...which includes the "media player classic" player...which is what I've been using to view the tutorials...

So this just turned into another uninstall and reinstall and update and so on....

This sorta reminds me of years ago  (like about 9 years ago? 10 ? ) and I was into playing some multiplayer games with a select group of people I met somehow on line.   One guy in Vegas, another in Wales, another in Delaware, etc etc.  Everyone with slightly different internet connections and platforms.  We built computers and helped one another do it, as our combined efforts at benchmarking and researching came up with some decent solutions to play what was beyond the scope of internet ability at the time.  You could say that through the years there has been a leap frog evolution ...and we were frogs.  First the hardware is good and fast. Then the software catches up to the hardware and surpasses it, Then the hardware has to catch up to the software, then the hardware surpasses it, and on and on..  That is still going on.  Right now I find it totally unreal that I can buy a gigabyte for $26.  And a dual core Intel (not AMD - remember those arguments? like pc and mac arguments ) 3 ghz cpu for $100.   Know what I mean?

And as the hardware zooms along, the software will have to catch up once again...

Anyway, I think I have the machine working well again.  Now back to the tutorial....

Rod

• 5. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Re-installing Quicktime stuff fixed it, but that was not so easy because I was using the free Quicktime alternative program.  Basically a specific version of that program installed the h264 codec ( an old version, where the copyright was OK to share that codec ? )...Then, after installing that version you were able to update the Quicktime Alternative program version to a newer one...which includes the "media player classic" player...which is what I've been using to view the tutorials...

A couple of comments here. The QT Player Pro (US$30 upgrade/unlock) will allow one to Export a MOV to DV-AVI, which will both edit and play fine.

I've never used the QuickTime Alternative, but some conversion programs require it.

There is a new MediaPlayer Classic. I think that it's the "HC" (HomeCinema) version. I've been using it for some time now and it's been great.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for more discussion on CODEC's from Jim Taylor, you'll love his book, DVD Demystified, McGraw Hill.

• 6. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                    Level 4

Hi

I'm back online on the newer computer...with firefox version 2 ....less is more !

Everything seems to be working well.  I can run the tutorials again...and got the newer classic player so will use that instead of quicktime

Yes, I got the quicktime alternative for the codec and because that codec was needed by some conversion programs.

As I get into this more I'm going to start getting rid of some of the conversion programs...even though I bought the ones that aren't freeware...

I just don't know yet which programs I am most likely to use in the long term...so I have a zillion little programs right now.

Like you said something about prism, so of course I had to get it !

Made a note about the book on codecs.

When you render a clip on the timeline, what is it doing exactly ???  is it using a codec to render ??

Thanks...

Rod

• 7. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      When you render a clip on the timeline, what is it doing exactly ???  is it using a codec to render ??

Render is creating viewing files, based on your Project Preset, for playback only. CS4 does offer the option to use Render files for Export, but you will need to check this out completely, as things have changed a bit. For me, I only Render when I have, say a Keyframed Effect, that I must see perfectly There are some very recent threads on when to Render, how to Render, and why one would Render. The comments in those holds true. It is basically about smooth playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                        Level 4

Hi...

That pdf I referred to ...by that company, something and Snell ???,  that gave a brief illustration and explanation of mpeg codec (codecs in general to some extent)...plus this help file info, plus what you just said above....

Help file from Premiere info:

-------------------------------

Set display quality

You can reduce the resolution of the Source or Program Monitors to decrease the processing demands on your computer. Reducing the quality setting of the Program Monitor may allow your system to create realtime previews of parts of the sequence that would otherwise require rendering.

In the Source or Program Monitor panel menu, choose a quality setting:
                        Highest Quality Displays video in the monitor at full resolution.

Draft Quality Displays video in the monitor at one half resolution.

Automatic Quality Measures playback performance and dynamically adjusts quality.

Note: All quality settings use a bilinear pixel resampling method to resize the video image. For exporting a sequence, a cubic resampling method (which is superior to bilinear) is used.

-----------------------------------

So rendering has nothing to do with the codec, which once the data enters the encoding stage would then be (on the other end) DE-coded...

This Premiere based cubic resampling is just like resampling photoshop images and is independent of actually being "saved" as any particular format...Or in this case "codec".

I kinda understand this a bit, but it is a little misleading to LOOK AT the source or program monitor image and try to visualize what the final image will look like after export (encoding).

I guess that's where "experience" comes in ...   Heh...

Rod

• 9. Re: artefacts in 'new project' menus fixed
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          I guess that's where "experience" comes in .

Yes, and about the only way to get that experience is to test. Fortunately for me, 99% of my Projects go to DVD-Video, so I do not have to learn many other Export schemes and settings. When I need something new, it's time to test, to read (or post to) the forum, and learn. That is why I always defer to others, when the question is YouTube (or similar) Export. Same for some other schemes. I just do not do it - yet.

Good luck,

Hunt