24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 10:48 AM by the_wine_snob

Weird speed acceleration

DonAndress Level 1

Hello.

I had many problems with my previous system stability and decided to reinstal.

So right now I have only:

WinXP SP3

drivers for every hardware installed

codec Lagarith

codec Huffyuv

codec Xvid

Premiere 1.5

SubEdit Player for movie playback

Nothing else.

Problem is that Premiere exports to Huffyuv clips longer then about 3min with speed accelerated about 2 or 3 times (only video, audio plays ok). When I make the export part shorter, about 1min, then it's perfectly ok. The same situation accured before and after the system reinstallation. Every clip on the timeline has the speed/duration option set at 100% for the speed.

What's wrong? Why can't it export with normal speed all my material?

• 1. Re: Weird speed acceleration
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

XviD will cause problems with Premiere Pro 1.5.  I would start troubleshooting by completely uninstalling XviD and trying again.

BTW, the current version of Lagarith is a much better codec than HuffYUV.  I don't really use HuffYUV for anything any more.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Weird speed acceleration
            DonAndress Level 1

Ok, I will try removing Xvid codec and let know.

I would also like to point out that I have every codec up to date.

Regarding the Lagarith codec.

It may be as well due to XviD existance but each time I try to export clip to Lagarith I get huge flashing red artifacts. The speed is fine though.

Maybe I'll ask right now: what do you think about Russian MSU lossless codec and Japanese UT Video codec, also lossless?

Because I'm having troubles with codec in general (besides the system being completely clean) I started thinking about alternatives. Are they worth the trouble?

• 3. Re: Weird speed acceleration
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

What is your source footage?

Personally, I have both the Xvid and DivX CODEC's on my computers with no issues. I use Lagarith often, and it works perfectly for me. I only use the DivX/Xvid CODEC's for conversion of that heavily-compressed material (not a pretty sight), and for Export, should one need a highly-compressed streaming delivery.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                DonAndress Level 1

The source is DV but also still images and titles created in Premiere.

I would like to export to some lossless codec and then convert to MPEG2 and XviD from that lossless.

• 5. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

Thanks. Why Export to a lossless first, unless you are taking the material into maybe AE, or similar, and then convert to Xvid? I can Export directly to DivX (commercial version of the open source Xvid) directly from PrPro. Same for MPEG-2, though some do favor MPEG-2 encoders that are stand-alones, and there the lossless would be good source material, so long as your stand-alone encoder will work with that particular CODEC. That might differ program to program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                    DonAndress Level 1

Hunt,

I would like to export to lossless codec because that way I don't loose the quality of titles and stills. DV, as we established in a different thread, makes "stairs" from titles. I need to compress to MPEG2 because then I need to author and put it on a DVD. Xvid version is just for me. And because for both mentioned compressions I use third party software, I need a movie in a format I can use. I don't even know if I can use 2-pass XviD compression in Premiere. Also third party CCE codec for MPEG2 is just magnificent. I'm not saying Premiere's is not, I just have it tested for myself.

Jeff,

I tried removing XviD completely and it does not help with Huffyuv, still accelerated.

Also Lagarith still gives artifacts.

• 7. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                      I tried removing XviD completely and it does not help with Huffyuv, still accelerated.  Also Lagarith still gives artifacts.

Did you render your Premiere timeline at any point while editing?  If so, try deleting your rendered previews.  If they were created under the influence of XviD, then they may still be affecting your export.  IIRC, that version of Premiere used your render files as the source for export unless you exported via the Adobe Media Encoder.

What version of Lagarith?  I used to get artifacts (green, mostly) with early versions, but certainly 1.3.20 is clean.

I've tried UT recently, and have gotten good results.  My issues center around crashes in AviSynth with MT, not with UT's output quality.  I don't fully trust it yet (version 7.02), but I think it's worth trying because it's so darn fast!

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                        DonAndress Level 1

I deleted all rendered files, as you suggested, and let Premiere do its job.

Unfortunatelly no change.

I have only the latest versions of codecs - Lagarith 1.3.20, Huffyuv 2.1.1.

And I get red artifacts

I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with Premiere. I tried encoding the same source clip in VirtualDub, not Premiere, using Lagarith and it went great.

Another solution for that might be using DebugMode FrameServer.

Anyone knows how exaclty? I mean step by step...

• 9. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Another solution for that might be using DebugMode FrameServer. Anyone knows how exaclty? I mean step by step...

Back in CS3, Jeff Bellune did a tutorial on DebugMode FrameServer for use with Encore. I'll see if I can find a link. I'd imagine that Jeff will beat me to it, but it IS his tutorial. Also, this was for PrPro to Encore, but you might be able to adapt the steps easily.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Weird speed acceleration

Here's the link for my tutorial over at the COW:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/bellune_jeff/DFS_Pr2En.php

It gets into the nuts and bolts of the DFS, so it should help you out.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Thank you. I had it bookmarked from the Adobe forum, but those links are all now dead.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                DonAndress Level 1

Jeff,

thank you for this great tutorial. But I have a problem at this point too... In the first section [General/File Type] I don't have DebugMode FrameServer. The only thing connected with this software is [Video/Compressor] DebugMode FSVFWC (internal use). But that produces finished file (not frameserving) with no video at all and full audio. VirtualDub doesn't seem to recognize DebugMode FrameServer either, only DebugMode FSVFWC (internal use).

Am I doing something wrong?

• 13. Re: Weird speed acceleration

During the installation of DFS, what folder did you select as the place to install the plug-in?

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                    DonAndress Level 1

I didn't "touch" anything. I just checked Premiere box and left everything else default.

• 15. Re: Weird speed acceleration

Reinstall.  This time, when the installer asks you where to install the plug-in, give it the location of your Premiere Pro plug-ins folder.

-Jeff

• 16. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                        DonAndress Level 1

So I did.

DFS found the right path itself but I pointed it anyway and it's [...]/plug-ins/en-us/

Didn't help...

I tried to install into [...]/plug-ins/ - nothing.

I even tried to install the whole program in the plug-ins directory and nothing. Of course each time I restarted Premiere.

The software is still not recognized.

• 17. Re: Weird speed acceleration

DFS found the right path itself but I pointed it anyway and it's [...]/plug-ins/en-us/.  Didn't help...

That's weird.  Premiere Pro version 1.5, right?

Try looking at the Plugin Loading.log file in your user application data folder.  On your XP system, it'll be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<you>\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\1.5\Plugin Loading.log

I'm working from memory, and the name of the log file is the one that CS4 uses, so your log file may be named slightly different or in a slightly different location.

The log is a text file that you can examine to see if the plugin loaded or not.  Search the log file for the text string "dfsc".  It'll probably be near the end of the log if it's there at all.

-Jeff

• 18. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                            DonAndress Level 1

Yes, it is Premiere pro version 1.5.

I checked the loading log file and here is what I found that is ignored:

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\en_US\dfscPremiereOut.prm
                                            The plugin is marked as Ignore, so it will not be loaded.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\en_US\fscommon.dll
                                            Loading from disk...
                                            No loaders recognized this plugin, so the plugin is set to Ignore.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\en_US\ImageSequence.dll
                                            Loading from disk...
                                            No loaders recognized this plugin, so the plugin is set to Ignore.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\Common\AAF\MSVCP71.DLL

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\Common\AAF\MSVCR71.DLL

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\Common\AAF\python23.dll

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\Common\AAF\xerces-c_2_4_0.dll

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Pro 1.5\Plug-ins\Common\AAF\DLLs\expat.dll

So clearly I have it ignored.

How can I change it?

Is there any way to make the loader load it?

• 19. Re: Weird speed acceleration

I don't know of an exact method to force-load the plug-in.  In order, here is what I would try:

1. Uninstall the plug-in.  Launch Premiere and load a project.  Make changes to the project and undo them.  Save the project and exit Premiere.  Install the plug-in.  Launch Premiere and see if the plug-in becomes available.
                                              2. Create a temporary new user account with administrator privileges and launch Premiere from the new account.  See if the plug-in becomes available.  If so, trash the app data folder in your current account.  The whole 1.5 folder where you found the plugin loading log.

-Jeff

• 20. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                                DonAndress Level 1

Jeff,

many thanks for helping me. Unfortunately both suggestions did not help resolving my problem.

Can you think of any other?

• 21. Re: Weird speed acceleration

You have 3 issues that are out of the ordinary, to the point that I don't recall seeing them before.  Ever.

1. HuffYUV speeds up on export.
                                                  2. Lagarith 1.3.20 has random red frames on export.
                                                  3. The Debugmode Frameserver installs, but is ignored by Premiere.

Any one of these, by themselves, might be worth troubleshooting further.  However, all 3 of them together likely mean that much is corrupted either in your Windows installation, your Premiere Pro installation, or both.

CS3 and CS4 have clean scripts that can be run to wipe out any corruption in Adobe programs.  No such script exists for 1.5.  The only thing left is to wipe your hard drive clean, reinstall Windows from scratch, and install Premiere Pro and/or the Production Studio.  Then install the DFS plug-in, and make sure it works.  Then install Lagarith and try exporting to Lagarith again.

-Jeff

EDIT: This is important.  Deactivate Premiere before wiping your drive.

• 22. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                                    DonAndress Level 1

Could you please explain what that means? I should uninstall it first?

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my Premiere. Before I reinstalled Windows I had XP SP2 (ok, it was very old installation) and there were the same problems with codecs. Now with clean installation of XP SP3 I see no improvement.

I guess I'm gonna have to start thinking of buying new hardware (my CPU does not support SSE2) and new licence of Premiere. Is it legal to buy a second hand CS3?

• 23. Re: Weird speed acceleration

DonAndress wrote:

Could you please explain what that means? I should uninstall it first?

It's possible that Premiere Pro 1.5 didn't use Adobe's activation/deactivation licensing scheme.  If your Help menu doesn't have a "Deactivate" item, then don't worry about it.

-Jeff

• 24. Re: Weird speed acceleration
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Activation of many Adobe programs came in as of the CS versions. Now, I do not know if it was part of PrPro, before PrPro 2.0. From a shear timing standpoint, I would have expected it to be part of the process, as of PrPro 1.0, but that is just speculation on my part, and is based on PS, AI, InDesign, etc.

Hunt