5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 2:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Foolish, Foolish Me

Camera.Ken

Hi All:

I'm a guy who has used PCs for a very long time.  My current desktop machine is 9 months old, ASUS P6T, Intel i7-920, 6 GB of memory, several TB of available HDD,  ATI Radeon 4670 video card with latest driver. Windows 7 64-bit, with all updates.

I'm using the trial version, but when the box with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 arrives, it is going back to the retailer immediately.

I've been appalled by how slow it is to start up, and how slow to go through its menus to find transitions, text effects and so on. It is really quite unbelievable.

It has frozen twice.  An expensive application, from a major-league vendor, on a pretty commonplace platform -- it should just run.

I imported a video clip, trimmed it, previewed it, and "shared it" to PC video -- the final result was a trimmed clip all right, except that it neither started nor stopped where I set it to start and stop.

Text effects do not seem to work properly -- sometimes I can "apply" the effect after inputting the text, and sometimes I can't.

I hesitate to go any further, I've wasted enough time.

Foolish me to purchase before spending a few hours discovering this.

• 1. Re: Foolish, Foolish Me
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

When you say,

Text effects do not seem to work properly -- sometimes I can "apply" the effect after inputting the text, and sometimes I can't.

Do you mean apply Styles to text in the Titler? If so, did you Select the Text Block, to which you wished to apply the Style?

When you say,

I imported a video clip, trimmed it, previewed it, and "shared it" to PC video -- the final result was a trimmed clip all right, except that it neither started nor stopped where I set it to start and stop.

What are the details of your source AV files? If you're not sure, you can use the freeware utility, G-Spot, to give you the full details. Some video formats/CODEC's, are not meant to be edited. Those are "delivery-only" formats. For SD (Standard Definition) Projects, DV-AVI Type II is the format and the MS DV CODEC, is the best possible choice.

Also, what Project Preset did you choose when you did New Project? This should match your source footage 100%.

Sorry that the trial is not working well for you,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Foolish, Foolish Me
            Camera.Ken Level 1

Hi Hunt:

Thanks for your response.

Let's start with the type of video file.  It is a VOB from a DVD.  It edited fine in Nero 7.

I am rather astonished to learn that this application works poorly unless the video source is a tape device, and is from a limited number of formats, and that you and others on this forum recommend format converters to many with video problems.  This is especially true when the APE8 System requirements page at Adobe.com reads this:  "supported import/export formats include:  ... DVD ... ", among about 24 formats, some audio. I do note that import/export of some formats, including DVD, may require activation or download.

Can you tell me, or where do I look, to find out if I can, or how I can, download these extra features?

As to the text features:

Well, I just had another crash when trying to reproduce the problem.

And here's something else on APE8 startup -- it failed to start.  Here's the sequence:    Start / Welcome / Open Project / select existing project from list / software setup / use on trial basis /next / grey screen (persists until project opened manually from  "file / open recent project").

Back to text:

I want to put some text on a photo, used as a title slide following or preceding a video clip.  "Add default text / text animation"   Sometimes, after the text has been entered, and the text animation style selected, the "Apply" button is greyed out.  This is not reproducible.

Onwards to a still image slide:  selecting the image, then "properties" brings up a menu that includes "Motion".  No selection here seems to apply any "motion" effect to the image -- just bigger, smaller, or rotate.  I am envisioning some sort of "Ken Burns" effect.

• 3. Re: Foolish, Foolish Me
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I am rather astonished to learn that this application works poorly unless the video source is a tape device, and is from a limited number of formats, and that you and others on this forum recommend format converters to many with video problems.  This is especially true when the APE8 System requirements page at Adobe.com reads this:  "supported import/export formats include:  ... DVD ... ", among about 24 formats, some audio. I do note that import/export of some formats, including DVD, may require activation or download.

Actually, I picked up PrE (4 in my case), because it could handle more file formats and CODEC's, than could its "big-brother," PrPro. Since you have the trial version right now, I'm not positive on what is included, or excluded in it. In the trial for PrPro, one gets NOTHING related to anything MPEG. In PrE's trial, I thought that the only limitations were the time limit and the watermarking of the Projects. [There is a FAQ entry, accessible from the FAQ sub-forum, linked on the right-hand side of the main PrE forum page on removing that watermark, when the full version is installed.]

As for VOB's, PrE has had that capability for several generations. Now, one can get into problems, if the VOB's are not 100% DVD-compatible. This ARTICLE will give you some more background on VOB's, and how they can be problematic.

Since I do not have PrE 8, I'll let others give you tips on getting it to work properly. There are some good FAQ entries on aspects of PrE in general, and PrE 8 specifically. Also, there are some good tips on getting the most out of the program and one's computer, in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, also accessed from the area to the right-hand of the main screen.

One comment on Titler crashing - this is so very often related to a corrupt, or otherwise bad font. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on fonts.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Foolish, Foolish Me
                Camera.Ken Level 1

Hi Hunt:

I really do appreciate your efforts, but I think I'll stick to my plan.  When the retail box arrives, it's going right back to the vendor.

Thanks

Ken

• 5. Re: Foolish, Foolish Me
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ken,

You're most welcome. It does seem that PrE 8 is not working well for too many folk. Not sure what Adobe's solution will be, but we understand.

Good luck with your choice of NLE.

Hunt