1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 1:47 PM by Scott Falkner

destructive rasterization when applying PS filters in IL?

Shenzi1 Level 1

hi everyone

here's my problem. afaik when one applies a photoshop filter to a vector image, the process is destructive. the image is rasterized and then the effect is applied.

when i want to vectorise it again i do a live trace [with the most demanding settings], and naturally lose some of the definition, it doesnt look as good as it did as a raster.

my question is, how can i provide maximum fidelity when destructively applying ps filters to paths? - would rasterizing very large vector images help?

on another note, apart from downloading svg filters [i'm about to post another thread on that] - is there any other way of adding IL or PS filters to illustrator? i really like the creative possibilities and always feel like having more would be wonderful.

thanks all

-s

• 1. Re: destructive rasterization when applying PS filters in IL?
          Scott Falkner Level 5

Any raster effect applied using the Effects menu is non-destructive and preserves the original vector art. You can see this when you switch to Outline view of if you select the artwork — the paths with be highlighted. If you are applying the effects through the Filter menu (Version < 14), then the result is rasterized. You can protect yourself from this by either using the Effect menu or preserving a copy of the original vector art on a hidden layer.