6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 8:42 AM by lsiitari

Looking for stock 3D models

DC B. 09 Level 1

Hi everyone:

I don't know much about 3D models so I might be formulating my question incorrectly (for which I apologize). I'm looking for a wireframe (mesh) only 3D models (RPF or RLA files), and I was wondering if they are provided somewhere as basic/stock 3D files?

Here's an example of what I'm looking for (as a 2D screenshot):

http://www.ivansanchez.com/blog/sentinel/zetaplusa.jpg

http://www.foro3d.com/tutoriales/blender/blender-art-magazine-3d/blender-art-magazine-11/N urbs-Cad_files/File_048.jpg

I need it for some (semi transparent) effect of a 3D object rotating in the background that will be largely zoomed in so I'm not very picky what that object will be.

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
          thowle

Den,

If you aren't picky on what it is, as it will be zoomed in quite far -- you can just make another composition of a wireframe globe, or anything with the find edges effect, with others, and then scale it up, make it 3d, render in master composition, and fly around it.

Or proxy to it, render it out with camera in that composition and then drag the rendered footage into the master composition.

This might save you some money on buying a model.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes. There are many websites and companies that provide stock 3D models. I have used and liked TurboSquid.

Keep in mind that After Effects doesn't import 3D models except as 3D object layers in PSD files.

See this section for information about how After Effects works with various kinds of data from different 3D applications.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
              DC B. 09 Level 1

That might be a good idea, Travis. I didn't think about it. Thanks! As for Todd's links, that looks really impressive but unfortunately way over my budget... I don't know, maybe you guys can suggest some other way how I can implement this (since some 3D models may be even not supported by AE)?

Here's what I'm doing. I have this scene where I will have some scrolling text being displayed on a dark background for 8-10 seconds and I thought to have a 3D wireframe object to fly around in 3D space on the background... Probably rotating around it's axis, being zoomed in and through. So I don't know if I can do the same with 2D objects in 3D space?

• 4. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
                thowle Level 1

What you could do is just make a 3d type globe that is see through and have it rotate and also show the land on the other side as it rotates, so it renders inside and outside of sphere.  Would give a cool 3D effect, and it could be as "simple" and wireframey as you wanted.

• 5. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

^ To elaborate on what Travis says, how about making a wireframe mesh on a solid using the Grid plugin, then apply that as a texture to CC Sphere.  The result will be a 3 dimensional mesh globe that you can rotate and zoom.

You could also make a 3D cube out of similar Grid-textured solids for similar purposes.

• 6. Re: Looking for stock 3D models
                    lsiitari

We've had excellent response and great (affordable!) custom models from Digital-X that we can import into Photoshop, apply our company labels and rotate, etc., as we desire. I don't usually plug a specific company, but I spent months trying to find a vendor who could help us with what seemed like rather simple models and was turned down, or simply ignored.