17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 7:30 AM by the_wine_snob

PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue

spanky_sinz

I've read (and tried to understand) the other forum topics and so far it doesn't seem that my problem has been answered as far as I can see so I hope I don't get flamed for reposting an old issue (I'm sorry in advance if I do).

I just installed my copy of Premiere Elements 8 on my spanking new system (only 2 weeks old, specs below), and I've shot some video to test out with the program. Other than the oh-so-seemingly common issues with starting failures and program crashes, I'm having a problem with my video in the program. I can play the video perfectly fine and it comes up and plays in the little seperate window in the program, but when I've dragged a clip into the timeline and attempt to the play the timeline, all of my video becomes jerky, as if a D.J. was scratching my video like a turntable (back-and-forth). It's extremely jerky.

I've fooled around with a few of the settings (at the least the ones I'm brave enough to change) and so far: no dice.

Video Clip Properties:

Type: .MPG

Size: 20 MB

Length: 16 seconds

Frame Width: 640

Frame Height: 480

Frame Rate: 30 frames/second

Audio: 32 kHz

System Specs:

Processor: Intel i7 3.20 GHz

RAM: 6 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M

Driver Version: 8.15.11.8647

I am using a simple camera, but I don't have it with me just this second, so I can't give the exact model. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In Advance,

Spanky

• 1. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Spanky,

Let's start with the Project and the source footage.

What Project Preset did you choose? This is done from New Project and should match your source footage 100%.

Now, what is your source footage, and how did you get it into PrE? If you're not positive about the specs. of your footage, the freeware utility, G-Spot, will tell you everything about it.

From that info, there might be a clear-cut solution.

Thanks for the info and good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
            spanky_sinz Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the advice. I'm using "NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz" and I've tried "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz".

I'm not completely certain as to what "source footage" is, however, assuming that you're referencing the video clip, I copied the footage straight from the camera into a seperate folder and then imported the media by clicking "Get Media" and then selecting "PC Files and Folders" from the subsequent options.

I ran G-Spot on one of my clips and it didn't seem to tell me anything specific as to what my source footage is.

I don't think I completely understand what you mean when you say "what is your source footage". Any further help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Spanky

*I also just noticed a tiny red "X" button at the bottom left of the window and upon clicking it, it says "Display performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver"... ummmmmm, uh oh?*

• 3. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Spanky,

This is a look at the G-Spot screen, and where to look. The main thing to check for will be the CODEC. The 32KHz Audio is puzzling, as I would have expected it to be 44.1KHz, or 48KHz. What camera produced the MPEG footage?

G-Spot Screen 01.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Also look at the PAR area in G-Spot to tell us what the Pixel Aspect Ratio is:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

• 4. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                *I also just noticed a tiny red "X" button at the bottom left of the window and upon clicking it, it says "Display performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver"... ummmmmm, uh oh?*

First thing that I would do is to go to your video card mfgr's. site and get the very latest video driver. That will likely help in that respect.

Next, and back to your Timeline. Is there a red line at the top? If so, press the Enter key to Render the footage. This will give you the best playback possible.

Red_line.jpg

Hope that these things help, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - this also shows the WAB (Work Area Bar), and it can be set to limit one's Rendering, or Export. Still, you can see the red line. When Rendered, you'll get a green line, like the other Clips in the screen-cap.

• 5. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                  spanky_sinz Level 1

There's nothing in the "Proposed Solutions and Tests" box and it says codec(s) are installed.

I've also checked with the the NVIDIA website and my driver seems to be up-to-date.

The line above the clip in the timeline is green.

I can play this clip by double-clicking the thumbnail under the "ORGANIZE" tab of the window, but it's jerky (without ANY editing; just drag, drop and play) when it's down in the timeline.

I'm cursed, aren't I?

• 6. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                    spanky_sinz Level 1

Alright, let me see if I can get this right. From top to bottom:

Codec: MPEG1

Name: MPEG-1

Maximum Consecutive B Frames: 0 max

Average and maximum keyframe (I-frame) distance: 1.0 avg / 0 max

Len: 0:38.366

Frms: 1,151

kbps: 9457

Qf: 1.026

Pics/s: 30.000

Frames/s: 30.000

Fields/s: (greyed out)

pic (w x: 640 x 480

seq ext: (greyed out)

sar: 1.333 (4:3)

par: 1.000 (1:1)

dar: 1.333 (4:3)

Also, I've tried adjusting more settings within the program and nothing seems to be changing the playback at all (for better or worse). It's all very strange to me. Of course, I'm completely new to PrE, so everything seems strange! Any help that you could offer would be awesome!!!

Thanks again!!!

• 7. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you've got MPEG-1 (not the ultimate footage, but should do better). It's 640x480 PAR=1.0 (Square Pixels), and is 30 fps. What is your Project Preset, the one that you chose, when you did Project New?

On the G-Spot screen, with one of the files loaded, at the lower-left there's a matrix of numbers: basically 3 x 3, numbered 1 - 3. The first two columns are Vid and Aud. Under Vid, you'll have button 1 highlighted. Click on it. Then, button 2 will highlight (to Render). Click on it. Watch the screen to the right and note any error messages there. If all goes well, click button 3, which will highlight, to play in the tiny G-Spot player. Does it work fine there? Do the same for Aud.

That you have a green line is good. I am surprised that you got that with MPEG-1 footage, without hitting Enter to Render first. I would have expected a red line, as you have GOP (Group of Pictures) material, where the full Frames are not present. PrE will internally convert most GOP material for editing, but smooth playback will not come, until one does a manual Render with the Enter key.

Let us know about how well G-Spot will Render the material and play it. Also, let us know about the Project Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                        spanky_sinz Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I've followed what you said and i'm posting the results below. The video played smooth and everything went fine. The audio however doesn't seem to be rendering (or some such thing) and it won't highlet the "3" button. I tried several different clips (all from the same camera and shoot) and the results seem to be the same.

Video Results:

Button "2"

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

Video Render: Ok. Use [3] to play.

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) Stream Parser ]>--(B)-->[MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x027de134 ("Src Media") on MOV00399.MPG to input pin 0x0fd3b0dc ("Input") on filter 0x047eb04a ("MainConcept (Adobe2) Stream Parser"). ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x080040265: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) Stream Parser ]>--(B)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x027de35c ("Src Media") on MOV00399.MPG to input pin 0x0fd3b244 ("Input") on filter 0x047eb04a ("MainConcept (Adobe2) Stream Parser"). ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x080040265: [unknown]

Audio Results:

Button "2"

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[ACM:MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x11e99c4 ("Audio (ID 192 @ Prog# 0") on MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer to input pin 0x0c426f24 ("Input") on filter 0x0455ca02 ("MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM") ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x80040200: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[MP3 Decoder DMO ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to create instance of MP3 Decoder DMO. CoCreateInstance() failed. Error:0x80040200: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Demultiplexer ]>--(B)-->[DMO:MP3 Decoder DMO ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to create instance of DMO MP3 Decoder DMO. CoCreateInstance() failed. Error:0x80040200: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[ACM:MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x0c424afc ("Audio") on MPEG-1 Stream Splitter to input pin 0x0c42700c ("Input") on filter 0x0455ca02 ("MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM") ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x80040200: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[MP3 Decoder DMO ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to create instance of MP3 Decoder DMO. CoCreateInstance() failed. Error:0x8004002: [unknown]

(Src0-->>--(A)-->[MPEG-1 Stream Splitter ]>--(B)-->[DMO:MP3 Decoder DMO ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Failed to create instance of DMO filter MP3 Decoder DMO. CoCreateInstance() failed. Error:0x8004002: [unknown]

Ok, so that may have taken me an hour to copy from my system, but I did it. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I see on my G-Spot window. My semi-technical mind can sort of understand what's going on here with trying the different decoders, etc. but (of course) I don't understand exactly what these things are doing. Does this explain what's going on to you a little bit better? I hope this greek makes more sense to you than it does to me!

I'll put the specs of my preset below, hopefully this is everything:

NTSC-DV-Standard 48kHz-

Description:

DV

Standard 48kHz

-For editing with IEEE1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) DV equipment.

-Standard NTSC video (4:3 interlaced).

-48kHz (16 bit) audio.

-Drop-Frame Timecode numbering.

General

Editing mode: DV NTSC

Timebase: 29.97fps

Video Settings

Frame size: 720h 480v (0.9091)

Frame rate: 29.97 frames/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Settings:

Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Timeline

Total Video tracks: 3

Master track type: stereo

Mono tracks: 0

Stereo tracks: 3

5.1 tracks: 0

(I think) This is the closest that comes to my footage. I haven't gotten ballsy enough to create my own preset, so I still have no idea what that entails. I'm just hoping some of this might ring a bell and somebody will say, "Hey! I know exactly how to fix that, Spanky!" And then I'll say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you!" And then die in bliss.

Okay, I'm becoming delusional. Thanks again, for your help, you rock!

Regards,

Spanky

• 9. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Spanky,

It could well be that the 32KHz Audio is an issue with G-Spot.

I'd look into converting, or ripping & replacing, that Audio with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                            spanky_sinz Level 1

Is there a way to convert the audio without having to rerecord?

Also, I'm not too worried about the audio, as it plays fine in PrE, it's the video I'm having trouble with. Any ideas on that?

Regards,

Spanky

• 11. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

For file conversions, I use the shareware DigitalMedia Converter, and convert all of my footage (SD) to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Many on this forum use a program, Prism, which is freeware, but I have not used it.

I convert all non-DV-AVI to that format, even if PrE/PrPro can handle the other formats internally. Everything is just better with zero problems.

For the Audio, one can use an audio-editing program, like Audacity, to rip the audio from the MPEG. Then, they would just Save as a PCM/WAV at 48KHz 16-bit. That will work perfectly in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                Barb__O Level 4

Also, I'm not too worried about the audio, as it plays fine in PrE, it's the video I'm having trouble with. Any ideas on that?

I am jumping in the middle of this discussion and the following comment seems like a long shot, but easy to try for the jerky playback -

Change the scrolling setting for the Timeline--

looking at the Premiere Elements 8 Help PDF topic

"Scroll the Timeline during preview"

try Page Scroll or No Scroll settings

• 13. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Barb,

Thanks for joining when you did. I had not considered that possibility. I guess that the concentration was focused too closely on the Assets.

Appreciated, and Happy New Year to you!

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                    spanky_sinz Level 1

Thank you both.

I've tried to change the Timeline scrolling to "No Scrolling" and "Page Scrolling", both to no avail. It didn't seem to have any effect.

I followed some advice on Adobe's support page about stuttering problems and attempted to interpret the footage (by right-clicking the file in the Project View and selecting Interpret Footage, changing the Framrate and trying all availble combinations of options). I tried this on several clips. On the first clip I attempted to play (a clip that used to stutter something aweful), it now plays with only two or three minor stutters (a 51 second clip) throughout. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the cause of the clip's sudden semi-recovery as I attempted this on several more clips, but they remained extremely stuttery.

Thanks for the pointer, Hunt, I will look into those converters. Do you think that converting my footage will fix the issue I'm having? Are there any other possible remedies to this problem that I'm having?

[EDIT] It appears that when I change the Field Option of my clips to Interlace Consecutive Frames, the stuttering is reduced significantly. There is still some stuttering there, but this makes my very PrE-newb mind think it has something to do with Interlacing (?)... I'll continue to muck around with it, if anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated![Edit]

Thanks again for you advice!

Spanky

• 15. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                      spanky_sinz Level 1

BINGO @#*!ing BANGO!

Hunt, I took your advice and looked into and downloaded the (free) Prism software. I converted my original .MPG file to a .avi file, imported it into PrE and drug it down to the timeline. After rendering it and playing it (with no other fiddling with settings), the playback went as smooth as butter.

So, at least now, I can get back to creating videos instead of pulling out my hair over the stuttering!

I would like to ask though, does anyone know if this will degrade the quality at all? I can't seem to notice anything so far in the playback from the timeline, but I'm pretty curious as to how converting it effects the quality of a video. I can't really make any judgements on this because the camera I'm using at the moment to capture my video is pretty crummy, so the quality is already in the gutter . Any inputs would be great.

Also, I don't think that the original problem has really been corrected. I am still interested in figuring out the cause of the stuttering I'm experiencing, if not just for science's sake, it would be nice to eliminate the conversion process from the video editing steps and to enlighten anyone else that may experience the same problems that I am experiencing.

In conclusion, if anyone has any inputs on the problem(s) in this thread, I'm still interested in hearing them. Thanks for all of your help!

[Edit] Also, the camera I am using to capture my video is a Sony Cyber-Shot model DSC-W130, to answer Hunt's question yesterday. [Edit]

Regards,

Spanky

• 16. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                        Barb__O Level 4

Sparky,

My expereince with Prism is limited - but it did convert for me a 640x480 30 fps cell phone video which Premiere Elements had trouble processing natively but could process after it was converted to DV-AVI with Prism. As you said the quality of that specific video is not great as it is. I don't have any reason to think that the conversion by Prism will degrade the existing quality.

In a way the original problem was corrected - or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the original problem was avoided - by giving Premiere Elements a DV-AVI file to process. 

Perhaps Premiere Elements (as a consumer product) should be more "tolerant" of different types of video, but pragmatic expereince says that it often is not. Yes, that can make me mad, because I do have short still camera video clips from family outings. However, at times I just accept that if I want to use Premiere Elements I will need to convert some types of video.

Hunt

You were correct that it is the"asset" - the video source.  Just a little misleading with the green line over the video on the timeline. However, I think that some video I had with a larger number of dropped frames and suspicious audio was also problematic until I converted with Prism.

• 17. Re: PE8 & Jerky Video (new?) Issue
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Spanky,

Glad that you got what you needed via Prism. I've not used it, but others sing its praises.

In general, when I'm handed any footage that is not NTSC DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio, my first action is to convert that footage to those specs. Then, I Import it into my NLE. I'm sure that there is some footage that might edit OK, but I have a set workflow that never fails, even if it means one more step. My conversion program does batch conversion, and will work with different input formats/CODEC's, so I just load it up, check my settings and my Destination Folder, and start it. After a cup of coffee, it's usually done (well, maybe 2 cups?). Then, I just do the Import and edit away.

As to exactly what was causing the problem with your footage, I'm just not sure. It could be something like a resource issue, as PrE has to basically convert the footage internally. It could be that it messes up that internal conversion. I just do not know.

Good luck,

Hunt