2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2009 10:34 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

What is faster for After Effects Editing, and 3D - Raid 0 or 5

thowle Level 1

Hi,

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 64-Bit on my machine, and I have a RocketRaid controller on the system -- currently it is not in any raid, just straight SATA to the board on one 7,200 RPM drive.

I'm thinking about RAID 0.  As, I'll make external backups regularly -- don't beleive redundancy of R5 is needed.

Any ideas?  What are the speed increases?  Is it worth it?

• 1. Re: What is faster for After Effects Editing, and 3D - Raid 0 or 5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any ideas?  What are the speed increases?  Is it worth it?

Technically: Anywhere from 5 to 30%. Practically: 0. For everyday work it really shouldn't matter. Our Avid Unity runs as RAID 5 and there's never been any issues. Of course these things scale with the number of actual drives - more is better. So for just 4 drives it's probably not worth the effort and you will lose some performance. In that case, creating two separate RAID 0 combos and mapping them as individual drives may be more useful.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: What is faster for After Effects Editing, and 3D - Raid 0 or 5
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Yar, disk access time is negligible when it comes to rendering.

Certain RAID configurations offer tremendous security, though.

Any shop that is in the buinsess of creating effects for external clients with material that cannot be eaisly replaced needs offsite redundancy and tight backup policies.

bogiesan