17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2009 7:02 PM by Kurt_777

Non-square to square....(looked everywhere!)

Kurt_777

Guys, I know this is an old question, and I did find a lot of discussions about the need to change non-square pixel widescreen PAL footage to square pixel for some uses, BUT, I still simply do not understand HOW to do it!

Here's the story so far: I've filmed some video in widescreen. I've captured that video in Premiere Elements 7 and it looks fine. It fills the 16:9 frame and looks normal. A nice widescreen scene in PAL.

Now, I want to take that shot and temporarily put it into an app called Particle Illusion, so that I can add some particle animations over the characters. But Particle Illusion will only accept dv footage as SQUARE pixels.

So, here I have this shot sitting as a widescreen shot in the Timeline in PE7, and I want to convert it, (temporarily), into a shot with square pixels.

What exactly do I have to do? What butttons do I click, what app do I use, what feature do I access..... to make this footage acceptable to an app that only accepts square pixels???????? How do I actually accomplish this thing??!!!!!

And how do I get it back afterwards, since once I've added the Particle Illusion effects, I want to be able to take that footage back to PE7 and re-insert it as a widescreen scene in my film.

Anyone who can explain this to me in words of less than four syllables will get a free ticket to Disneyland.

Well, I might have been exaggerating about the free tickets part...

BUT PLEASE, this seems like it should be soooo simple, but I just don't know where to start!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you...in advance....

Kurt.

• 1. Re: Non-square to square....(looked everywhere!)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's part the Share system, Kurt.

What video format Particle Illusion take?

If, for instance, it wants DV-AVI with square pixels, go to Share/Personal Computer/AVI. Then click the Advanced button.

In the Advanced Settings, you'll find the option to set video to square pixels and, since you want 16:9, set your dimensions to 855x480 pixels.

You'll even have the option of saving that as a preset so you won't have to go into the advanced settings next time.

See you in Tomorrowland!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Non-square to square....(looked everywhere!)
            Kurt_777 Level 1

Particle Illusion will only accept AVIs, Steve. And, of course, only with square pixels.

In PE7, I noticed the "Advanced" option is only available when you Share a clip as an Mpeg, but not when you want to Share it as a DV AVI.

So, I clicked on the Mpeg option and then the Advanced option and found the "square Pixels" setting. So then I was able to Share it as a square-pixel Mpeg2. 

Now, I still had to make it a square-pixel AVI. But none of my other apps would do that for me. Virtual Dub won't accept Mpeg-2s, Quicktime Pro won't save as AVIs, my Any-Video-Converter tells me that it converts it, but then the converted file vanishes into the ether.....

I opened it in Streamclip, and finally managed to export it as an AVI. But it came out weird, with the bottom half of the frame chopped off, the quality really poor, and in a "letterbox effect which allowed the Particle Illusion effects to spill over into the black horizontal bars. There are so many settings for exporting as AVI, and I've obviously picked the wrong ones....

I'll just have to try every setting there is, and see which one works!

Whew! They say Life wasn't meant to be easy........

Thanks, anyway, Steve.

• 3. Re: Non-square to square....(looked everywhere!)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have a version prior to PrE 8? In Export Movie, you can set AVI and choose Square Pixels. I would guess that this would also have moved to Share in PrE 8, but I cannot check. Just alter the Export/Share settings from DV-AVI. You can also use a myriad compressors, depending on what you have installed. I have about 2 dozen choices there.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. I'm using PE7.
                Kurt_777 Level 1

Hunt, seems there are two options after all. I did see the "Export/movie" before in the menu, but it was grayed out. Clicked on the workspace, (or somewhere!!), and it became active!

So, that's good. But even when I manage to export the movie in square pixels, when I bring it into Particle Illusion, apply the effect, then save it again, and then import it back into PE7, it ends up as a poor quality video and is much smaller in the frame.

That's just strange. But anyway, now I know I can export an AVI in square pixels, so that's a step in the right direction. I'll have to keep experimenting.

Thanks, Hunt.

• 5. Re: I'm using PE7.

These same options are, by the way, also available in version 8 under Share/Personal Computer/AVI if you select the Microsoft AVI option -- just as was true of File/Export/Movie in previous versions.

• 6. Re: I'm using PE7.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I assumed that they would all be moved there. In my Pr'E 4, there were differences in the settings, and that is why I mentioned the Export>Movie for earlier versions.

Hunt

• 7. Re: I'm using PE7.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the Export settings in Particle Illusions? AVI, depending on the chosen CODES's should not result in problems, unless there are other variables.

You have found that one must give focus to the Timeline, to use Export>:Movie. Unfortunately, PrE does not add the orange outline to the Timelines, as does PrPro. It's the same there, but with an orange "focus" outline. Otherwise, Export>:Movie is grayed out.

When one includes other programs, one must get the exact info from those, to tell what they do, and the Export settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: I'm using PE7.
                        Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks again, Steve.

• 9. All good.
                          Kurt_777 Level 1

In my googling today, I came across the term "Interpret footage", as it relates to PE7.

So, I exported my footage as square pixels, put it into PI and added the effect.

Then, I brought it back into PE7, and clicked on "interpret footage" in the Edit window.

That handy little feature took my "squared" footage and converted it back to the correct widescreen PAR, and I put it back into the film!

Problem sol ved!.....

Thanks again, gents!

• 10. Re: All good.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Problem solved!.....

Great news!

I was surprised that Interpret Footage in PrE 4's Help file only talked about Clips with Alpha Channels, and nothing more. Odd omission, in my mind. I wanted to verify that PrE had that capability, and what limitations might exist. I use it in PrPro, but had not done so in PrE, so I needed to check, before I posted the instructions for you. Unfortunately, I get the two programs confused all too often.

Glad that it worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: All good.
                              Kurt_777 Level 1

Y'know, Hunt, I looked in PE7's Help pdf, but I couldn't find any mention of "interpret footage". Must have looked in the wrong place... I found it in some related post on this site....

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Thanks,

Kurt.

• 12. Re: All good.
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that Steve Grisetti covers it pretty well in his PrE books, like he does about everything else. Personally, I am a "book person," and find that too many Help files are deficient, or rely too heavily on some odd terminology. Adobe is not alone in this respect. I find that Google, or similar, will often be far better than the Help files, especially if the search turns up entries in this forum, or VideoCoPilot, or the Creative Cow. There's a lot of good info out there, but finding it can take a few searches.

I always attempt to get the terminology for the particular program correct. For terms that are specific to say PrE, I will capitalize those terms, if I take my time, and think about it...

If you have not seen Steve's Muvipix books on PrE, I strongly recommend them. Great resources and a good read too. Besides the workings of PrE, he offers very useful tips on general videography.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: All good.

Hey! That's quite a compliment, Hunt! Thank you.

• 14. Re: All good.
                                    Kurt_777 Level 1

I've seen the ads for the book, Hunt. Maybe I should get it. It would sure save me a lot of time on the Net!

I'm more of a "learn-as-you-go" type. Well, until I have to give up and ask someone, that is!

• 15. Re: All good.
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand. There are different ways in which different people learn. Here's a POST on that subject.

Now, I am a book-guy, and own an overflowing library. I cannot throw out a book, regardless of how much pressure my wife applies. I go back to volumes on PS 3 from time to time!

Now, do not discount this (and the Muvipix) forum. We'd miss you, if you had the answer to every question.

Still, Steve's books are very good. I referred to two of them for other issues just today. For me, PrE is a "step-child," and I also only have PrE 4, and not any of the newer ones. When a question comes up, that is specific to PrE 7, or 8, I rely on Steve's books for the final word. Otherwise, I launch PrE 4 and just check, in hopes that I do not reference something that is only for PrPro. Steve spends half of each day correcting me - "that is NOT available in PrE. You are confusing PrPro and PrE." At least it gives him something to do, when he's not writing books.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: All good.
                                        Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt, nice thing to say.

I absolutely agree about having a library of books!! I've got hundreds, fiction and non-fiction. Many of them are very old and some are probably rare. And I keep collecting more every time I go to the garage sales on weekends, and I haunt the local book exchange. And, yes, I can never bring myself to throw a book away, even if I've read it several times. In fact, if it's good enough to read twice, that's all the more reason for keeping it!

But with software, where I know I have to hit the keyboard sooner or later, I tend to dive in and ask questions only when I meet obstacles that stump me. Which probably explains why I've asked a few questions here that many others have already asked. For this query, I actually remembered to do a search first... (I sometimes forget that bit...)

I'll go and check out that post you linked to. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 17. Re: All good.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

You are more like my lovely wife, than me, when it comes to technical stuff. She want to see it done, and then do it. She's read one manual in her life, regardless of her advanced degrees. I want to read all about it, then do it, and last see it done. It's all about how one learns.

Good luck,

Hunt